50% reduction in Internet download speeds with ESET Internet Security 15.0.23.0

Hi Experts;

I am in Ontario, Canada and subscribe to 1 Gigabit internet service from Rogers cable. 

I have been having download speed issues for a couple of months and have had a number of Technician visits - Rogers advises issue is on my side. I have spent much time on this and found that If I have ESET fully enabled I am achieving 200-600 MB download speed...if I set ESET WEB and email SSL filtering to Interactive and reboot I am achieving 1.1 GB speeds regularly. Interactive mode is not something I wish to deal with but wondering how I can achieve these speeds with ESET in automatic mode

Looking for some guidance here....

Thank You

• Administrators

I'm afraid the performance issues with > 1Gb NAC are caused by Windows Filtering Platform which is part of Windows. Waiting for confirmation from developers that's it's the known issue already reported to Microsoft.

Thank You Marcos...appreciate the quick reply!

I have been running ESET in interactive mode (WEB and email SSL) for most of the day now and thru many speed tests to OOKLA I am hitting 950 - 1145 MBps. I am not a technical computer expert but how am I achieving this if the issue is really the Windows Filtering Platform. 

Just asking so I can better understand...

35 minutes ago, Snocow said:

I have been running ESET in interactive mode (WEB and email SSL)

By Interactive mode here, I assume you are referring to SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode.?

I am using AT&T Uverse 1 Gb fiber DSL connection. My OOKLA test speeds are approximately the same for both interactive and automatic SSL/TLS protocol filtering modes. I don't believe SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode has anything to do with your network speed issue.

Yes - referring to SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode

I am really struggling to figure this out....I went overkill on the weekend and installed a 10 Gb network card with a Cat 7 cable from the XB7 Ver 2 cable modem to my windows 10 desktop

It may very well be coincidental...attaching my ookla results from today

Speedtest.net results.png

Re above and may be purely a coincidence but I am hitting 1.1 GB speeds with SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode set to interactive. Later re-installed ESET and by default back to SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode set to automatic and boom back to lower speeds.

Can anybody point to a possible culprit?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Can I ask what the brand and model of 10GbE network card is that you installed, and what version of its driver you are using?

Also, which version of Microsoft Windows are you running?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering make a difference?

As for using interactive SSL filtering mode, I'd suggest sticking with automatic mode until v15.1 which will address an issue / bug present in the current version.

Do you have Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) enabled? To find out, you can list network adapters with RSC via powershell by running:

Get-NetAdapterRsc -name "*"

If RSC is disabled, we recommend enabling it.

We also kindly ask you to create a log as follows:
- enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup when the issue is manifesting
- after 2-3 minutes, disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

4 hours ago, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

Can I ask what the brand and model of 10GbE network card is that you installed, and what version of its driver you are using?

Also, which version of Microsoft Windows are you running?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh

I am using a Asus XG-C100C

Driver is Marvell - 3.0.20.0

Windows 10 Pro - Ver 21H2 

OS Build - 19044.1503

Regards

Hi Marcos

Here is the output - because listed I understand is RSC enabled?

Name                           IPv4Enabled  IPv6Enabled  IPv4Operational IPv6Operational IPv4FailureReason IPv6FailureReason
                                                   State               State
----                           ----------- -----------  --------------- --------------- ----------------- -----------------
Ethernet                       True         True         False           False           WFPCompatibility  WFPCompatibility

Will do the log later today and let you know...

Regards

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you have Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) enabled? To find out, you can list network adapters with RSC via powershell by running:

Get-NetAdapterRsc -name "*"

If RSC is disabled, we recommend enabling it.

I can't find a RSC setting in my Realtek PCIe GbE network adapter settings. Can this be enabled via PowerShell?

-EDIT- Never mind.

If no output is received from:

Get-NetAdapterRsc -Name "*"

It indicates no network adapters are compatiable with RSC.

Edited by itman

4 hours ago, Snocow said:

Here is the output - because listed I understand is RSC enabled?

This command:

Get-NetAdapterRsc -Name "*" | Where-Object -FilterScript { $_.Enabled }

will list all RSC enabled network adapters.

I am having the same issue. Its been driving me crazy as I thought it was my Dell Thunderbolt dock which has a built in Realtek PCIe GbE USB network adapter so have been trying new Realtek USB adapters but that has made no difference. I have a 1GB Fiber connection.

The biggest issue for me is Microsoft Teams calls with audio and video, I keep getting video lock ups or the sound going mute or people not hearing me. This has worked fine since Jan 2022. If I disable real-time protection it definitely improves in that the locks ups are not as frequent and when they occur the interruption is a lot shorter.

Does disabling real-time protection turn off all network monitoring of NOD32 or should I go to the extreme of doing an uninstall?

I have done the RSC check and none of my adapters have that enabled. 

Should I do an ESET Log Collector right after a problematic Teams call using Marcos's instructions? 

- enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup when the issue is manifesting
- after 2-3 minutes, disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

1 hour ago, hesetsheset said:

Does disabling real-time protection turn off all network monitoring of NOD32 or should I go to the extreme of doing an uninstall?

You most definitely do not want to disable Eset real-time protection.

Try temporarily disabling Protocol filtering per below screen shot and observe if that stops the lockups:

Eset_Filtering.thumb.png.4dd3b9cfa6c3186295a9c44ef35b3499.png

After testing, re-enable Protocol filtering.

If disabling Protocol filtering improved the Teams lockup issues, you can add the following exclusions to It:

To prevent any interference of Teams, add the following items to the "exclusion list" process in the Antivirus Software.

• C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\teams.exe
  • C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\update.exe
  • C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\squirrel.exe

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/include-exclude-teams-from-antivirus-dlp

Note: Eset doesn't support a wildcard in the path name as shown above. You will have to specify the actual user name in the path; e.g. C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\teams.exe.

Edited by itman

On 2/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, Snocow said:

Hi Experts;

I am in Ontario, Canada and subscribe to 1 Gigabit internet service from Rogers cable. 

I have been having download speed issues for a couple of months and have had a number of Technician visits - Rogers advises issue is on my side. I have spent much time on this and found that If I have ESET fully enabled I am achieving 200-600 MB download speed...if I set ESET WEB and email SSL filtering to Interactive and reboot I am achieving 1.1 GB speeds regularly. Interactive mode is not something I wish to deal with but wondering how I can achieve these speeds with ESET in automatic mode

Looking for some guidance here....

Thank You

I had the same issue, after trying many things (https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/all/windows-11-con-muy-baja-velocidad-de-internet/fd3fea27-74ad-4e79-a93d-7a4e63911757?page=2&messageId=7e9091d3-85e1-438e-8960-74bff46152e0), I decided to reinstall Windows 11. The problem was solved. It was not EIS 🙂

15 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please provide ESET Log Collector logs with an advanced oper. system log included as per the instructions in my previous post.

Hi Marcos;

This morning I set SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode set to interactive. Once done my d/l speeds increased dramatically and I was consistently hitting just over 1100 Mbps download speed. I reset SSL/TLS protocol filtering back to Automatic filtering and rebooted and strangely  still hitting over 1100 Mbps for random tests rest of day and this evening. 

I will continue to monitor and see what happens in the am after shutting down desktop overnight. If things are normal I expect to be back to slow speeds tomorrow and will capture the log file

Regards

2 hours ago, Moises David Morales said:

I had the same issue, after trying many things (https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/all/windows-11-con-muy-baja-velocidad-de-internet/fd3fea27-74ad-4e79-a93d-7a4e63911757?page=2&messageId=7e9091d3-85e1-438e-8960-74bff46152e0), I decided to reinstall Windows 11. The problem was solved. It was not EIS 🙂

Thank You - It's on my short list...will complete over the weekend if not resolved

• Administrators
8 hours ago, hesetsheset said:

The biggest issue for me is Microsoft Teams calls with audio and video, I keep getting video lock ups or the sound going mute or people not hearing me. This has worked fine since Jan 2022. If I disable real-time protection it definitely improves in that the locks ups are not as frequent and when they occur the interruption is a lot shorter.

It's weird that disabling real-time protection would affect this; real-time protection scans files on disks and should not affect network communication. If possible, please provide an advanced oper. system log (collected by ELC) as requested above.

There is also another possibility as to erratic download speeds some are observing.

ISP's are known to "throttle down" network bandwidth capability when the their network is under heavy load. I know my ISP does it. It also manifests usually during peak business use hours between 9 AM to 5 PM. The users most affected by this behavior are of course, non-commercial users.

I will note that maximum download speed varies dramatically depending on network adapter, connection type used, and computer manufacturing date. As far as computer age goes, this is referencing the motherboard network adapter chip used and the BIOS/UEFI interaction to it. Some motherboards have an internal speed test accessible via the BIOS/UEFI that measures network Ethernet bandwidth between the router and motherboard. This should always be the first test performed to verify that the router is actually serving up 1Gb speed.

The below screen shots are from Google 1 Gb fiber service in regards to their speed test:Eset_Wi-Fi.png.c792aa6c3accfdaa55f27868ce63bf18.png

Eset_Ethernet.png.a4796dd809e0483d123d48f54f5ce8e9.png

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi%2Ccomputers-ethernet-or-usb-adapter-to-ethernet%2Ccomputers-wi-fi

Edited by itman

Hi All;

Last night I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10.

I immediately started hitting speeds of around 1.1 Gbps.....even after install of ESET Internet security.

System was down overnight and after startup this am still hitting 1.1 Gbps

So far so good...will continue monitoring for next day or so..

I also wonder if an OS reinstall is necessary here.

Win 10/11 has a full network reset feature accessible via System settings. This will completely reset network settings to original install values plus reinstall your network adapter driver.

Eset_Reset.png.ef86a6e7b436e206fd20ccec99091cc8.png

Edited by itman

9 minutes ago, itman said:

Eu também me pergunto se uma reinstalação do sistema operacional é necessária aqui.

O Win 10/11 possui um recurso de redefinição de rede completo acessível por meio das configurações do sistema. Isso redefinirá completamente as configurações de rede para os valores de instalação originais e reinstalará o driver do adaptador de rede.

Eset_Reset.png.ef86a6e7b436e206fd20cec99091cc8.png

It wasn't necessary to have formatted the computer, it was for him to have done what you said or he probably didn't know since your post was later.