Exclusions

novice

Hello.

I have a firewall which I want to run it with NOD32 Antivirus (let's name it generic "Firewall"

The firewall is installed on C / Program Files (x86)

What and where do I add exclusions in NOD 32 ?

1. should I add only the main location (C/Program Files (x86)/ Firewall) or additionally all  .exe's ?

2. Should I add also drivers from System32?

3. In how many locations should I add the exclusions in NOD32?

Thanks!

• Most Valued Members

Why would you need to add exclusions if the application(or associated files)are not any type of "threat" ??

If anything being detected is false then it only needs reported and if its found to be clean then its detection is reversed.

13 minutes ago, novice said:

I have a firewall which I want to run it with NOD32 Antivirus (let's name it generic "Firewall"

Normally, you would not have to add exclusions for a basic third party firewall in NOD32. You only need to add exclusions when another security product that performs realtime scanning is employed. Which BTW is not recommended.

Are you referring to Comodo perhaps?

12 minutes ago, cyberhash said:

Why would you need to add exclusions if the application(or associated files)are not any type of "threat" ??

You do not add "exclusions" only if the application is a type of "threat"  . A typical example is Malwarebytes and another antivirus , where exceptions are required.

Anyway, back to my question....

3 minutes ago, itman said:

Normally, you would not have to add exclusions for a basic third party firewall in NOD32. You only need to add exclusions when another security product that performs realtime scanning is employed. Which BTW is not recommended.

Are you referring to Comodo perhaps?

No, PC Tools Firewall Plus on a Win7 /64 PC.

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, novice said:

You do not add "exclusions" only if the application is a type of "threat"  . A typical example is Malwarebytes and another antivirus , where exceptions are required.

Anyway, back to my question....

Funnily enough, i can run any second opinion scanners or firewalls without any trouble whatsoever and without exclusions. Only a second realtime scanner will cause problems. Nothing new and was even a issue back on windows 95 lol .

13 hours ago, novice said:

PC Tools Firewall Plus

The firewall is obsolete and hasn't been supported since mid-2013.

You're better advised to stick with the Win 7 firewall. If you want something to monitor outbound connections, check out the third party Win 7 firewall extensions such as Windows Firewall Control: https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php or the like. Better yet, update to Win 10 with a better built-in firewall since Win 7 end-of-life is next year. Or even more advisable, just upgrade to Eset Internet Security which also provides IDS protection.

8 hours ago, itman said:

The firewall is obsolete and hasn't been supported since mid-2013.

A rules based firewall is never obsolete as long as is compatible with an OS ( is like saying that Notepad is obsolete)

8 hours ago, itman said:

check out the third party

None of them, including the firewall from ESET, would add value or security to a computer:

1. all firewalls currently available can be easily bypassed by a child application connecting through a parent application (Example:  app.exe is blocked but app.exe  can connect through explorer.exe, which is allowed.)

1. none of them use FQDN , so is impossible to create rules for applications with dynamic addressing  ( Example:  "program" will update accessing  www. program.com , which can take any IP values  )

So, that's why I am using PC Tools

1 hour ago, novice said:

A rules based firewall is never obsolete as long as is compatible with an OS ( is like saying that Notepad is obsolete)

None of them, including the firewall from ESET, would add value or security to a computer:

1. all firewalls currently available can be easily bypassed by a child application connecting through a parent application (Example:  app.exe is blocked but app.exe  can connect through explorer.exe, which is allowed.)

1. none of them use FQDN , so is impossible to create rules for applications with dynamic addressing  ( Example:  "program" will update accessing  www. program.com , which can take any IP values  )

So, that's why I am using PC Tools

Well, it's your machine and if it is your choice to drive it in to the ground, have at it.

Just do not blame anyone but yourself.

Not sure why you are asking for advice as you have refused to listen to any (as in the past).

History repeats it's self.

Regards and good day,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

I will also add that since it appears you are a firewall expert, you should most certainly know what exclusions they would require.

Just don't expect Eset to be the least bit "accommodating" when it comes to conflicts with an obsolete and unsupported circa 2013 firewall.

Edited by itman

22 minutes ago, itman said:

I will also add that since it appears you are a firewall expert, you should most certainly know what exclusions they would require.

Just don't expect Eset to be the least bit "accommodating" when it comes to conflicts with an obsolete circa 2013 firewall.

Firewall expert....yeah sure.:lol:

novice your reputation precedes you. Maybe if you make nice, you might be treated accordingly.^_^

There is always a chance...it's totally up to you.:unsure:

Or just flush it away as you have in the past.

Best regards as always,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

2 hours ago, itman said:

you should most certainly know what exclusions they would require

How being an "expert" in firewalls will help me determine which exceptions to add in ESET NOD 32?

TomFace (the "wiseman"!!!), I asked a simple question. If you know, please share the knowledge ; if not, I am not interested in any other comments...

• Administrators

You can use a 3rd party firewall with ESET NOD32 Antivirus without creating any exceptions since they can't interfere with each other.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

You can use a 3rd party firewall with ESET NOD32 Antivirus without creating any exceptions since they can't interfere with each other.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, novice said:

TomFace (the "wiseman"!!!), I asked a simple question. If you know, please share the knowledge ; if not, I am not interested in any other comments...

My first reply your question mirrors exactly what @Marcos just replied to your exclusions question. Since it appears you are ignoring my replies, I will in the future ignore your inquiries.

2 hours ago, itman said:

My first reply your question mirrors exactly...

You know that the objects in a mirror are reversed....😀

On 3/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, itman said:

....Since it appears you are ignoring my replies, I will in the future ignore your inquiries.

Good idea itman....adding novice to the ignore list now.

Regards,

Tom

1 hour ago, TomFace said:

Good idea itman....adding novice to the ignore list now.

Regards,

Tom

Hilarious... what are you , five????  

• ESET Moderators

Please keep the topic technical and leave any personal hassles out of it.

As the correct response has been given by several users throughout the topic and it has now turned into an exchange of personal insults and mockery, we are locking it for further responses.

@novice Please refer to rules 23 and 24 and follow them in all your future posts.

• TomasP locked this topic