Browser extensions

Go to solution Solved by Revenir,

Hi all,

New user of Eset internet security, coming over from Bitdefender which was a little bit different....Well I'm finding the eset software quite user friendly indeed, and understand (mostly) the basic functions of how it works, I do have a question regarding browser extenstions.

So my question is, historically I've used a few security extension in google chrome (malwarebytes browser extension, Bitdefender traffic light, and UBlock origin) I use all three of them at the same time...Do I still need to use these extensions now having eset internet security or can I safely remove them? and if I can/should keep them, which ones should I continue to use?

Thanks for any input.

• Marcos changed the title to Browser extensions

Web site of Bitdefender plugin says:

It is a free cross-browser add-on that intercepts, processes, and filters all Web traffic, blocking any malicious content

Imho thats unnecessary duplicity because ESET does this too w/o the need of extra plugin.

I think uBlock filters ads, ESET doesnt do that (unless they are malicious or exhibit similar behavior). No idea about MB plugin tho, it could be mix of the other two plugins.

Edited by Nevermind

ESET by default can scan HTTPS traffic so a browser extension is not necessary. Corresponding browser extensions should be installed if you are using AVs without HTTPS scanning feature like Norton, McAfee, Emsisoft, and F-Secure.

8 hours ago, Nevermind said:

Web site of Bitdefender plugin says:

It is a free cross-browser add-on that intercepts, processes, and filters all Web traffic, blocking any malicious content

Imho thats unnecessary duplicity because ESET does this too w/o the need of extra plugin.

I think uBlock filters ads, ESET doesnt do that (unless they are malicious or exhibit similar behavior). No idea about MB plugin tho, it could be mix of the other two plugins.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I did have my suspicions that this may have been going a little overboard, I have removed mbam and traffic light, I'll keep uBlock for now, and it seems to be useful for ad blocking....thanks allot much appreciated. 

• Solution
3 hours ago, AnthonyQ said:

ESET by default can scan HTTPS traffic so a browser extension is not necessary. Corresponding browser extensions should be installed if you are using AVs without HTTPS scanning feature like Norton, McAfee, Emsisoft, and F-Secure.

Thanks you so much for the input, I have removed mbam and traffic light, will keep uBlock for the ad block features, I have Eset at it's default install settings (because I really don't know how/what to change) but it seems to have everything active from default, so I try that....thanks very much

• ESET Insiders
On 7/25/2022 at 4:28 PM, Revenir said:

Thanks for your reply, yeah I did have my suspicions that this may have been going a little overboard, I have removed mbam and traffic light, I'll keep uBlock for now, and it seems to be useful for ad blocking....thanks allot much appreciated. 

Good plan, I use uBlock myself. You'll need that to block ads but security wise you should be good.