No Update NOD32 through program

sdalgl72

Yeah V8 installs over V7 works fine.

"Uninstall the beta?"

Yes Sir.

You should uninstall Beta and reinstall new version 8 GA build

https://forum.eset.com/topic/2984-eset-smart-security-and-eset-nod32-antivirus-8-beta-available/?p=19237

That's what I was afraid of.

Here goes. :(

I'm DONE. All 4 computers now have Version 8. :)

Here goes  :D Good job Joe now you can relax and enjoy till next time  ;)

Yep

Just my thoughts:

1. I think it is intended that it isn't released as an PCU*, maybe they want to wait until the remaining language version were published.
  2. But I also think that they will publish it as a PCU*, because this of course isn't a small update that only provides bug fixes. If they wouldn't do then it can be that many users will stuck at the old version and this wouldn't be nice.

* Yes I know that it is more than a program components update, but you know that I mean the publishing through the internal product updater.

And just FYI, because I read you should download the offline installer: You can also use the online/live installer. I tested it and it has upgraded ESS v7 to ESS v8 without any problems.

Edited by rugk

To be honest guys I couldn't wait and went around with the offline install on my 2 machines and it went over the top with out a hitch.  I do have the product update checked regular enabled so no more messing around for me for another year.  

As from my experience the semi-automatic updates (since ever) only worked within a major release  ( mostly not even with in between), so a version 7 will NOT notify user that a version 8 is available  ( internal modul changes will work OK ).

At least in Germany I have not seen, that a registred customer was even notified by mail, that a new major version is available.
Also with previous version there have been various requests to at least notify users ( e.g. by a yellow ! ), that a new version is available for download even if automatic update is not possible.....
Consider this....

As from my experience the semi-automatic updates (since ever) only worked within a major release  ( mostly not even with in between), so a version 7 will NOT notify user that a version 8 is available  ( internal modul changes will work OK ).

My experiences are different. E.g. ESS v6 notified a user (when clicking on check for product upgrade) that ESS v7 is available.

That's the function of "check for product upgrade"! If it wouldn't inform the user then it wouldn't "check for [a] product upgrade"!

And to make some things clear:

1. Module updates are something different. They will updated for every supported ESET software with the VSD updates!
  2. You have to click the button to check for a upgrade! You won't be informed automatically by default.
  3. If you want to check automatically for product updates you have to configure this.
  4. You can use the online installer to upgrade. It will automatically download the latest available version.
Edited by rugk

"Important: Before the installation we recommend you uninstall all other security solutions, including older versions of ESET. Click here to learn more."

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/2/

"Click here" link is to the ESET AV Removal tool, recommended instead of Windows uninstall process.  The page fails to mention the command script: "WARNING! This tool uninstalls AV product in non-standard way.  Your PC can be harmed seriously, please back up your data....continue? (y/n)"
Another kb page goes through each step of using it.

No reason given for uninstalling ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 (7.0.317.5) first. 
I did so and had to reactivate after installing ESET 8.

Using Windows uninstaller the Quarantine folder is still present, I chose to secure delete its contents.

Edited by Bono