NEW VERSION EIS 13.0.22.0

Last night I received the update of Eset Internet Security version 13 (13.0.22.0) with some feature and improvement as follows:

* Improve Connected Home Monitor

* Extended Detection with HIPS

* Stronger Protection with Advanced Machine Learning

* The Lower Impact on System Resources

However the Icon Menu its look like little bit too left and for me still a question about "The Startup Scanning Progress" activity indicated in the Icon on the taskbar still running after user Login even I have been deactivated  the Startup Scanning in the scheduler to not active in battery mode.

NEW VERSION EIS 13.0.22.0.jpg

Edited by HANDJOJO

• Administrators

We would like to remind you one of our forum rules:

17, Do not pre-announce releases.  Due to differences in scheduling, it may sometimes take several hours after a release has appeared on ESET's web site for the release announcement to appear here in the forum.

New versions are to be announced by ESET staff when due.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

We would like to remind you one of our forum rules:

17, Do not pre-announce releases.  Due to differences in scheduling, it may sometimes take several hours after a release has appeared on ESET's web site for the release announcement to appear here in the forum.

New versions are to be announced by ESET staff when due.

Dear Marcos,

First of all, apologize  for being very enthusiastic about welcoming the new version so that I don't read any of the rules in the forum.

Edited by HANDJOJO

8 hours ago, HANDJOJO said:

and for me still a question about "The Startup Scanning Progress" activity indicated in the Icon on the taskbar still running after user Login even I have been deactivated  the Startup Scanning in the scheduler to not active in battery mode.

As far as ver. 13.0.22 goes, four startup scans can possibly run assuming the PC has been powered down for some time:

• system startup user logon - files run after user logon *
  • system startup after module update - commonly use files *

* Not supposed to run in battery on mode

• update after user logon - update profile based
  • regular update - update profile based

So it appears what you are observing are the last two scans running due to the fact a module update most likely occurred at PC power up time.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Make sure that you have both startup scan tasks enabled in scheduler. Without that, some system areas where malware may be hiding will not be scanned or malware may continue to run after a detection has been added.

• ESET Insiders
7 hours ago, Marcos said:

Make sure that you have both startup scan tasks enabled in scheduler. Without that, some system areas where malware may be hiding will not be scanned or malware may continue to run after a detection has been added.

Shouldn't ESET scan any running process ? also in startup shouldn't ESET scan any exe/process that run ?

I am having big issues since updating. Sometimes when I click a bookmark or google link (or any link) there is an error message saying the site can't be reached (errors say various things, like ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED and ERR_CONNECTION_RESET and "server IP address could not be found", etc etc), but on some of the sites within 5 seconds the site then loads automatically, some sites though won't automatically load after 5 seconds and just stay with the error on screen. This has only happened since the update an hour ago. I am also finding some broadband speed testers won't work as it won't connect to the servers. Previous version of Eset worked perfectly for me. I am using Windows 10, happens in both Opera and Chrome, not tried Firefox. Pausing Eset protection stops the problems happening. It happens with 70 to 80% of website and bookmarks I try. 

I have also noticed some websites and emails are not showing images anymore. But again if I pause protection it loads. had no issues with previous Eset version. Can I revert back until fixed ? As it is getting very annoying. All sites load perfectly when the Eset protection is paused/disabled. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, vscience said:

I am having big issues since updating. Sometimes when I click a bookmark or google link (or any link) there is an error message saying the site can't be reached (errors say various things, like ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED and ERR_CONNECTION_RESET and "server IP address could not be found", etc etc), but on some of the sites within 5 seconds the site then loads automatically, some sites though won't automatically load after 5 seconds and just stay with the error on screen. This has only happened since the update an hour ago. I am also finding some broadband speed testers won't work as it won't connect to the servers. Previous version of Eset worked perfectly for me. I am using Windows 10, happens in both Opera and Chrome, not tried Firefox. Pausing Eset protection stops the problems happening. It happens with 70 to 80% of website and bookmarks I try. 

I have also noticed some websites and emails are not showing images anymore. But again if I pause protection it loads. had no issues with previous Eset version. Can I revert back until fixed ? As it is getting very annoying. All sites load perfectly when the Eset protection is paused/disabled.

Pausing protection should not have any effect on bookmarking a web page. ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED sounds like a DNS issue, however, the only thing that could affect DNS communication is the firewall and again, pausing protection would not affect it, only pausing the firewall could.

Could you temporarily uninstall ESET, make sure the issues go away and then install it from scratch with default settings? If that doesn't make any difference, please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector for a start.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BALTAGY said:

Shouldn't ESET scan any running process ? also in startup shouldn't ESET scan any exe/process that run ?

Yes but startup scan tasks ensure scanning of WMI and UEFI for instance. Also they trigger a scan of startup location after module updates to make sure that any possible previously undetected running malware is detected and cleaned.

18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Yes but startup scan tasks ensure scanning of WMI and UEFI for instance. Also they trigger a scan of startup location after module updates to make sure that any possible previously undetected running malware is detected and cleaned.

Dear Marco,

The Startup Scanning should be running and finished it before user login, the task included config sys. Autoexec, Win INI, UEFI and The Boot Sector and is it also implement ELAM (Early Launch Antimalware Scanning), and it could be the double/still in progress when the Module Update in the time user login, therefore I found the Strartup Scanning still in progress even I have  Windows logged in?

Yeah seems you are right Marcos, I must have just got extremely lucky with the randomness of clicking the links as now I am getting errors with the firewall and antivirus protection disabled. This is happening with both my PCs, as I have Eset on both and upgraded both tonight. I guess there is a chance this is all pure coincidence and not related to Eset, but this did begin after I installed the upgrade to 13. I have just reset my router in case it is that, but still same problem. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns but to no help.

I wonder if this could be an issue with my ISP then and this is pure coincidence that it began straight after ? I do wonder why it is so random, one website that doesn't work will work fine the next time I try, or after a few refreshes. Sometimes the page won't load, then I wait 5 seconds, and it automatically loads okay. It is just so random and happens with multiple different sites. 

There is nothing listed on my ISP's service outage page. Shame both my PCs have been upgraded to 13 Eset as I could have tested my other PC without uninstalling. If I uninstall will I lose all my Firewall rules ? I use the manual rule option so I choose what to allow or not to allow. 

I notice the main error I get now is "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" not sure what that means. I can try and uninstall, just worried about losing my settings if this isn't due to Eset. Did the upgrade change any settings on my PC outside of Eset ? Such as with Windows ? 

• Administrators

It

1 minute ago, vscience said:

I notice the main error I get now is "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" not sure what that means. I can try and uninstall, just worried about losing my settings if this isn't due to Eset. Did the upgrade change any settings on my PC outside of Eset ? Such as with Windows ?

It means a problem with DNS resolution. You can try setting Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary. You can also try uninstalling ESET completely for a short while; if the issue persists you can be sure it's not caused by ESET.

1 minute ago, vscience said:

Yeah seems you are right Marcos, I must have just got extremely lucky with the randomness of clicking the links as now I am getting errors with the firewall and antivirus protection disabled. This is happening with both my PCs, as I have Eset on both and upgraded both tonight. I guess there is a chance this is all pure coincidence and not related to Eset, but this did begin after I installed the upgrade to 13. I have just reset my router in case it is that, but still same problem. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns but to no help.

I wonder if this could be an issue with my ISP then and this is pure coincidence that it began straight after ? I do wonder why it is so random, one website that doesn't work will work fine the next time I try, or after a few refreshes. Sometimes the page won't load, then I wait 5 seconds, and it automatically loads okay. It is just so random and happens with multiple different sites. 

There is nothing listed on my ISP's service outage page. Shame both my PCs have been upgraded to 13 Eset as I could have tested my other PC without uninstalling. If I uninstall will I lose all my Firewall rules ? I use the manual rule option so I choose what to allow or not to allow. 

For me everything are fine after update to new version 13.0.22.0 as well as when surfing to internet, if you decide it to uninstall and re install ESET please don't forget to save your setting under Setup Menu (In Main Menu of ESET Gui) and please select the Export to folder destination, you can re-import again your ESET Setting.

Good luck.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, HANDJOJO said:

Dear Marco,

The Startup Scanning should be running and finished it before user login, the task included config sys. Autoexec, Win INI, UEFI and The Boot Sector and is it also implement ELAM (Early Launch Antimalware Scanning), and it could be the double/still in progress when the Module Update in the time user login, therefore I found the Strartup Scanning still in progress even I have  Windows logged in?

It's not true that a startup scan should be finished before a user logs it. Also ELAM has absolutely nothing with startup scans.
The question is if the startup scan takes dozens of minutes to complete on your machine or if it has a noticeable impact on your system performance. If not, then there's no issue to investigate.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, HANDJOJO said:

For me everything are fine after update to new version 13.0.22.0 as well as when surfing to internet, if you decide it to uninstall and re install ESET please don't forget to save your setting under Setup Menu (In Main Menu of ESET Gui) and please select the Export to folder destination, you can re-import again your ESET Setting.

Basically the default settings are best for most users. We don't recommend creating exclusions or changing settings that might affect protection. Using default settings is recommended in case of issues to rule out custom settings as being the culprit.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

It's not true that a startup scan should be finished before a user logs it. Also ELAM has absolutely nothing with startup scans.
The question is if the startup scan takes dozens of minutes to complete on your machine or if it has a noticeable impact on your system performance. If not, then there's no issue to investigate.

Dear Marcos,

Thanks for your explanation, so the Startup Scanning takes some minute depend on how much the has installed, and how much time it took the Startup Scanning in normal category to take future action to investigation?

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Basically the default settings are best for most users. We don't recommend creating exclusions or changing settings that might affect protection. Using default settings is recommended in case of issues to rule out custom settings as being the culprit.

Dear Marcos,

Would you pleased share the best for most user the default setting, may be mostly user didn't understood how to setting the Network Protection, specially in Network Attack Protection (in Advance Option).

Thanks

After updating to EIS 13.0.22.0 I've noticed that very ofter Eset Service process (ekrn.exe) goes to 35% usage of my CPU (i5 4790k) and whole PC is not as fast as it used to be. Then after a while it goes back to 0-1%.

Nazwa produktu: ESET Internet Security
Wersja produktu: 13.0.22.0
System operacyjny: Windows 10 Enterprise(64-bit)
Urządzenie: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 16314 MB RAM

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Bazzzyl said:

After updating to EIS 13.0.22.0 I've noticed that very ofter Eset Service process (ekrn.exe) goes to 35% usage of my CPU (i5 4790k) and whole PC is not as fast as it used to be. Then after a while it goes back to 0-1%.

I would suggest creating a new topic for this instead of hijacking someone else's unrelated topic.

Do you use an utorrent client by chance? Does temporarily pausing real-time protection make a difference? Are you able to reproduce the issue at any time?

On 10/23/2019 at 12:39 AM, vscience said:

I guess there is a chance this is all pure coincidence and not related to Eset, but this did begin after I installed the upgrade to 13.

Was the update performed via Eset GUI upgrade option?

If I uninstall will I lose all my Firewall rules ?

Make sure you use Eset's GUI Export feature prior to uninstalling to save all your existing settings. After reinstalling, then use the Eset GUI Import feature which will recreate all your previous settings.

Also since you have appeared to have created and/or modified Eset default firewall settings, ensure that those changes haven't adversely impacted on DNS server access and resolution.

I notice the main error I get now is "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" not sure what that means.

See this: https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-error-code-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-problem/ for further details and possible mitigations to the issue.