Esteemed,
Good evening!
  I'm here wondering how do I block Google Chrome's update through ESET's firewall?
Other antiviruses like KASPERSKY have the option to do this Block, so I'm here on the forum, wondering how I do it in ESET Internet Security.
Please if you can put it step by step I am grateful.

Esteemed,

These methods have already been done it works for a few weeks, more then Chrome and updated automatically.
I need to block through the ESET Firewall. and more efficient, as I already did for KASPERSKY.

Could someone help me on the subject.

• Most Valued Members

Block gpupdate and gpupdatem services in your firewall , but this is something that isn't recommended as you will miss out lot of security updates by the time

14 hours ago, Nightowl said:

Bloqueie os serviços gpupdate e gpupdatem no firewall, mas isso não é recomendado, pois você perderá muitas atualizações de segurança no momento

esteemed,

As I do this blocking through ESET's FIREWALL, this is what I am wondering how it blocks, through eset's firewall.

25 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

esteemed,

As I do this blocking through ESET's FIREWALL, this is what I am wondering how it blocks, through eset's firewall.

You have to create two firewall rules referencing Application as svchost.exe. The first rule will specify the gpupdate service and the second rule the gpupdatem service.

For both rules specify the protocol as TCP & UDP. Action is Deny. Direction is Out. Name each rule appropriately.

If you presently have existing Eset firewall rules, ensure they conform to the above.

As far as how the Eset firewall blocks this activity, it is rather obvious. Chrome when it attempts to update will initiate an outbound connection to do so. The Eset firewall rules will prevent that activity.

Edited by itman

22 minutes ago, itman said:

Você precisa criar duas regras de firewall referenciando o aplicativo como svchost.exe. A primeira regra especificará o serviço gpupdate e a segunda regra o serviço gpupdatem.

Para ambas as regras, especifique o protocolo como TCP e UDP. Ação é Negar. A direção está fora. Nomeie cada regra adequadamente.

Se você possui atualmente regras de firewall Eset, verifique se estão em conformidade com o acima.

Na medida em que o firewall da Eset bloqueia essa atividade, é bastante óbvio. Quando o Chrome tenta atualizar, uma conexão de saída é iniciada. As regras de firewall da Eset impedirão essa atividade.

253/5000

Dear,

Do you have PRINT or evidence of how to do this step by step, that you said, because I searched the internet and said the same thing that you informed I went to do and it didn't work.
If you are showing pictures showing how to do it, I am grateful.

I don't have Chrome installed.

However once you have added C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe as the Application, search for the two referenced services,  gpupdate and gpupdatem, per the below screen shot. The previous assumes your have installed Windows in the C:\ directory. Again two firewall rules are needed; one for each service.

Also verify you haven't previously created firewall rules to allow these services and/or related .exes from running. Remember Eset firewall rules are run in top-to-bottom fashion. Your newly created block service rules would be added at the bottom of the existing rule set. Any prior existing firewall rules to allow Chrome updating would override these newly added block rules.

Eset_Service.png.c323d69512b8752c24e8c2475239035b.png

Edited by itman

On 6/5/2020 at 10:42 PM, New_Style_xd said:

Esteemed,
I made this tip and it didn't work. when I go to see this update is not blocked.

Change the created firewall rules to block the .exe associated with each service.

I beleive one is named GoogleUpdate.com. Open Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Open each of the Google update services previously mentioned. The "Path to execuatble:" section will give you all the detail you need to enter same in the Eset firewall rule.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, itman said:

Change the created firewall rules to block the .exe associated with each service.

I beleive one is named GoogleUpdate.com. Open Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Open each of the Google update services previously mentioned. The "Path to execuatble:" section will give you all the detail you need to enter same in the Eset firewall rule.

Esteemed,

Is there a tutor explaining how to do it?
I'm having trouble developing the steps you spoke about.
If you have any video showing or printing explaining how to do it will help a lot. Thank you"

1 minute ago, New_Style_xd said:

Esteemed,

If you have any video showing or printing explaining how to do it will help a lot. Thank you"

I can't since I don't have Chrome installed. Perhaps @Nightowl can specify the full path name where these update .exes are located.

On 04/06/2020 at 03:08, Nightowl said:

Bloqueie os serviços gpupdate e gpupdatem no firewall, mas isso não é recomendado, pois você perderá muitas atualizações de segurança no momento

@Nightowl

• Most Valued Members

The updatem is a disabled service for me , I wonder if it has any use or maybe made for an older operating systems , nevermind it leads to the same exe path

The Google Update path is here : C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

You would just need to block this from having outgoing connections and also incoming to block it , is possible , then you would deny the ability for chrome to update

but as I have said before , this is not recommended as you will miss out lot of updates.

Edited by Nightowl

17 hours ago, Nightowl said:

O updatem é um serviço desativado para mim, gostaria de saber se ele tem algum uso ou se foi feito para sistemas operacionais mais antigos, deixa pra lá, leva ao mesmo caminho exe

O caminho do Google Update está aqui: 😄 \ Arquivos de Programas (x86) \ Google \ Update \ GoogleUpdate.exe

Você só precisa bloquear isso de ter conexões de saída e também de entrada para bloqueá-lo, é possível, então você negaria a capacidade de atualização do chrome

mas como eu disse antes, isso não é recomendado, pois você perderá muitas atualizações.

Nightowl
I know and blocking issues, and I will run out of updates.
But what I want is that, that it is blocked.
how do i do that, it could show with PRINT. for me to block update here from google chrome, because i don't know the steps to do, if you can show step by step how and done thank you.

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Nightowl
how do i do that, it could show with PRINT. for me to block update here from google chrome, because i don't know the steps to do, if you can show step by step how and done thank you.

I use Automatic firewall myself now (used to use interactive mode). I believe you can disable Chrome updates without the need for the firewall https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-automatic-chrome-updates-windows/ This will at least stop chrome updating automatically itself. 

You could run the firewall after than it interactive mode and try to update and possibly tell eset to block it however you may block the wrong thing.

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Nightowl

It's better described here : https://support.eset.com/en/kb2843-create-a-firewall-rule-to-allowdisallow-use-of-a-certain-application-in-my-windows-eset-home-product

Just put a BLOCK instead of Allow , and for the exe path put C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe  and then manually check for update in Chrome , it should fail.

Disabling the services can help you also stop the update , but if it got enabled , it will update automatically , but you can disable them and only manually they can be started.

Reading through all the numerous web postings on how to stop Chrome and Google updating, the Group Policy method appears to be the best method: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18483087/how-to-disable-google-chrome-auto-update . However, one needs a Win Pro+ version to use Group Policy.

In the same above linked thread was posted:

I use Commodo Firewall HIPS feature to stop googleupdate.exe even executing. I have set no rules for gooleupdate.exe internet access but if somehow it does get to execute I will get a popup asking if I want to grant it internet access.

Therefore I recommend you create a new Eset HIPS user rule to do the equivalent. The screen shots given  below show how to do this. After mouse clicking on the Finish tab shown in the last screen shot, mouse click on any subsequent OK tab shown to save the HIPS rule.

gupdate_1.png.69cdbb4a168381e9e3f044045a8a8261.png

gupdate_2.png.3647c765794e36635fc01160c8d51269.png

gupdate_3.png.aa5d293791701ad1ebbb440c15339d87.png

gupdate_4.png.aa70a1d465b1a937cab5107eb0504910.png

gupdate_5.png.131a73b09ee7c8f7e6bf35e57c679fc8.png

Edited by itman

7 hours ago, Nightowl said:

É melhor descrito aqui: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2843-create-a-firewall-rule-to-allowdisallow-use-of-a-fficient-application-in-my-windows-eset-home -produtos

Basta colocar um BLOCO em vez de Permitir e, no caminho exe, colocar 😄 \ Arquivos de Programas (x86) \ Google \ Update \ GoogleUpdate.exe e, em seguida, verificar manualmente se há atualizações no Chrome, deve falhar.

Desabilitar os serviços também pode ajudá-lo a interromper a atualização, mas, se ativada, ela será atualizada automaticamente, mas você pode desativá-los e somente manualmente eles podem ser iniciados.

It worked, thank you very much

image.png.6fbeff4f064fd44c8d4f9aaa375f3088.png

• Most Valued Members
On 6/11/2020 at 11:05 PM, New_Style_xd said:

It worked, thank you very much

image.png.6fbeff4f064fd44c8d4f9aaa375f3088.png

Just curious why you would want to block updates. I can understand disabling automatic updates and preferring manual updates. However your computer could be at risk when missing each update because of security holes and so on. Do you plan to update manually?

12 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Taking advantage of how you block EDGE CHROMIUM update via ESET firewal?

Same procedure you did for regular Chrome updating. Looks like there are three services associated with it:

Eset_Edge.png.50a03ea9e78080cac94d341560447c28.png

11 hours ago, itman said:

O mesmo procedimento para atualizações regulares do Chrome. Parece que existem três serviços associados a ele:

Eset_Edge.png.50a03ea9e78080cac94d341560447c28.png

But I wanted to know about ESET's firewall, as it was done with google chrome.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

But I wanted to know about ESET's firewall, as it was done with google chrome.

Click the Update Service that is run Automatic , and see what is the Service EXE Path and then block it with ESET as it was done for Google Chrome , same thing different EXE PATH