How to disable v8.x upgrade to new version nag screen?

Robert_S

I appreciate V8.x has reached end of life, but I still have a need to continue using it on an old legacy PC.

I'd was hoping to reply in this thread in the thread below to receive an aswer on how to do this but it has been closed and archived.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/9227-how-to-i-disable-this-recent-upgrade-to-new-version-window-that-is-appearing/

Can somebody please send me a private message how to achieve this please?  I'm guessing it must be a entry in the registry that needs to be either edited or added.

Thanks in advance,

Robert.

• Administrators

The last version with support for Windows XP is v9 if that's why you have it installed. V8 has reached its end of life and we do not guarantee any further module and engine updates. Speaking about legacy PC, if it's running Windows 7 or newer, v10 and newer should be even lighter that older versions of ESET security products in terms of resource consumption.

Thank you replying Marcos, yes this particular system is running XP, I fully appreciate the risks associated with not upgrading but for the applications it runs and the light use it gets I don't want to perform an upgrade for this particular machine as it serves it purpose well as it is.

Can you tell how to go about disabling the upgrade message please?  

Hi TomFace, thank you for the reply.  Somewhat curiously I already have the Regularly check for latest product version button unchecked, but I still see this upgrade message from time to time.

Edited by Robert_S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat but finding it impossible to solve, no one is willing to help with out turning side ways, it's becoming a pain but the product is so damn good I just have to put up with it!

Good luck with this,

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ifti said:

I'm in the same boat but finding it impossible to solve, no one is willing to help with out turning side ways, it's becoming a pain but the product is so damn good I just have to put up with it! 

Are you using Windows XP that you don't want to upgrade from v8? Even then, the latest version with official support of Windows XP is version 9.

Thank you for your reply

I'm using windows 7 but I have had a pretty bad experience before with a zonealarm upgrade, I have decided to go by if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Would appreciate if you could DM a solution.

• Administrators

We don't have currently a solution but upgrade to the latest version. For users of Windows XP, we recommend upgrading to the latest version. The fact that v8 has already reached EOL also means that it can stop updating at any time without a prior notice or an update can cause issues that won't be solved since the product is not supported any more.

Moreover, v8 misses a lot of new features that ensure protection from emerging threats and therefore users get infected easier than with the latest version.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

We don't have currently a solution but upgrade to the latest version. For users of Windows XP, we recommend upgrading to the latest version. The fact that v8 has already reached EOL also means that it can stop updating at any time without a prior notice or an update can cause issues that won't be solved since the product is not supported any more.

Moreover, v8 misses a lot of new features that ensure protection from emerging threats and therefore users get infected easier than with the latest version.

understood thank you