I  was trying to install Vivaldi Browser.  But under Vivaldi Installer info it said [0627/195130.520:ERROR:install_worker.cc(150)] Failed creating a firewall rules.  So I went to Control Panel Windows Defender Firewall and looked at inbound there is no firewall rules.  Like all my other browsers.  So I uninstalled it but I was wondering if my computer will be alright or does that program still have access to my firewall?

i should add more information.  I could play games at Pogo.com and look stuff up.  I'm just worried now that I found that error log that my computer is at risk? I went an uninstalled the program when I found that log.  I just need to know that they don't have access to my computer after uninstalling the browser?

• Administrators

If you use ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security then the network communication is controlled by ESET's firewall so any rules created by applications for the Windows firewall would be ignored anyways unless you activate Windows firewall instead.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Purpleroses said:

I'm using Eset Internet Security.  So I don't need to worry about things then. 

If you have uninstalled the program it will be fine. Vivaldi is a well known browser so it is safe if installed from the official site. If you want to use it try installing it and looking into Eset's firewall troubleshooter wizard which shows you if something is being blocked and allows you to unblock it

Thank you for the info.  I have one more question I have Eset firewall set to automatic mode.  Where would you find all the rules if it is set to automatic mode?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

I don't see anything in there for browsers like firefox etc

All outbound communication is allowed in automatic mode.

Thank you Marcos.  I thought that if I did not see rules for web browsers that I was not protected.  But thank you for explaining it to me.

Edited by Purpleroses

Wilderssecurity.com has a thread dedicated to  Vivaldi browser: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/former-opera-ceo-launches-vivaldi-a-new-browser-for-power-users.372796/page-75 .

I suggest you go there and post about your installation issues. I sure someone there can help you.

12 hours ago, Marcos said:

So, in Automatic Mode ESET firewall is not different than the native Windows Firewall????

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, rotaru said:

So, in Automatic Mode ESET firewall is not different than the native Windows Firewall????

Interactive mode allows you to set rules up as a program launches. It will ask to allow/deny, remember etc.

Most people use Automatic mode as it is far less technical and will give far less popup windows asking for decisions.

Eset also has a problem with Windows Store applications and other programs that change their folder name each update. Eset firewall remembers rules by location.

For example if the program stays in C:\Program Files\program name it will remember the rule. However it won't work if it is like this C:\Program Files\program name\1.2 if every time there is an update e.g. next is 1.3 as the folder name changes eset will ask each update because to them the location has changed 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

If using Automatic Mode how is Eset protecting me with allowing all outbound traffic?

It blocks all non-initiated inbound communication so attackers cannot reach your machine.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

It blocks all non-initiated inbound communication so attackers cannot reach your machine

23 hours ago, Marcos said:

So, with these two statements we can conclude that ESET firewall in "Automatic Mode" has ABSOLUTELY the same functionality as Windows Firewall.