Hi

tried SysRescue live cd, clicked boot but am unshure if it checked the Uefi bios for rootkits.

How to scan the UEFI Bios?

Thanks

It's not possible. ESET for Linux does not scan UEFI.

So how to do that? On my new laptop I have win10 but with mcaffee trial.

Posted (edited)

I am not sure SysRescue will scan the UEFI. According to this: https://support.eset.com/kb3509/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US , it only scans boot sectors. Appears to me you will have to use an Eset installed product to scan UEFI.

-EDIT- You can give Eset's Online Scanner- installed version, a shot and see it has a setting to scan the UEFI: https://support.eset.com/kb2921/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Edited by itman

Thanks but for not messing up also my harddisk I have not connected any hd. Tried the online scanner but seems not to scan uefi bios but am sure to have such a bios trojan on my pc. Why? Because I don't have any hd connected but get Errors even virus found with hiren's boot cd. on  ubuntu i get 2 files in ~.gnupg which is not normal but used to encrypted download of trojan later on.

anything else to do but to return the asus motherboard? already did that twice. Where else could be the Problem?

4 hours ago, mike4 said:

Where else could be the Problem?

It is not unheard of for anything firmware related to be possibly infected. For example, any add-on PC Express bus cards such as a network adapter card, etc.. As far as motherboard chipsets go, JMicron ones have long been suspected.

Are  your memory chip card/s from a reliable vendor? 

I don't have any network Cards only a ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard 

but I'll return also my Nvidia graphics Card and the ddr4 memory modules as I suspect the memory to be corrupted by the virus. Hopefully that should fix it finally, or could I miss something else?

I really think you're being a bit "paranoid" on this issue. If you really believe you have  firmware related malware and you have shown no proof of this, you should have you device checked out by a competent security professional.

im not paranoid I'm simply running out of ideas after resending to asus warranty twice the Motherboard.

31 minutes ago, mike4 said:

im not paranoid I'm simply running out of ideas after resending to asus warranty twice the Motherboard.

If you are really worried , you could flash your BIOS again with the latest BIOS update from ASUS , Format your PC and reinstall your Windows and see if there is any differences .

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:20 AM, mike4 said:

So how to do that? On my new laptop I have win10 but with mcaffee trial.

Let's back up to this posting.

I don't know how good McAfee is at detecting UEFI/BIOS malware. However, I do know Eset's AV scanner can detect the same. I suggest you uninstall McAfee. Reboot and install either NOD32 or Eset Internet Security in 30 day trial mode. Either one as part of the installation process with run an in-depth scan on all connected SDDs/HDDs; see below screen shot. This in-depth scan will include an UEFI/BIOS scan.

Ref.: https://www.eset.com/int/home/free-trial/

Eset_Scan.png.e68d0a06bf6a683007ab84a2069ffe77.png

Edited by itman

Posted (edited)

Thanks I intend to move to eset when McAfee trial ends also because I use both Win10 and Ubuntu. Is there a product line for both os?

Bios flash I did many times, foremost with my old pc before trashing it.

So I'm fed up with Asus and will ask for a refund and buy a similar Motherboard maybe msi etc. Thanks itman for the link.

Last question, should I return today also the RAM memory and Nvidia graphics or is this paranoid?

Thanks again

Edited by mike4

6 hours ago, mike4 said:

Last question, should I return today also the RAM memory and Nvidia graphics or is this paranoid?

I would say its paranoid,

The only memory attack I know of is row hammer and it applies to ECC memory which most users don't purchase due to its higher cost: https://www.wired.com/story/rowhammer-ecc-memory-data-hack/ .

As far as a nVidia firmware hack, I never have heard of one.