Staggering ESET Scheduled Scans

Guest Will Third

Guest Will Third
Hi all

We currently migrating a lot of our servers to hosts running ESXi and the performance hit of running multiple scans at the same is causing problems.

Do any of you know how to stagger scheduled ESET scans? Either using the Policy Manager in ERAC or creating scheduled scan task using Windows Task Scheduler (which has a random offset function)?

I have spoken to UK Support and they could not offer me much help apart from using groups and applying policies to them. But there must something less admin heavy?

This would be for use with the ESET File Security for Microsoft Windows Server product.

Thanks in advance,

Will

• Former ESET Employees

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm kind of shooting in the dark based on the information given, but I think you may be referring to the start-up scans. I would recommend following the steps in the article below:
hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3107&ref=esf

Guest Will Third

Hi I have disabled startup scans already.

What I am referring to is scheduled anti-virus scans and the ability to have them set off at different times randomly.

Currently we have issue where a ESXi host with say 6-8 VMs on it all scanning at the same set time with causes mayhem for CPU usage and system IO performance.

Is this a feature which is coming to Remote Administrator or ESET File Security for Windows Server? I know feature exist in the configuration options for the Endpoint Client.

• Administrators

I, for one, would not run a full disk scan more than once per month as there's not much sense in it. The scan is a time and resource consuming operation. Given that real-time protection protects the user from running threats in archives, too, I don't see much sense in running on-demand scans frequently. Needless to say that there are startup scans run after each update and computer startup.