Blocked from changing settings

RLsBK

Hello!

I'm having an issue ever since windows 10 forced me to upgrade from v1809 to v1903 yesterday.

When the problem occurs, any attempt to change and save settings (HIPS rules too) will result in the following error message :

Advancedd setup
An error occurred while saving settings.
Please make sure that you have permissions to change settings.

Rebooting my computer, or simply signing out/signing in again, fixes the issue but only for a very short while.

Re-installing NOD32 did not help.

My system:
Windows 10 Home x64 v1903
ESET NOD32 x64 v12.2.23.0

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, RLsBK said:

Hello!

I'm having an issue ever since windows 10 forced me to upgrade from v1809 to v1903 yesterday.

When the problem occurs, any attempt to change and save settings (HIPS rules too) will result in the following error message :

Advancedd setup
An error occurred while saving settings.
Please make sure that you have permissions to change settings.

Rebooting my computer, or simply signing out/signing in again, fixes the issue but only for a very short while.

Re-installing NOD32 did not help.

My system:
Windows 10 Home x64 v1903
ESET NOD32 x64 v12.2.23.0

Have you tried uninstalling with the eset uninstaller in safe mode then installing the latest version. Might be some old files are left behind

I just found someone will the same problem, and here is his conclusion :

Windows is blocking Eset temporarily when too many rules (UAC prompts) are created in a short time period.

I believe this is exactly my case, because I wanted a fresh start and so I cleared all of my HIPS rules.

Fired up some apps, got plenty of prompts, then I would go to the settings to create and change many rules.

All of these UAC prompts in a row are most likely the cause of my problem, which would explain why it comes and goes.

Do you guys know anything about this behavior? Can it be circumvented?

19 minutes ago, RLsBK said:

Windows is blocking Eset temporarily when too many rules (UAC prompts) are created in a short time period.

Not applicable in Win 10 as I noted in this reply: https://forum.eset.com/topic/19529-failed-to-create-rule-no-permission-to-save-settings/?do=findComment&comment=97654

• Administrators

Please collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated archive. I'd also suggest raising a support ticket with your local customer care.

Does the problem persist after temporarily renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys and C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers_bak in safe mode?

I've sent you the log by private message.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to replicate the issue with those files renamed, as the problem seems to happen when I switch HIPS from smart to interactive mode.

It's at that point that I'm getting plenty of allow/deny pop-ups, and after a short while I can't save anything anymore.

Although, when I tried to edit HIPS rules, I'd get this error message : "User rules files contain invalid data"

Edited by RLsBK

Are you logged to Win 10 as a local admin or a standard user?

If you are logged on as a local admin, you shouldn't be seeing any UAC alerts related to Eset setting updating. I run as a local admin w/UAC set to its maximum level and receive zip UAC alerts in regards to Eset GUI modifications.

If you are logged on as a standard user, this would explain both the UAC alerts and the Win permissions alerts you have been receiving.

I believe Eset assumes anyone modifying Eset GUI settings is running with at least local admin privileges.

Edited by itman

My account is local admin.

I normally never have any issue with permissions or UAC alerts, aside from when I do operations in program files.