ESS and MBAM and EMET... Overkill?

• ESET Insiders

I just put ESS back on my machine after some beta testing of some other products. I have opted to use MBAM 2 realtime (exclusions set) and they seem to be fine. What are others' thoughts on adding EMET to this setup? Necessary? Beneficial? Too much? Also, should I mess with the settings for HIPS at all? Or is that more maintenance than it's worth? I have tried it in interactive mode in the past and it generates a lot of prompts.

At the moment ive for MBAM 2 with everything configured, ESET SS configured to my liking and EMET. Never caused me any problems or slowdowns. Also never had conflicts

• ESET Insiders

Thanks for the reply. I see Microsoft released EMET 4.1 Update 1 today. Trying it out with no issues so far.

Edited by xxJackxx

You could try running HIPS in learning mode for an hour or so, and complete a lot of your daily activities, including restarting the computer once to catch login items.

Then switch HIPS to interactive and you will have less prompts, and only on new objects will it pop up.

Its a very tight setup though, you may switch back off again eventually if you don't get used to it.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I have been using ESET's software with EMET for a while, and not noticed any problems, so you should be good to go.  Admittedly, I haven't looked at 4.1U1 build, but the 5.0TP build seems solid under Windows 8.1 Pro Update x64 with ESET Smart Security 7.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• ESET Insiders

@Arakasi

I may give that a shot with the HIPS. Like you said, if I don't like it I can turn it back off.

@Aryeh Goretsky

Sounds like we're running close to the same setup, but I opted for the EMET 4.1 Update 1 since it was just released today and was the recommeded version (by Microsoft on the download page). Good to hear it been working well for you.

This is turning out to be a very nice configuration. Ligher than I thought it would be, and no conflicts or issues so far.

EMET is never overkill as it addresses different threats than anti-virus systems do. I've been rolling out EMET 4 to customers without problem, and trialing EMET 5TP which seems to be fine so far. Note that the recent Flash zero day is mitigated by EMET!