How to I disable this recent "Upgrade to New Version" window that is appearing

Vocalpoint

We currently run NOD32 8.0.319.0 for very specific reasons (my company VPN for example) and have no intention of moving past this version until is makes technical sense to do so - but like Microsoft's completely annoying Windows 10 upgrade notices - I now see that ESET is doing the same with these periodic "Update to new version" dialog boxes that are appearing on all my workstations.

How do I shut this off and why does it not have a "do not show this window again" option.

I will update to a new version when I am ready to do it - and the more windows I see telling me to do it - the less chance of me ever doing it.

Appreciate any tips on how to get rid of this reminder.

VP

• Administrators

The upgrade reminder should begin to appear only once a month for v8 users soon, most likely with an option to skip this particular version. Of course, as v8 will become unsupported in a few years, it won't be possible to refuse update forever. Please bear in mind that new versions of security products usually bring also new protection and detection features so it's important not to refuse update to a new version for a long time (e.g. v10 will introduce Script monitor with support for AMSI introduced in Windows 10, Home network protection, Ransomware protection, etc.).

The upgrade reminder should begin to appear only once a month for v8 users soon, most likely with an option to skip this particular version. Of course, as v8 will become unsupported in a few years, it won't be possible to refuse update forever. Please bear in mind that new versions of security products usually bring also new protection and detection features so it's important not to refuse update to a new version for a long time (e.g. v10 will introduce Script monitor with support for AMSI introduced in Windows 10, Home network protection, Ransomware protection, etc.).

Marcos,

I do not think you understand how the real world works. It's not me begging to stay on v8 - it is forces like my corporate IT department that will only allow a specific level of AV to be used with our VPN's etc.

If they allowed 9 - I would use 9 but that is not my call to make.

Any user of NOD32 is most likely well aware that you guys are pumping out new versions with usual regularity. But the bottom line is - what you think is important may not be important to me. I can read the threads regarding higher memory and CPU usage (among other negatives) with each "new" version you put out.

But I am not interested in "new" especially when it involves anything to do with Windows 10 - which I will not using for a long long while (if ever).

Finally - I certainly do not need to have you remind me about a new version - even if it's just once a month.

I should be allowed to run what I need to run without being hassled by ESET.

VP

I couldn't agree more with the OP! Unwarranted nagging that can't be disabled is why I left another AV company. Guess I'll be leaving NOD32 again, probably for good.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, this is very annoying, especially for a non-free product. It would be one thing if they gave us a way to turn it off.

NOD used to be a lightweight, effective, stay out the way till needed type of product.  Lately it seems to be on a downhill trend with bloat, bugs, and now this nagging.

Seems I need to figure out a way to block this nagging or I guess it's time to find another less annoying product.

I'm not going to pay to be annoyed.

• Administrators

NOD used to be a lightweight, effective, stay out the way till needed type of product.  Lately it seems to be on a downhill trend with bloat, bugs, and now this nagging.

It still is and we've made a handful of enhancements to make it even lighter than any previous versions. If you feel that ESET v9 is much heavier on resources than previous versions, we'd like to look into it and pinpoint the cause.

Seems I need to figure out a way to block this nagging or I guess it's time to find another less annoying product.

The upgrade offer is now displayed once a month and we'll be adding an option to skip upgrade for fully supported versions (currently v8 but this will change in 1-2 years) soon. If anyone is having issues with the latest version, it is very important to report them to us. Without knowing possible issues, we won't be able to fix them.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes this is very annoying. We know there are newer versions of NOD32 available, but v 8, 9 and 10 keep disconnecting our network whenever any user downloads a single file. It took us ages to find the problem. This does not happen with v. 4, which is why we continue to use it. We won't upgrade until this network disconnect problem has been solved. Please stop nagging us to upgrade, because we can't. Thanks.

• Administrators

Yes this is very annoying. We know there are newer versions of NOD32 available, but v 8, 9 and 10 keep disconnecting our network whenever any user downloads a single file. It took us ages to find the problem. This does not happen with v. 4, which is why we continue to use it. We won't upgrade until this network disconnect problem has been solved. Please stop nagging us to upgrade, because we can't. Thanks.

V4 is really old and does not provide sufficient protection against current threats so upgrading to v8+ is a must. As of v5, we started using a driver that takes advantage of Windows Filtering Platform instead of old tdi drivers not officially supported / recommended to use by Microsoft. If you are having an issue with the Epfwwfpr driver, it could be a clash with another driver utilizing WFP or a missing patch for WFP. For all known WFP issues Microsoft has provided a hotfix.

I'd strongly recommend contacting ESET Customer Care to troubleshoot the issue as staying with v4 is really not a solution.

• Administrators

Lately it seems to be on a downhill trend with bloat, bugs, and now this nagging.

Please elaborate more on this. What bloat and bugs do you mean? If you have encountered any issues but haven't reported them, we cannot know about them and cannot address them.

V4 is really old and does not provide sufficient protection against current threats so upgrading to v8+ is a must. As of v5, we started using a driver that takes advantage of Windows Filtering Platform instead of old tdi drivers not officially supported / recommended to use by Microsoft. If you are having an issue with the Epfwwfpr driver, it could be a clash with another driver utilizing WFP or a missing patch for WFP. For all known WFP issues Microsoft has provided a hotfix.

I'd strongly recommend contacting ESET Customer Care to troubleshoot the issue as staying with v4 is really not a solution.

Ok, I understand, but this happens with Windows XP 32bit and 7 (32 bit and 64 bit) with all MS patches installed with Intel network drivers in Lenovo and Dell machines. It's a problem that will force us to stop using NOD32 if it isn't solved. I will try contacting customer care.

Edited by Graham Wilson

Marcos -- I trawled through the ESET website and can find no obvious way of contacting Customer Care. Can you help with a link? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand why so stubborn. This warning has just annoyed me. I can be free to choose without this alert out on my PC every hour? But why do things so stupid? I fully understand the question, and if I tell you, just once. Do not repeat the question every hour !!!

• 11 months later...

Has this issue of allowing a user to permanently get rid of the "Update" dialog when using a version of NOD32 that is not the current latest?  I'm on version 8 and want to stay there until it reaches end of life (on XP and W7).  I need a way to not have to see this dialog, even once in awhile, as I can only think of it as nagware. I have been using NOD32 for nearly ten years now, and appreciate it when the end user has the option to choose when to upgrade and not have to be prodded to do so.  Worse still is that upgrade.exe is downloaded (and run) when supposedly all I'm asking for is the a/v definitions update.

I'm aware of all the arguments for upgrading due to the increasing level of threats, but to me the upgrade dialog is dictatorial and should at least allow the user the option to not show it again.  If there is no option in the UI, then is there one that can be either applied to the registry or to the XML file that's used to save the settings?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, m-b said:

Has this issue of allowing a user to permanently get rid of the "Update" dialog when using a version of NOD32 that is not the current latest?

Please check your pm.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 2:05 PM, Marcos said:

Please check your pm.

I have v11 and would like to disable the popup upgrade reminder as well.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MarcFL said:

What upgrade reminder do you mean? V11 is the very latest version, we don't offer any program upgrade once you have v11 installed. Please post a screen shot for clarification.

Please PM me instructions too! 

And I cannot locate the setting to disable auto-updating of product updates (not database signatures), which just occurred, when I thought I had disabled the setting.

TY

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
50 minutes ago, abarth said:

Plese pm for stop update message in nod v8

V8 will reach its end of life next year. We strongly recommend upgrading to v11 as soon as possible. V11 not only brings new protection features but also fixes many issues from older versions.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, MarcFL said:

Please post a screen shot of the message you are receiving.