Why is my scan taking so long?

• Administrators

On my machine it took 1 hour and 45 minutes to finish a scan of the C drive with 3,2 mil. objects scanned in total.

The scan time depends on many variables. For instance, the more big archives (e.g. iso containers) you have, the longer it takes since files from each archive have to be extracted before they are scanned. You could try running a scan with archives disabled and see how long it will take then to scan the drive.

From time to time, my In-depth scan does seem to hang up as well (7+ hours...once I detect it I stop it). My normal In-depth scan takes 3-3.5 hours and scans about 2.2M items. With more recent EIS versions (v11 forward), my scan time grew about an hour.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

The initial Eset scan after installation takes a long time. Mine took 2 hours and 21 mins. for 380K items. Extrapolating that for 2.8 million objects would yield a time around 15 hours.

28 minutes ago, itman said:

The initial Eset scan after installation takes a long time. Mine took 2 hours and 21 mins. for 380K items. Extrapolating that for 2.8 million objects would yield a time around 15 hours.

The OP did not say it was an initial scan. If your scan is taking 2.4 hours for 380K items, that's too long. On my machine, a smart scan took 22.5 minutes to scan 247K items.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

On 11/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, TomFace said:

The OP did not say it was an initial scan. If your scan is taking 2.4 hours for 380K items, that's too long. On my machine, a smart scan took 22.5 minutes to scan 247K items.

Refer to my posting again. It specifically refers to the initial scan.

As far as the OP's original posting, he didn't state the context of the scan. I assumed with the times referenced, it was the initial scan.

Edited by Marcos
Unnecessary comment removed

• Most Valued Members

Comparing the time taken to scan thousands of files seems to be some what flawed from system to system.

I have two systems. One with a dual core slower CPU and 5 gigs of RAM. The other has a much faster quad core CPU with 8 GB of RAM. The time difference is  about 45 minutes or more longer on the slower system with basically the same number of files.  If you are using a SSD as opposed to a Spinner I would think that it would also make a difference with the increased read time of a SSD. Both systems are running Windows 7. I don't have a clue as to what the time would be on Windows 10 and never will.

When I am performing a scan I do not use the computer during the scan. I will scan when I'm finished with it for the day and let Eset turn the computer off when it's done.

To be honest I don't do a full scan very often as I feel if Eset is watching everything in and out along with start up and update scans I just don't see the need. But that's me.

• Administrators

Unnecessary comments and posts removed. Please keep your posts to the point and refrain from posting something that the others may take personally as offense.