A little recon . . .

Arakasi

hxxp://www.bitdefender.com/tech-assist/pc-optimizer.html?icid=NA_pc-optimizer_homepage_banner

This sounds cool. Sounds like what i do on a daily basis for computers brought to me for repair.

Fix registry errors, clean temp files, scan for viruses and remove, optimize software for collaboration,

run diskchk , run defrag , run sfc /scannow , check for software updates, check for windows updates, remove unwanted software, and complete a quick training for the client on usage going forward.

However it also sounds shaky and quite possibly a difficult project to put together for a security company verses a PC repair company. Of course it would have to be 100% remote, and would require a dedicated team.

Pulling it off flawlessly would be an eye opener.

Just a few questions for ESET.

Would ESET consider this ?

Could it have a substantial impact on revenue for the company ?

Would users and customers want something like this from ESET ?

Im not sure about other vendors, but ESET already provides free support to customers with active subscriptions.

I do not know how far into the computer ESET support digs, just malware infection cleaning and standard cleanup i think. Please confirm if possible.

Thanks for reading and look forward to feedback. :)

Hey..

Thanks for the article and input Arakasi, "thumbs up" . Is this tool based on a yearly subscription? If it is, then it is a costly solution for a normal user. For the price 55.99 $ you can get a total Backup and Recovery solution, from Paragon to 40 $, that will cover you, and in my perspective do a better work, or at least the same as the solution from Bitdefender. I have mixed feelings about these added solutions. No doubt that " service ", when things go wrong , will be or is a strong competitive factor No, I hope....and I know it will demand extra man hours, that Eset in its advertising of its products, will offer its users a possibility to a directly uplink to costumer support, if necessary. It's already a possibility that exists, but they,.... I mean Eset,... just have to advertise this possibility more clearly, and support it with man hours, of course. So a slogan would or could sound like, " Support 24/7.. with possibility with a directly connection to a professional Eset support assistant", included in your subscription" ...We live Security 24/7...for you.. But reality kicks in, unfortuannly, so it would probably mean a raise up the subscription for all, or the solution could be like Bitdefenders and Nortons, be a added supbscription.....I dont know Arakasi ,I have very mixed feeling about this..

Regards Janus :-))

Yeah, my feelings were pretty mixed too.

It sounds like a 1 time $55 , its not software, but service, we will not only remove viruses. but evaluate, analyze, and hammer your computer into a flawless working computer around all the hardware and software you use, including windows files etc.

It would definitely be a better deal if it was a 1 year sub for maintenance. However that would kill staff, some people would decide to call in once a week to have a tech remote in and clean. :) Then imagine 500,000 people on the plan doing the same thing. lol

It also sounds like an outreach for revenue as well, when looked at from a different perspective.

I think it sounds cool, but also doesn't really portray ESET.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the whole idea, and made it better B)

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/protection/virus-removal/

Hey nice joke man  :D  :P   

Sorry, this page is only available to residents of North America.

Click here to visit your local distributor

hxxp://www.eset.com/.../virus-removal/

Shame I can't access I wonder what I am missing out on  :(

Edited by SweX

Here Swex my friend

;)

Thank you mate.  :D

I'm glad it's focused on malware removal and not some "pc optimizer" stuff like the BD site.  :)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

ESET offices, distributors and resellers offer various products and services which may—or may not—be available to the rest of the world. Those might be in response to local market conditions, a particular business area in which they are entrenched, or even a test to see if something works on a small scale before rolling it out on a larger one.

ESET's core offerings are in anti-malware field, and although those do extend outward from complementary technologies like anti-spam and firewalls to closely-related areas such as authentication and encryption, ESET's core focus has always been on security.  Services such as backups (which we've discussed elsewhere in the forum) are important as well, but the technological underpinnings of those are not really directly related in terms of development, and it would probably be better to work with someone who has an established background in those fields.

Now, when it comes to the whole boost/fix/improve/optimize/repair/tune/tweak/make-it-betterer field, I think everyone has to understand that there's a lot of ambiguity in this field.  A lot of the programs which claim to offer this kind of service make very exaggerated claims, both in terms of the problems faced by computers and in the effect their software will have on ameliorating them.

There used to be a time when applying various tweaks to the registry and .INI files could affect a computer's performance, but since the days of Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows has been largely self-tuning.  Now, that doesn't mean that the operating system cannot be manually changed to improve performance, but modern versions of Windows seem to do a much better job of that automatically and making further changes beyond those seems to lead to diminishing returns, and sometimes with a consequence of decreased system stability and reliability.  Frankly, these days I think most people are better off letting Windows manage itself on their computers.  The personal computer industry has just evolved to the point where that kind of need to constantly tinker under-the-hood is no longer required.  Of course, it can be a lot of fun to do so, but there's kind of a difference between being a computer hobbyist who is making those changes to their home PCs versus a corporate IT department who needs things to be as stable as possible for their non-technical users.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Now, when it comes to the whole boost/fix/improve/optimize/repair/tune/tweak/make-it-betterer field, I think everyone has to understand that there's a lot of ambiguity in this field.  A lot of the programs which claim to offer this kind of service make very exaggerated claims, both in terms of the problems faced by computers and in the effect their software will have on ameliorating them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes indeed, and if I know my ESET folks right then they would never consider to add such features to the products.  :)