Great job NOD32!

Super_Spartan

What you have to repair in this case is just to uninstall the programs.

There is a difference between malware and PUA.

Have you ever removed a cryptolocker from a system?

no nothing that serious bro. but these people who have thos PUA come to me complaining, my PC is so slow, has a lot of popups and erratic behaviour.

I usually clean them by uninstalling them with Geek Uninstaller then scan for their leftover files/registry remnants

next, I use AdwCleaner which then finds many browser hijacks / search tools probably got them through those crapy PUAs or who knows.......

next I run MBAM + SAS to get rid of anything else + tracking cookies

next I install a good free AV if they don't wanna pay otherwise I recommend them to buy NOD32 which my last client agreed to install the demo of NOD32 and will buy it soon, then run a final scan

Edited by MaXimus

Not - by change - from softonic? ;)

Yeah seems like it judging by the detection popup, maybe Nero has a partnership with Softonic so when someone downloads it from their website they actually get it from softonic with some bundle stuff. Just stupid to do this with pay software.

Just stupid to do this with pay software.

Yes, SweX! You're completely right.

I tested it right now and yes it goes to softonic. Before that it says "powered by softonic" and then it tries to download it from softonic.

Additionally it requires an e-mail-address.

Edited by rugk

I tested it right now and yes it goes to softonic. Before it says "powered by softonic" and then it tries to download it from softonic.

Additionally it reqiures an e-mail-address before that.

Wow, it's just low to do it like that for some extra $$$. I put Nero on my shady business behavior list.... :ph34r:

I tested it right now and yes it goes to softonic. Before it says "powered by softonic" and then it tries to download it from softonic.

Additionally it reqiures an e-mail-address before that.

Wow, it's just low to do it like that for some extra $$$. I put Nero on my shady business behavior list.... :ph34r:

I used to upgrade my Nero Platinum every year paying about $100 USD, no more! It's enough that they charge an arm and a leg for their software, now they include crapware and host files on a shady site + require your email to spam you just for downloading a Demo

Yeah that's really not "nice" behaviour.

A good free alternative (for the burning part) is ImgBurn.

Although... :unsure:

The program tries to place a Uniblue shortcut on the desktop and to install the Ask Toolbar. Both of which can be unselected so that they are not installed.

hxxp://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/17/dvd-burning-software-imgburn-updated-turns-adware/

However I find the software itself quite good.

Edited by rugk

Yeah that's really not "nice" behaviour.

A good free alternative (for the burning part) is ImgBurn.

Although... :unsure:

The program tries to place a Uniblue shortcut on the desktop and to install the Ask Toolbar. Both of which can be unselected so that they are not installed.

hxxp://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/17/dvd-burning-software-imgburn-updated-turns-adware/

However I find the software itself quite good.

Please don't tell me you are comparing a basic burner like ImgBurn to a full comprehensive suite like Nero Platinum, you simply cannot compare the two.

Burning a music CD or a DVD with ImgBurn requires some research online and isn't intuitive at all.

The reason I use NERO is, let's say I wanna burn a DVD to be played on any DVD player from the videos I have, simply drag/drop them in Nero Video and it will do all the necessary conversion to make it in a way / format that works on any DVD player. Also, it has Nero RECODE, which is the fastest and best video converter from one format to the other hands down. It's not even fair to compare them as Nero Platinum is a full fledged suite whereas ImgBurn is a poor little burner that is only good for burning basic data discs or ISO images.

Yes like I said I only mentioned it as an alternative for burning. And even it of course has less features and yes it's not such easy to handle.

And I didn't compared them. The one who compares it now are you.

Edited by rugk

@rugk

yes I was talking about interactive firewall mode :D

I tested it too with a firewall leak test (I don't know if i can write the name so i didn't write it :) ) and the result score is 230 on a total of 340, not too much, but still one of the best I've tried. If it can be useful to fix these leaks I post the result here (I'd removed the test sofware name):

hxxp://i.imgur.com/dwHO99E.jpg

About ESS actually I use another security solution that have a very good antivirus but a poor firewall, is licensed for other 5 months, maybe later I will change to ESS

@MaXimus

You can try CDBurnerXP, is free and if you need it only for burning (video, data or audio) it has quite the same features as Nero
https://cdburnerxp.se/en/features

I tested it too with a firewall leak test (I don't know if i can write the name so i didn't write it :) ) and the result score is 230 on a total of 340, not too much, but still one of the best I've tried. If it can be useful to fix these leaks I post the result here (I'd removed the test sofware name):

Thanks for the test - I think ESET will appreciate it.

With what firewall mode tested you it?

@rugk

yes I was talking about interactive firewall mode :D

That test "tool" is quite old though, and made a developer that makes security products, and obviously their own products scores best in that test, and HIPS afaik also plays a role in it, so it's not a pure firewall test. But I can assure that EPF is far from being crapp. And EPF is not only a firewall as it also has protection capabilities in the botnet protection and vuln shield.

You could say that this "leak test" is more of a marketing tool for the developer and their own products than a serious test tool.  :)

Edited by SweX

@SweX

Thanks for this information.

I was also surprised that there are things that haven't to do many with a firewall.