Why ESET firewall rules don't work for ESET's own traffic?

• Administrators

ESET communication is allowed by built-in rules. They can be displayed after checking the appropriate box. We strongly do not recommend modifying default rules.

Marcos, thank You for Your reply.

Can't a user set their own rules on HIS computer for all programs, including ESET? 😆 Or does ESET want to be like Microsoft and impose their choice to user? 🤭

• Administrators

For advanced users there is an option to toggle the display of default rules. You can even move your own rules on top or disable some of default rules. Of course this is not recommend or Windows or other applications may stop communicating with necessary network or Internet services.

You didn't understand me correctly: I have already blocked all ESET's own traffic in extended (Advanced) rules (1th screenshot is in russian but I think it's clear for all) but ekrn.exe is still sending some data (see screen from Process Hacker in column "Network send bytes"). Why?

1 hour ago, Find-true said:

You didn't understand me correctly: I have already blocked all ESET's own traffic in extended (Advanced) rules (1th screenshot is in russian but I think it's clear for all) but ekrn.exe is still sending some data (see screen from Process Hacker in column "Network send bytes"). Why?

Move your custom block rules to the top of the firewall existing rule set. Note that doing so will block all Eset necessary internal and external network communication.

• Most Valued Members

Surely blocking eset rules will in turn block things such as updating meaning you won't have the latest signatures and bug fixes.

I get people want to be in control of their computer and connections and privacy etc. But surely with an AV you give them access to all your files technically anyways so you should trust them. Yes I know some AVs have had issues in the past but Eset have always been very transparent and also give you clear options to disable things e.g. marketing and usage collection etc.

Edited by peteyt