update from 12.2.23 to 12.2.29

The "repair " - option is not available in version 12.2.29 ( ESET Internet Security) , only the uninstall-option is present , in Win10.

Still searching ; I want to STAY with version 12.2.23 , untill a solid solution will be available ( to avoid the errors in 12.2.29 !) ...........no solution , so far !

Maybe uninstall completely and instal older program ; version 11.....??

4 hours ago, SeriousHoax said:

Also found multiples entries of this from the HIPS log. Related to Windows Defender starting at startup I guess.

I assume you have advanced HIPS log all blocked entries option enabled? If you scroll through the log, you will also see alot of other processes being being blocked from modifying Eset processes.

Edited by itman

I believe its time Eset returns to how it was registering with Win 10 Security Center prior to ver. 12.2.29.

I for one had no issues in this regard other that a registration issue appearing in the Eset event log similar to the one I previously posted. This event only occurred after an install or ver. upgrade and disappeared after a subsequent reboot. As such, I always ignored the event log entry. 

Edited by itman

• Administrators

The Windows Security Center service cannot load instances of AntiVirusProduct from the data store id = 19
The Windows Security Center service cannot load instances of FirewallProduct from the data store. id = 18

This is a result of using a new certificate as of v12.2.29 and the fact that Windows stopped supporting deletion of records through WMI as of RS6. RS5 and older didn't use the registry keys for providers.

The messages above have absolutely no effect on usability or stability of ESET or the OS itself. The only "annoyance" is that they are generated in the system event log.

Re. changes in v12.2.29, nothing but the certificate used to sign ESET's files have changed in the process of registration to WSC.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

This is a result of using a new certificate as of v12.2.29 and the fact that Windows stopped supporting deletion of records through WMI as of RS6. RS5 and older didn't use the registry keys for providers.

I was using RS6; i.e. Win 10 1903, with ver. 12.2.23 installed without these new issues. As such, the problem is the new certificate Eset is using.

• Administrators
Just now, itman said:

I was using RS6; i.e. Win 10 1903, with ver. 12.2.23 installed without these new issues. As such, the problem is the new certificate Eset is using.

The problem is not with the certificate, it's perfectly ok. The thing is that we're unable to remove the former provider from the registry since Windows stopped supporting deletion records as of RS6. As a result, we are registered twice there. However, this doesn't cause any other issues but the 2 records logged in the event log when the SC service starts.

Remains this problem still ; The option in Windows Defender " allow periodicly scanning with Windows Defender;  y/n "  , is changing to "no " , after every reboot , while its set to "yes" , before the reboot ............!

Tried to remove the two ( out of four !) provider-keys from Security Center , but they (4) come back after reboot .

Should be possible to remove the obsolete provider-keys somehow !

This should keep the eventlog clean..........:rolleyes:

• Administrators

The problem with periodic scan seems to be caused by timing; v12.2.29 was waiting for a response from WSC and since it takes time for the Security Center service to start (looks like a bug in Win), the system didn't know about ESET and WD was started. When we eventually received a response from WSC and registered, WD reset its settings, including periodic scanning. We've made a change so that we won't wait for WSC to respond and will register immediately. We'll also implement an alternate way how to remove obsolete providers from WSC since the functionality is not supported by Windows as of RS6.

A newer version with all the above mentioned changes should be available soon.

" A newer version with all the above mentioned changes should be available soon. "............:D

You just gave us all the best news we could get from Eset..................

Will now need patience !  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, itman said:

I assume you have advanced HIPS log all blocked entries option enabled? If you scroll through the log, you will also see alot of other processes being being blocked from modifying Eset processes.

Yes, that is correct. I'm familiar with the other entries but I'm seeing these Windows Defender related entries only after upgrading to 12.2.29.0.

" I'm seeing these Windows Defender related entries only after upgrading to 12.2.29.0. "..........this is another proofe of a buggy , faulty update ! :angry:

Eset should give us a possibility to STAY ON 12.2.23 ( !!) , untill a solution appears !

Still no answer on my question ; HOW to stay on 12.2.23 , without being pushed to this buggy 12.2.29 .............

Any idea would be very welcome !

• ESET Insiders
2 hours ago, Pete12 said:

" I'm seeing these Windows Defender related entries only after upgrading to 12.2.29.0. "..........this is another proofe of a buggy , faulty update ! :angry:

Eset should give us a possibility to STAY ON 12.2.23 ( !!) , untill a solution appears !

Still no answer on my question ; HOW to stay on 12.2.23 , without being pushed to this buggy 12.2.29 .............

Any idea would be very welcome !

When you clean install it don't use the key, go to advanced Setup > Update > profiles > Updates > and turn off application update

Then use your key and update

" it don't use the key "...............you mean , dont activate and turn off app.update ??

Problem is ; you dont get the time to import your settings , immediately reboot and .............beng ( ! ) 12.2.29 again .......:(

Edited by Pete12

• ESET Insiders
13 minutes ago, Pete12 said:

" it don't use the key "...............you mean , dont activate and turn off app.update ??

Problem is ; you dont get the time to import your settings , immediately reboot and .............beng ( ! ) 12.2.29 again .......:(

Once you finished the install and the enter key screen come up, go as above and disable app update first then use your key and update, you will only be noticed about a new version but it wont auto update

Just totally uninstalled this buggy 12.2.29 and installed version 12.2.23 .......works awsome !:D

No more " blody red " eventlog ( full with id=18/19 )  and .....it stays on the settings in the Windows Defender ...................thinking of keeping this version , untill a good working new update appears !  

Edited by Pete12

Big mistake ; removing the " repair-function"  in the 12.2.29-installer , its , fortunatly, still present in 12.2.23 !  :angry:

This mistake is one of the many bugs in this 12.2.29-version , would be very ( !!) welcome when are these bugs/mistakes are repaired with a new solid, good update !!

Come on, ESET , dont let us wait too long...............!!!   :rolleyes:

Edited by Pete12

"  No errors in event viewer, related with Eset. But I'm using Eset from yesterday :D. For now all works perfect. "...............??  You must be the only one !  Which version are you using now ; 12.2.23 or 12.2.29 ??

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Pete12 said:

I see , so problems with 12.2.29 still not solved……………..!  :(

The problem with v12.2.29 was caused by ekrn waiting for WSC to respond to a check if it's running which unfortunately occurred with a bigger delay (a bug in Windows that will be reported to MS). It was done to work around an issue with WSC notifications that neither Windows nor ESET firewall were on, however, there was an unexpected delay in response from WSC which resulted in the said issues. The workaround has been removed completely and a new version is being tested and will be released soon after the tests are finished.

" soon after the tests are finished "...………..sorry to say ( excuse me !) but we may assume ESET does some severe testing first , before giving to the public ( updating version)

We wonder if this severe testing has done on 12.2.29 (?) ………..if so , then we never had these troubles in the first place……..!!   :mellow:

Costed us all a lot of time ( reverting to previous version, with uninstalling , etc.) searching for solution , checking OS , reporting support, etc, etc...…………..

Lets hope ESET will be very carefull with next updates in the future………...

• Administrators

First of all, I have no clue what issues you mean. Are any issues visible after installing v12.2.29? I assume no. The main problem reported was with WD starting for a while before ESET but this was not visible without using tools like Procmon or Process Explorer. Correct? Ie. something that could not be revealed during tests.