Dkservice.exe Unknown?

Joe Blow

Dear all,

Just a quick question. I have Diskeeper 2010 Build: (14.0.915.0) running on Win7 Home Prem 32.

Everything is just fine with my PC. Totally fine.

But when I go to (NOD32 Anti V 7, latest version) “running processes” all my risk level icons are green apart from dkservice.exe. That has an alert triangle "Risk Level: Unknown.

I have no pirate software and the Diskeeper (excellent product BTW) is also totally legit. I also use the AAA+ brands for secondary malware scans on a schedule. Again clean as the (anyone too young to get the analogy, don’t ask, its too horrible) Walton's. 

I know this is kind of a non event, but as I have very sensitive work and legal documents on this PC it would be nice to know why this should be happening.

Many Thanks in advance.

If a file is "unknown" it don't have to be malware. Like the word says it is just not known.

But to say what the file is you of course have to provide us some more information. At first the file path and secondly the file itself.

And if you have very sensitive documents and so on I can only suggest to encrypt them. That's a good first step to secure your data. (another good step is to use 2FA)

Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

As Rugk noted, ESET LiveGrid does not tell you whether a file is malicious or not. What it does tell you is how prevalent that file is, or, in other words, how frequently ESET sees it on customers' computers.

A risk classification of "unknown" might occur if a file is relatively new or not commonly seen by ESET LiveGrid.

Given the that the file in question comes from a software package which is apparently five years old, it is possible that it hasn't been seen by ESET's LiveGrid system because newer versions are more commonly in use these days. If that is the case, upgrading to a more recent version of Diskeeper might return a different result.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

If a file is "unknown" it don't have to be malware. Like the words says it is just not known.

But to say what the file is you of course have to provide us some more information. At first the file path and secondly the file itself.

And if you have very sensitive documents and so on I can only suggest to encrypt them. That's a good first step to secure your data. (another good step is to use 2FA)

Thank you for your answer. I din't say I thought it was malware. My question was slightly different and prehaps not well worded. English being 3rd language of choice.

All my files are all containered using open source software. All my systems are authenticated using multifactor key systems. Every sensitive documents are opened in virtual enviroments. I totally agree with your statements and thank you for your time. But I'm well covered in that respect.

2FA looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Hello,

As Rugk noted, ESET LiveGrid does not tell you whether a file is malicious or not. What it does tell you is how prevalent that file is, or, in other words, how frequently ESET sees it on customers' computers.

A risk classification of "unknown" might occur if a file is relatively new or not commonly seen by ESET LiveGrid.

Given the that the file in question comes from a software package which is apparently five years old, it is possible that it hasn't been seen by ESET's LiveGrid system because newer versions are more commonly in use these days. If that is the case, upgrading to a more recent version of Diskeeper might return a different result.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you for your reply. While I agree the software in point is 5 years old, it was however designed for the 5 year old OS it runs on. IE: Windows 7. All my other software that is also 5 years old is not flaged as "unknown". Diskeeper is upto date, as is all the other "old" software. Secunia is happy its upto date, so is Diskeeper, so am I.

To say something is "Unknown" when that statement is coming from a security software I have used since NOD32's inception causes concern. Because, well, "unknown" is unknown. Why is it unknown? Has my AV let me down for the first time ever? How can It not know one of the internets leading AAA defragmenter systems?

That leaves doubt! Doubt is not something people who are smart enought to choose ESET products like. I am not saying its malware. I am not saying its a huge flaw in ESET and im going to another product. Ever. 

Im just saying when I see NOD32 doesn't know a extremly common file then I have doubt. Is that file genuine? Triangles with exclamations in them are normaly not good.

I can see someone less knowlagable deleting files that are "Unknown" and making a big mess.

My post was more to make a point than ask what a digitaly sound file was.

Again, thank you for your time and excelent software.

Thank you for your reply. While I agree the software in point is 5 years old, it was however designed for the 5 year old OS it runs on. IE: Windows 7. All my other software that is also 5 years old is not flaged as "unknown". Diskeeper is upto date, as is all the other "old" software. Secunia is happy its upto date, so is Diskeeper, so am I.

Ah... So dkservice.exe belongs to Diskeeper. But to prove this of course the path have to be correct and the file must be one which is installed by Diskeeper.

So we need the path and the file itself.

Triangles with exclamations in them are normaly not good.

The triangle is orange not red. ;)

I can see someone less knowlagable deleting files that are "Unknown" and making a big mess.

I think such less knowledgeable people wouldn't look at "running processes".

That leaves doubt! Doubt is not something people who are smart enought to choose ESET products like.

Basically you don't need to have doubt.

Anyway if you have you can of course research the program.

E.g. you can upload the file to virustotal, search for the hash of the file or if you are really not clear what this file is and whether it is genuine ask about it in a forum like this.

But like I already said we of course need the file path and the file itself.

Edited by rugk