Eset pending upgrade behavior

Noticed something that could be potentially unwanted behaviour by eset internet security, I had the notification about the new version being available and was holding off downloading and installing it  until i was convinced all was ok , but eset without warning silently downloaded  the latest version, and then generated a pop up message saying that it had done this and that a reboot was needed to complete the upgrade, I had not consented to this,  why is eset forcing these upgrades? PS the option in the update setting area for application  updates was set to off   which is why until i manually clicked to update button in the GUI, i didn't see it offered and a reboot cleared this showing that my version was not the current version

Edited by tommy456

• Administrators

Program updates are staggered. In the first step, we release it for users with pre-release updates. Next the program update is installed automatically, however, with a small probability which can be enforced by manual update. Over the time the probability gets higher and the program update is automatically installed to other users.

One thing you could try is to enable the "Ask for updates" parameter as shown in the below screen shot. Then set the "File size is greater than (KB)" parameter to 20000. This assumes that Eset product upgrades are larger than 20 MB which I believe is always the case.

Eset_Update.thumb.png.92759476cb54b2db26b7aa0363c19f59.png

Thank's I'll try that, So far everything seems to work ok, after the last borked build, that support had to remove manually I'm now sceptical, earlier builds didn't do this forced upgrade, in fact all you had to do is disable the notification nag pop up and continue using the outdated version iirc, A freind of mine i think is still using version 9