Eset InternetSecurity blocks Access to IMAPS Account

We recently upgrading our mail server from old vexim to current stable postfix/devcot ... and now my thunderbird ist not able to connect to the imap-accounts on this server.

i have to disable ssl/tls checking in the advanced settings. reenabling it (and regenerating a certficate) does not solve the problem.

i have generated some log files ... where should i sent the to?

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  2. Reboot the machine
  3. Reproduce the issue
  4. Stop logging
  5. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

My problem with Eset's scanning of my AOL/Yahoo based IMAPS e-mail in Thunderbird is it has never scanned my e-mail. Multiple past postings in the forum about this has been met with silence. As such, I don't believe Eset is the reason for you not being able to receive e-mail via IMAPS in Thunderbird.

I also use my ISP provided e-mail and Eset scans its Thunderbird POPS based e-mail w/o issue.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, itman said:

As such, I don't believe Eset is the reason for you not being able to receive e-mail via IMAPS in Thunderbird.

If i deactivate SSL-Scanning, Thunderbird is able to receive the mails.

K9-Mail (Android) has also no problem with these accounts. I don't think, our mailserver has a problem.

3 hours ago, wolkenkrieger said:

If i deactivate SSL-Scanning, Thunderbird is able to receive the mails.

Verify that Eset's certificate exists in Thunderbird's authorities certificate store. If it doesn't, you will have to add it manually.

Getting back to my AOL e-mail issue with Eset, it appears the issue with Eset non-scanning of IMAPS e-mail is related to OAuth2 sign-on verification used by AOL. If you use OAuth for verification, that also might be a factor.

You could try playing with T-Bird's Eset cert. Trust settings. If identify mail users isn't set on, set it on. If it's on, set it off. See it this makes any difference. For a third party e-mail provider, the setting appears to have no impact on anything.

Eset_TBird_Cert.png.4aa234dbd05ed799b83ccd08f7fe576f.png

24 minutes ago, wolkenkrieger said:

this is checked default, right?

I believe it was disabled by default on my T-Bird installation.

As I recollect, all the setting does is cache the e-mail in T-Bird. If the security solution deletes the e-mail by mistake, it can be recovered from the cache.

An additional thought here is you might want to verify that your T-Bird Security settings; Connection and Authentication, sync with those set on your e-mail server. Some playing with those might be necessary.

Let's say you set Authentication to TLS Certificate. You added your own cert. to T-Bird's Authorities certificate store. This won't work since Eset's cert. is being used for Authentication.

Eset_TBird_Security.png.5d36b9617f5ac4ec880b663b4e2a2aeb.png

Edited by itman

Reviewing past forum postings on this issue of which there are many, disable the highlighted setting in the below screenshot and see if that makes a difference. If it does, it means your e-mail server is encrypting e-mail using SSLv2 or below.

Eset_SSLv2.thumb.png.85602393369caa26608b8443b86f62ea.png

@Marcos

I have deleted my uploaded log files. I think, Eset is not interested in supporting a longterm customer, who owns multiple payed licenses.

Good to know for the future 😕

@itman

Thx for your time. i have testet all these settings before i opened this threat. the thunderbird at my linux laptop has no problem with my mailserver. also my android smartphone has also no problem with my mailserver. i don't tzhink, my server is the problem :)

• Administrators

I've just received a response from developers. The issue will be addressed in Internet protection module 1449, available on the pre-release update channel in a couple of days.

In the mean time, you can exclude Thundebird from application protocol filtering here:

image.png

Last but not least, please keep in mind that this forum is not meant to be a replacement of support tickets. Only a support ticket can be tracked to ensure timely response either by ESET staff or ESET developers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The said Internet protection module is currently on beta update servers so obviously the issue could not be fixed yet. You can switch to the pre-release update channel to get it as soon as it's released, probably on Nov 2 or next week.