ESET Smart Security 7 Beta & ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 Beta Released – Give Feedback and win

I always put beta software onto a machine with a sense of trepidation - and I've skipped a few betas - or chosen to load them to Virtual machines, just so I can trash the VM if there are issues I have not anticipated - or - more accurately, can't be bothered dealing with... but this v7 beta of ESET Smart Security is actually the best beta I've used in years - no issues so far - no crashes - no slowing down of the machine beyond what I've experienced in previous version... and maybe even LESS of a load than version 6 was... I'm pretty impressed so far!

• ESET Insiders

Hello Peter,

in that folder dumps of ESET service are being written in case of crash.

Open ESET Smart Security/ ESET NOD32 Antivirus -> press F5 -> Tools -> Diagnostics -> select "do not generate memory dump" from the Dump type drop-down menu and confirm by OK.

I went to these settings in order to change the location of these diagnostic files (C drive is auto-imaged and the quantity and size of this folder was adversely affecting my imaging) so my partition imaging would not be affected. Even though I could browse to the new location, I could neither select that location or paste the new path there. In short, even though the setting was there for me to change, I was not allowed to change it. Is this a bug or a feature not fully implemented yet? Thanks...

• Former ESET Employees

Perhaps someone can help. I downloaded and installed the software and I can't activate it because no email ever showed up.

With the beta there is no activation email. At the end of the installation process, when asked to activate you can either choose "Activate Beta" OR if you've upgraded over v5 or v6, it will should remember your license credentials.

I did a clean install of v7 beta around 6 days ago (been using NOD32 for around 6 years now) and found it to be a very stable beta.

However 2 days ago virus signature updates stopped working, I tried a manual update but just got the message that my sig database was up to date. I checked the ESET website and my database was behind by 4 updates.

Uninstalled for now as I haven't got the time to work out why this is happening. Now back to version 6.0.316

Hi Devs,

A few words on ESS v7 beta

- the installation process (in my case - an upgrade from v6) took something like 10 minutes, on my i3 Thinkpad with 6 GB of RAM (Win7 x64), which is quite unacceptable; It should be a lot less, somewhere around 90 seconds.

On the install screens, it might worth explaining what Automatic / Interactive / Policy-based / Learning modes mean, maybe have them as radio buttons with comments

Bugs

In the Help and support section

Specialized cleaner - nothing happens when clicking on "Yes" and the link to the knowledge base (hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=3322&viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) leads to "Article not found"

In the Scan window

Percentage is not accurately computed - it remained at 99% for minutes and minutes, before it ended

In the Updates section

After resume from hibernate, it's stuck on signature updates

Cheers,

Bogdan

I did a clean install of v7 beta around 6 days ago (been using NOD32 for around 6 years now) and found it to be a very stable beta.

However 2 days ago virus signature updates stopped working, I tried a manual update but just got the message that my sig database was up to date. I checked the ESET website and my database was behind by 4 updates.

Uninstalled for now as I haven't got the time to work out why this is happening. Now back to version 6.0.316

Hi,

I had the same issue yesterday. I could able to resolve the issue by clearing the update cache in the advanced setting window...fyi

-Harsha

Hello,

I like the new version of Smart Security 7. I like the new icon in the notification area/tray and I also like the scan ESET performs shortly after install. Detection on threats also seems persistently well, which I'm very glad to see. However, there are a few things I'd like to address:

• I would like to see a new user interface (UI). I'm not saying the one it has now is bad, but maybe something a little more different.

• I would also like to see some kind of toolbar added into the web browsers that show each site a user hits is safe or dangerous and also have ratings by search results in search engines and links on other web pages, webmail, etc.

• Finally, I would like to see ESET implement its own sound set into the ESET products for when threats are detected or when the program needs the user's attention rather than using the Windows sound sets. I have found that using the Windows sound sets can sometimes be confusing when you don't know if Windows needs your attention or ESET does.

Overall, a great product and I look forward to upgrading my existing Smart Security product to the next version when it becomes available.  :)

Guest Facundo Martin Erramuspe

Installed on Windosws 7 Ultimate x64 with no problems. nice looks.

Perhaps someone can help. I downloaded and installed the software and I can't activate it because no email ever showed up.

With the beta there is no activation email. At the end of the installation process, when asked to activate you can either choose "Activate Beta" OR if you've upgraded over v5 or v6, it will should remember your license credentials.

I can confirm this worked fine. My license expiring in 2015 still shows as such in v7 beta.

--

bc

I had some issues with the install, but I had a non-beta version of ESET installed. Once I removed all previous versions the install was clean and the activation process was very simple. I will run my first scan tonight and update my post.

Hi,

I downloaded and installed ESET NOD32 Antivirus7 beta. It is running along with Outpost Firewall and The OS is WIN 7 SP1  x64.

The installation went smoothly without a hitch. The two processes ekrn.exe and the eset gui program together use only about 90 MB of RAM, which is very good.

I have a couple of problems. 

1) I think the eset http scanner is interfering with the ASUS RT N66u admin page (especially on Google chrome). Some of the UI elements on the admin page are missing ( page looks like it is not completely loaded).

2) I think it is related to the http scanner, The speed test websites like speedtest.net and speak easy websites do not work properly, they either give a error message outright or hag in between and never complete. Also I think it interferes with pages having plugin content like tunein.com (radio stream does not play).

In both the cases the web browser was google chrome v27( i think the latest version).

The above two issues are due to the AV program only because after I uninstalled the program everything works normally.

I will try disabling the http scaner portion of the AV and see what happens and will update.

Thanks,

Arvind

clean install -- no problems detected.

running smoothly.

gamer mode looks interesting-- but does that mean that it won't scan any files?  it should detect game usage automatically rather than turning on and off.

clean install -- no problems detected.

running smoothly.

gamer mode looks interesting-- but does that mean that it won't scan any files?  it should detect game usage automatically rather than turning on and off.

It doesn't stop detection, it just stops notifications. The system remains 100% protected under Game Mode and it's all done automatically. 

I installed ESS V7 beta yesterday (clean install). So far it is working smoothly.

I like new tray icon - I had sometimes problems with finding previous one;

I can't recall wheather V6 had "Social Media Scanner" but I used it and it seems to be working just fine (however I don't know why it wanted permission to post on my board with my name);

When I scanned my computer yesterday it was constantly showing 99% of execution even in the early stages of scanning - but I see this problem has already been submited earlier.

And Anti-theft is working, but it seems to be little slow.

Enjoy!

kornelcio

Edited by kornelcio

Installed 7.0.28.0 over the top ( ;) ) of 6.0.316.1. So far I do not notice any issues.

Win 7 Ultimate (64) also running MBAM.

No slowdowns or what so ever, really nothing.

Gerard

Well, I got a couple of issues so far, the first one is really weird and I have never seen it before:

1) I got an error "this programm has stopped working" on the installer a few seconds after starting install. However, I dismissed the message (one of the choices was "close the program" which I selected) but install still continued and was able to complete. I've upgraded directly over v6. This is weird becuase this never hapenned to me before, I've never had Windows Installer crashing, much less crashing and kept running after termination. I know my PC is not in top shape though (need to reformat soon) due to lots of install/uninstall of many software with leftovers, and very little space left on my C drive.

2) Error communicating with driver for HIPS, and HIPS does not start. I suspect this one may be fixed by a reboot which I wil try shortly.

Otherwise I like the update. Not too many changes in the UI from previous versions so the transition was easy, but still a few noticeable new features. A "First Scan" started by itself after install and startup. I did not check the exact time but I would put the first scan at around 10 minutes after completion of setup. This is a good way of ensuring a system scan as we all know many people install an antivirus and never (or rarely) scan afterward, and it's good to establish the baseline of a system. I did not find the "Vulnerability shield" feature announced in the changelog, unless this refers to "social media scan" option under tools. This latter option opens a facebook app page asking you if you want to opt in (I disallowed the permission to post on my behalf) then it brings you to a facebook app page from which you can run a profile scan, or scan your PC directly from the browser. Run Profile Scan found nothing in my case, and scan my computer from the browser redirected me to a ESET Online Scanner download page.

Overall, great job despite my minor install issue which I really suspect to be due more to the state of my PC than to the installer itself, and a few improvements/new features which are welcome.

PS: I am on Windows 7 x64, no Service pack and no Windows update have been installed. I am reformatting my PC next weekend so I've been putting off installing updates until the reformat but I've been telling me this for months now...

You need to install SP1, otherwise you'll not get anymore updates. If my mind is serving me correctly, those who didn't install SP1 for Windows 7 gets no more updates as of April 2013. I had this same issue with my Toshiba, had to install SP1 manually. Here's the link, make sure you select the correct bit version.

hxxp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Best of Luck,

Cat

Installed ESET NOD32 V7 on my Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP3, runs like a champ. The initial scan completed perfectly & all is fine. This replaced MSE on this machine.

Also installed ESET Smart Security V7 on my Toshiba with same results. This replaced AVG 2013 Free, which was good for a free product, however not the quality of ESET. Resource usage has improved on both computers, resulting in better browser response. Initial scan was clean, though I do run the ESET Online Scanner every two weeks on these & one other. I didn't expect V7 to find anything due to my aggresive scanning & being extra careful as to what I click onto.

I'm a licensed ESET NOD32 6 AV user, have used the brand going on the 3rd year now. Have 5 computers with several Windows installs, with only a 3 PC license, had to skimp on security on my less important OS's. Those makes a good test ground though & with the upcoming drop of support for XP, the users who continue to run the OS will need the best security possible. ESET should fill the slot fine, as it did with Windows 2000 for 2 to 3 years after drop of support.

As usual, when running Firefox, my default browser, the warning about the NoScript site came up. a good sign that V7 is functioning properly. Many users expects to see not too many changes from version to version. However the changes that ESET has provided has always been for the better (like the Anti-Theft beginning with V6 Smart Security).

I look forward to being a regular here, as I also tested V6 for months before the final release was available. Have lots of beta testing experience the last 3-4 years, beginning with Windows 7 Beta/RC & Windows 7 CP/RP (from Day 1 of CP), am a moderator on a Windows 8 forum. Besides ESET, I've beta tested also for MSE, AVG & F-Secure.

Please keep up the great work. It took me 3 years & a half dozen purchases of paid security apps before I discovered ESET. I'll continue to use the ESET brand as long as it provides me the excellent protection that it has & will continue to recommend it to others as a premier security product.

Cat

Hi Devs,

A few words on ESS v7 beta

- the installation process (in my case - an upgrade from v6) took something like 10 minutes, on my i3 Thinkpad with 6 GB of RAM (Win7 x64), which is quite unacceptable; It should be a lot less, somewhere around 90 seconds.

On the install screens, it might worth explaining what Automatic / Interactive / Policy-based / Learning modes mean, maybe have them as radio buttons with comments

Bugs

In the Help and support section

Specialized cleaner - nothing happens when clicking on "Yes" and the link to the knowledge base (hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=3322&viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) leads to "Article not found"

In the Scan window

Percentage is not accurately computed - it remained at 99% for minutes and minutes, before it ended

In the Updates section

After resume from hibernate, it's stuck on signature updates

Cheers,

Bogdan

90 second installs? I have an MSI with an i5 & 8GB RAM, the install took about 3 minutes. Still, this is an improvement over previous versions. Plus no reboot was required. When there is improvement, no matter how slight, I'll take it. Install times also depends on the ISP speed, which if a cable one, may vary during peak times.

The "99%" complete even shows as such with the ESET Online Scanner, even though it may still scan for another 30 minutes or so, & also shows for a bit on V6. Kind of like a gas gauge on an auto, it's not an exact science. Ever notice how long it stays on Full, then once it begins to drop, it does so as a rock? That bugs me more than the "99%' complete does, as I know that I'm soon going to pay for more fuel. No one year subscriptions there.

Cat

ESET NOD 32 Antivirus Beta 7 is an outstanding Product Both In Terms Of Performance & In Terms Of Security. . .I have been using it since 1 week and i must say i'm really impressed by the product. . . .The most awesome feature of ESET products is it's low memory usage unlike other "RAM eating BUGS". . . .The Tray icon change is also very impressive. . . .Another striking feature is the updation of  right click context menu from "Full Scan" to "clean With ESET",which amazingly saves time n provides greater security . . . .Personally,I am 100% satisfied by the product n I recommend it to my friends & relatives. . . .Thanking The ESET Crew Wholeheartedly and Sincerely.

Heys,

Just installed v7 AV (Not a clean, installed over ver6) - My thoughts are as follows.

- Installation was fast (using pci-ex ssd) and without errors just like i remembered with ver4, 5, and 6 *Less then 90 seconds i might add*

- License carried over and my sub is still active till November !

- Agreed, the old taskbar icon was far greater in design and perspective, and i always looked forward to the next color to be used by the company. :)

- Not sure if this is new but ( Enable gamer mode in full screen apps automatically ) ? If i missed this in previous versions, that is a nice feature indeed for gamers !

- I love how the exclusions carried over from ver6 , maybe this was due to files in Appdata and ProgramData sections ? Very awesome

- Idle state detection to start scan running? fairly useful

- Tested Outlook plugin with Outlook 2010 Proffessional Plus! Plugin loaded without errors. (Attempted to scan the root inbox of 1 mail account - no change, Highlighted all mail items within Inbox - no change) (*Repeat already scanned messages selected )

I am unsure whether the plugin is communicating the commands back to the program main handle to be executed or not. Whether its a backgroundworker or initializing the main form to start an action, it may need another look !

Thanks ESET for your free beta test of ver7.

I will continue testing and submitting feedback.

System:
Win7 Home Prem. 64bit

OCZ Revodrive SSD Pci-ex

x2 GTX 285

QX9650 @ 4.1ghz

4GB Ram - Mushkin High Perf.

Edited by Arakasi