Where to begin?

Hello,

Just wondering if someone can point me in a general direction. I'm looking for some decent introduction to how to setup/configure an ESMC server while importing workstations that have older eset versions and updating/replacing them and licensing them.  I do have a few laptops/remote computers that I would like to support, so if there is documentation on how to set up that kind of support as well, that would be fantastic.

I've tried going to the help from within the ESMC server (I already did a basic VM setup), and I get an error :

"

ESET Security Management Center Help component not found.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

No Offline help component available for this language. Add Offline help to ESET Security Management Center.

You have no access to the internet. Check your internet connection and try again.

Unable to connect to Online help pages."

However, the offline help is only offered for windows/mac, and not the vmware image.

Edited by OrthoC

• ESET Staff

Does your ESMC server connection to the internet? In general it would need to for the licensing / updates to work properly. Then also the help would work.

You have not stated if you are migrating from an older ESET version, or from a totally unmanaged environment.  That would basically define the journey for me. Simplest way would be to deploy ESMC agents to your current computer, if they were either unmanaged for managed via older ESET Remote Administrator 5 and older. Once agent is deployed it will take over control of the machines. 

You can alternatively consult our installation and upgrade guide, at help.eset.com : https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/70/en-US/migration_from_era5.html 

@MichalJ

Thanks for the reply. This is a newly setup ESMC server that I'm trying to add endpoints that already had previously installed ESET security suite (not centrally managed though).

Most of the clients are running ESET 6.x, a few are still running 5.x , so I'd like to bring all machines into ESMC, perform an upgrade on all of those computers to the latest engine/version.

The ESMC does have internet access (via a firewall, but no specific blocking rules have been applied). So the help should work but it doesn't seem to. If it means anything this is running via the ESMC Virtual Appliance on an vmware server.

• ESET Staff
4 hours ago, OrthoC said:

The ESMC does have internet access (via a firewall, but no specific blocking rules have been applied). So the help should work but it doesn't seem to. If it means anything this is running via the ESMC Virtual Appliance on an vmware server.

Online help can be accessed directly from browser, so in case you cannot visit page https://help.eset.com/esmc_admin/70/en-US/computers.html from your client machine, there might be problem with configuration of firewall or other software blocking internet access.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:50 PM, OrthoC said:

However, the offline help is only offered for windows/mac, and not the vmware image.

Not sure we think the same, but offline help as described in documentation page is actually available for both windows and linux. This means it should work also in ESMC Appliance, except that paths might be little different as in generic linux deployment tutorial.

Regardless of that I would recommend to avoid using offline help as it might get outdated after a time -> it makes sense only in completely offline environment, and even there it might be easier to use device that actually has access to internet just to search in documentation for help.