Apache web server service stopped, cannot be started Error 1069

Hi Community,

since this morning it is no longer possible to log on to the ESET remote console, the Apache service is not running and cannot be started. The attempt to start fails with the following error message: "The ApacheHttpProxy service could not be started on  Local Computer. Error 1069: The service could not be started due to a failed logon" (analogously, the error message was translated from German).

We had similar problems with the installation of the remote console, but we fixed them by reinstalling the web server, but now it just stopped, although it ran without problems for a week. Does anyone know what went wrong and how to fix it?

The server is a Windows Server 2016 and the Apache Tomcat Webserver is Version 2.4.28

Thx & Bye Tom

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-07 um 08.14.20.png

Hi Community,

I have found a temporary solution, when the Apache service is running under the local system account, the web server is running, as default the network service was set. It is possible that I created now a significant security problem because the local system account has much more privileges.

Can someone verify under which account your Apache web server is running on Windows?

Thx & Bye Tom

Not sure this it applies for you, but updating Java 8 from Update 181 to Update 191 resulted in Tomcat not starting. Updating the path in the Tomcat systay Configure setting under the Java tab to the new 191 path resolved it.

Edited by csmith

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to check logs located in:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\Logs

As already mentioned, most probably reason why Tomcat is not running is change in Java configuration. If this is the case (i.e. if Java was updated recently), verify JAVA_HOME environment variable is correctly configured for all users. You may also use tomcat configuration utility located in it's program files directory, where you can explicitly set used java version.

Second most probable issue is conflict of listening ports. Please verify there is no other service listening on ports used by console.

Servus Community,

yesterday I had a two-hour TeamViewer session with a systems engineer from the distributor and he first updated all the components to the latest versions, because there was quite a mix up. However, the Java version was not an issue. Anyway, it works now, but that doesn't mean anything, it worked for a week before and then suddenly it didn't work anymore. Let's see how it turns out...

Thx for your attention & Bye Tom

• ESET Staff

could you verify there is no active client task "Remote Administrator components upgrade" that is regularly executed on machine where ERA WebConsole is installed? It is possible that during task execution with wrong parameter, console might be downgraded or corrupted.

Servus Martin,

as far as I have noticed the 'Remote Administrator' has been renamed to 'Security Management Center' in the latest version, is that right? There is actually a (parent) task called 'Security Management Center Components Upgrade' but there is only one task in, it called 'Agent Upgrade' with the settings linked below. I think this task was used yesterday because it applies to one of our test machines. Maybe there was such a task in the old version or you might see another suspicious candidate in the task list...

Thx & Bye Tom

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-08 um 08.35.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-08 um 08.47.32.png