How To Disable Esetss For In-Place Win7 Reinstall?

My laptop IE11 was corrupted after last Java updates, and I needed to do an in-place Win7 Reinstall-

Windows Seven Forum Upgrade procedure...- repairs without having to reinstall system/programs/settings. AV & 3d party firewall Must be disabled until completely done!

I have successfully  done this Many times with my old KIS AV, that allowed me to disable until done.

I tried disabling ESET until restart, but Win7 reinstall was Very corrupted  (nothing worked)! Reinstall does Several restarts, and ESET must have been turned back on- I made a Macrium Reflect Image backup, was able to recover, and still need to do an in-place reinstall!

Question1- I looked in ESET Advanced settings, and couldn't find out how to disable it until Win7 reinstall is done? Is this possible, as getting all apps Trusted... on a new ESET install, is Very time consuming!

Question2- If not, is their some way that I can export/import settings/Trusted/..., into a fresh ESET reinstall?

• Administrators

Prior to reinstalling or upgrading the operating system, I'd suggest temporarily uninstalling security software as there are several modules that might cause issues, such as real-time protection, HIPS, etc.

Prior to reinstalling or upgrading the operating system, I'd suggest temporarily uninstalling security software as there are several modules that might cause issues, such as real-time protection, HIPS, etc.

Just a question BTW: Does this also apply to the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1?

• Administrators

Just a question BTW: Does this also apply to the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1?

As we test upgrades to newer versions of the OS, I wouldn't expect any issues to occur in this case. However, I can imagine that some users use HIPS with custom rules which might theoretically block certain operations performed during an upgrade.

• ESET Staff

Hi Scottls59901,

You might like to take a look at our Knowledgebase article about upgrading from an earlier OS to Windows 8.X. I would suggest that you follow these instructions when you make the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 as well.

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3153

99% of computers come with a recovery partition. Backup your files. Reboot into the recovery partition and your done. All the info you will need is in your manual. This is also why keeping a good system image backup is handy.  :)

You can also download the right ISO from Microsoft and make a bootable disk or a USB stick. That will allow you to reinstall and or repair Windows. Over the top installs never work. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

Eset staff is to cover Eset problems. I fix pc's on a daily basis. Doing things from within Windows never works properly. Using a bootable disk is always best. I see he mounted a stored image but obviously that image was corrupted. Maybe he has an older image. Easiest thing to do is not use IE. Install either Firefox or Chrome and be done with it.  :)

He can always uninstall Eset. Do what he needs to do. Reinstall Eset. More then one way to skin a cat. 

No offense to anyone on the Eset team. We are all here to help each other. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

• ESET Staff

Marcos' suggestion is the same as what is recommended in the article, he said

I'd suggest temporarily uninstalling security software as there are several modules that might cause issues, such as real-time protection, HIPS, etc.

The article recommends the same, uninstall until the upgrade is complete and then reinstall eset.

I really don't know that this what you write here has something to do with the topic or with my question.

I only wanted to know from ESET which of their recommendation the average user should follow. Because for users that will read this topic later it is quite confusing to have two contradictory statements.

BTT: To question 2: Yes you can import end export your settings here:

post-3952-0-37423900-1409850042_thumb.png

This is the article he is speaking of. But he is better off booting of his Windows installation cd and doing a repair. Bit repairs usually never work.

hxxp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Sorry for not saying that my laptop OS is Win7 Pro 64-bit (retail SP1 CD ONLY)- I had forgotten that this forum is one of the few that doesn't have signatures (wish they did!).

FYI (I'm a 40yr software tech)-

An in-place reinstall (works on Win8 too) How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7 (see above forum link for your OS... They also have a Win8 forum, with a different In-place reinstall procedure.)

It is not Really an upgrade- It uses the same process to completely repair your OS, while saving all of your old programs/settings..., and Not having to to a time consuming complete system reinstall. Saves my clients Big Buck$, and Much less Hassle for me trying to figure out their configuration...!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for the above Tips, and I got my laptop working again!-

I uninstalled SS (first exported settings to a desktop folder). I also uninstalled Zemana anti-logger free (encrypts keyboard strokes to fool most rootkits, and be sure to disable SS PUP... detection/custom install so No add-ons...!) !).

Took about an hour, and then Win updates were a whopping 500mb+ (be sure to First reactivate Win by Phone Only!).

G'day

Scott

This forum has signatures. (or what do you thought are the things below our posts?) Just look into your settings.

post-3952-0-25824900-1410028808_thumb.png

and be sure to disable SS PUP... detection/custom install so No add-ons...!) !).

G'day

Scott

I always do custom. But I did a cutom install once to opt-out but I got another present, after that happened I keep them enabled, always. 

Good evening  :)

Edited by SweX

and be sure to disable SS PUP... detection/custom install so No add-ons...!) !).

G'day

Scott

I always do custom. But I did a cutom install once to opt-out but I got another present, after that happened I keep them enabled, always. 

Most free software (some paid too) has PUP's to pay for them, and SS will block their download/installation if detection is enabled!

Edited by scottls59901

G'day

Scott

Most free software (some paid too) has PUP's to pay for them, and SS will block their download/installation if detection is enabled!

Yes but ESET will not be able to do that if you disable it like you say. I think these warnings are good to see. But I guess you have them disabled because that's what you prefer.

What I said was that I still got a present once after the install had finished despite having opt-out during the install process. So I keep PUA detections enabled at all times, its not worth the risk getting a stubborn PUA inside. I see enough of them elsewhere.

Edited by SweX