'ESET Service (2)' taking up 100% CPU usage

A good 2021 to all of you!

Since 1-2 days I suddenly have a problem, the WIN10 PC is extremely slow. E.g. starting a browser session normally was instantaneous but now takes 40 sec.

Windows Task Manager shows 100% CPU usage, which is for over 99% by ESET Service (2), see attachment. 

I did not start any action with ESET, e.g. there is no virus scan running.

Any suggestions what I can do to get back to normal CPU usage?

Thanks in advance for your help!

image.thumb.png.746a2990403589b8ab98d8f685e4c268.png

I had postponed an ESET update because I was not sure if that update would still be covered by my active license.

As a last thing I could think of, I did the update and luckily it is still covered by the active license.

After restart the problem has disappeared😃. I can only hope it stays like that.

• Most Valued Members

Your license will cover the product upgrades that ESET provides , as long as it's still active , you will be able to download update and product upgrades

ESET Staff will probably request logs to determine the reason for this spike, but as a restart has fixed it probably something got stuck.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

When the issue occurs, please enable advanced operating system logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, leave it logging for 2-3 minutes and then disable it.

Then click "Create" in the Diagnostics section of the advanced setup to generate an ekrn dump. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:48 PM, Marcos said:

When the issue occurs, please enable advanced operating system logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, leave it logging for 2-3 minutes and then disable it.

Then click "Create" in the Diagnostics section of the advanced setup to generate an ekrn dump. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

How do I send a personal message to you Marcos? (sorry if I'm being dim)

9 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @Jack B,

just click on his name (in his reply) and use the Message button.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I had gone to message Marcos with this method before, but upon trying to send the message an error come up next to Marcos saying "Marcos can't receive messages"?

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Are you able to share the fix for this, we're getting the same issue on one of our Terminal Servers running ESET File Security.

Thanks

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Conival said:

Are you able to share the fix for this, we're getting the same issue on one of our Terminal Servers running ESET File Security.

Please carry on as follows:
- enable advanced oper. system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics when the issue is manifesting
- after approx. 1 minute disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

• 1 month later...

Dear Marcos 

I updated my Eset version to 14.1.20.0, having the same problem and tried to follow your instructions.

The Log Collector fails:

[11:14:38]   OK
[11:14:38] === ESET Events log ===
[11:14:38] Exporting ESET log (warnlog.dat) as filtered binary to file C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE3F7.tmp
[11:14:38] Adding file: C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE3F7.tmp -> ESET/Logs/Common/warnlog.dat
[11:14:38] === ESET Detected threats log ===
[11:14:38] Exporting ESET log (virlog.dat) as filtered binary to file C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE494.tmp
[11:14:38] Adding file: C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE494.tmp -> ESET/Logs/Common/virlog.dat
[11:14:38] === ESET HIPS log ===
[11:14:38] Exporting ESET log (hipslog.dat) as filtered binary to file C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE4A5.tmp
[11:14:38] Adding file: C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE4A5.tmp -> ESET/Logs/Common/hipslog.dat
[11:14:38] === ESET Network protection log ===
[11:14:38] Exporting ESET log (epfwlog.dat) as filtered binary to file C:\Users\q\AppData\Local\Temp\elcE4A6.tmp
[11:23:23] ERROR: Failed to get log info
[11:23:23] 
[11:23:23] Removing temp files...
[11:23:23] 
[11:23:23] ==============================
[11:23:23] An error occured during collection of files.   See the log for more info.

Leaving no log file...

Any other method i can try?

• Administrators

Does it work if you choose to collect original unfiltered binary logs? If necessary, deselect the firewall log so that it won't be collected.