How Do You Set Up Your Software

sdalgl72

Hey, 

I am not new to NOD32 but I am new to the forum and was wondering whether you guys change anything from the default when using it?  I myself have been running it for 8 months on its default settings having chose for it to detect unwanted programs as well and I am happy with it.  Just wondering if I should really change anything or if any of you do then why

I use the defaults BUT I do set up for a scheduled scan at 5:00 P.M. on Friday AND also idle- state scanning.

With idle-state scanning it scans when my screen saver is running.

Enjoy this great program. :)

Yeah it works very great with default settings, but feel free to go through the settings and look what you can adjust. So you can explore all the possibilities of ESET NOD32.

E.g. if you are an experienced computer user, you can change the HIPS mode (to interactive) that will let you control almost all activities on your system.*

But if you don't like to get bothered by allow/block-messages, you'd better let it in automatic mode.

* BTW on ESS you can do something similar with the firewall.

Edited by rugk

HIPS on interactive had my PC for some reason come grinding to a stop managed to allow most things in order to get the settings back to what they should be.  That was interesting.

If you'd like to get it - no problem. :)

Here you can change the HIPS mode:

post-3952-0-36686100-1412269054_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-40901600-1412269053_thumb.png

More information (how to change) the HIPS mode(s) you can find here: Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) - Advanced setup

And more information about HIPS generally are here: What is HIPS in ESET Smart Security/NOD32 Antivirus?

I set everything to maximum protection & strict cleaning. HIPS in automatic mode.

Okay...

Just remember that there is a new Smart mode in the 8th version of the ESET software. This will only ask you at suspicious actions.

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys got any experience with smart mode I have been tempted to use it as opposed to automatic

Currently I haven't made any experience with the smart mode compared to the automatic mode.

But as @Marcos stated in one of his posts:

Smart mode should be interactive mode with user's interactions reduced to the bare minimum. Currently it works more-less the same way as automatic mode but this will be continually improved by module updates.

So I think it isn't a bad idea to change HIPS to smart mode. :)

Edited by rugk

Well I can confirm that I have changed the hips to smart mode and haven't had any new pop ups.  So I guess I will sit back and watch this space.  

Just trying to decide whether I really need to upgrade to Smart Security.  I would say not as I am always on my home network and got a hardware firewall working for me.  So unless you guys can give me a really good reason to upgrade think I am going to stick with just the antivirus 

Here you can see the differences from NOD32:

The feature I want to highlight are the firewall with - like in HIPS - many modes from automatic to interactive and the new botnet protection in v8.

• Former ESET Employees

Well I can confirm that I have changed the hips to smart mode and haven't had any new pop ups.  So I guess I will sit back and watch this space.  

Just trying to decide whether I really need to upgrade to Smart Security.  I would say not as I am always on my home network and got a hardware firewall working for me.  So unless you guys can give me a really good reason to upgrade think I am going to stick with just the antivirus 

Your hardware firewall monitors packet data between the internet and your computer. If by chance something got passed the hardware firewall your network could become infected. In this scenario a software firewall will protect your computer if the hardware firewall fails. Think of it as two gatekeepers. Another positive for software firewalls is that you get notifications when a possibly unknown application is attempting to access the internet. You can also choose which applications you want connecting to the internet at any moment. For example, there was an exploit found on a certain application that uses the internet, you can choose to block that application until a patch has been released without the need to uninstall it outright. No matter what software firewall you choose, it is a good idea to have both a hardware and software firewall. In general, multi-layer security is always a good idea.