Should Eset have a integrated image backup function

Janus

Hello..let us think out of the box, a bit...

Should Eset have a integrated image backup and recovery function, as a part of Eset Smart Security? ......The integrated total image backup and recovery function, could work like this. When you install Eset Smart Security, then it will ask you if you want to create a separate partition on your hard drive. On that partition Eset will place the image backup file of your system, so in case that your system is compromised, or other severe issues, then you will be able to do a total restoring of your system. The way, to get to the backup image file could be done by using the Eset rescue disk (in Linux), or by changes done to the MBR (master boot record), so you only have to press the F1 key to get to your image file before windows boot up. Personally I like the idea, and think it will besides Eset anti theft-media and heuristic protection, complete Eset, so it actually cover the user on all bases, regarding security of the users system. What do you think?

Regards Janus :-))

Edited by Janus

Hello Janus ! :D

I think this is a great idea. However . . .

It sounds like system restore :huh:

ESET could easily add integration of system restore and the creation of microsoft image restore points. Give the user ability to create them. . . through the interface, so to speak.

This would reduce the amount of coding and resources, ESET would need to complete the project.

Also, don't forget you can't create or change partitions on the active drive running windows. Users would need an extra drive handy, a USB stick readily available like Sysrescue requires, OR. . .

a reboot after installation to get off the drive, and onto memory to begin the partition changing. ( I am assuming ESET would then proceed to create an environment for Sysrescue on the partition and the stored image(s)).

I like this idea, and where it may be going. We just need some more thoughts and ideas thrown up in the air. Especially from some of the fine people here ;)

Great thinking Janus

+1 :ph34r:

Hey Janus and Arakasi. I agree that it is useful.

As long as it is developed "in-house" and not licensed of another company, e.g how another vendors "password manager" is licensed from LastPass and not developed in-house by the vendor. There's nothing wrong with Lastpass but I think you know what I mean ;).

Since that's one of several reasons I like about ESET software it's all developed in-house by ESET and I really hope the "whole package" continues to be developed in-house! :)

And/Or do what Arakasi mention take advantage of what the OS already provides and simply integrate it in some form.

Hey Janus and Arakasi. I agree that it is useful.

As long as it is developed "in-house" and not licensed of another company, e.g how another vendors "password manager" is licensed from LastPass and not developed in-house by the vendor. There's nothing wrong with Lastpass but I think you know what I mean ;).

Since that's one of several reasons I like about ESET software it's all developed in-house by ESET and I really hope the "whole package" continues to be developed in-house! :)

And/Or do what Arakasi mention take advantage of what the OS already provides and simply integrate it in some form.

Oh yes, I definitely know what you mean SweX, and I agree with you more than 100% ( more than 100%, didn't thought it was possible :D ).

See you around SweX, and have a nice day.....and thanks for your feedback my friend

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Backing up data and, more importantly--restoring it is hard, and I personally would rather partner with someone who had some expertise and experience in the area.

That said, the feature request will be passed on at the earliest opportunity to the product management folks (some of whom are on holiday right now).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

Backing up data and, more importantly--restoring it is hard, and I personally would rather partner with someone who had some expertise and experience in the area.

That said, the feature request will be passed on at the earliest opportunity to the product management folks (some of whom are on holiday right now).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks Aryeh ,and a Happy new year to you, of course.

Partnering with external company means advocating their solution and being blamed for partner mistakes.

I don't think ESET should do that in times of surveillance.

Arakasi - "Backup and Restore was deprecated in the most recent versions of Windows" (hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_and_Restore)

True for windows 8 users, although a higher percentage remain on 7 & Xp.

Companies like Infrascale are doing great things by allowing rebranding. Data backup and redundancy has always been paramount in the case of hardware failure.

In today's time everyone is implementing it not just incase of hardware failure, but more importantly as a proactive defense against the increasing online malware epidemic.

Malwarebytes recently signed on with sos; although my company started using sos long before. So far its been working great for our users with little to no emerging issues.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Many companies OEM or rebrand their products to other companies, offer SDKs for other companies and so forth.

There are definitely concerns about storing data in the cloud, but the original request was for a disk-imaging type of backup and restore solution. These tend to be local-only kinds of operations locally and not based in the cloud.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Partnering with external company means advocating their solution and being blamed for partner mistakes.

I don't think ESET should do that in times of surveillance.

Arakasi - "Backup and Restore was deprecated in the most recent versions of Windows" (hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_and_Restore)

I stand by what I said before, as long as it is developed by ESET in-house i'm happy. There are no tech in ESET software today that has been licensed from and developed by some other company and I would really like it to stay that way.

Or ESET could acquire a backup company make some ESET tweaks to the software to get the ESET feeling and ESET standard before implementing it and maybe it can be nice too, but just maybe. ESET is ESET and in-house is in-house that's hard to beat  ;)  

But a list of good recommended reliable backup softwares to use with ESET can be a good start I guess.  :unsure:

I don't see any need for Eset to get into the backup business, because Acronis and other backup services can be found easily by doing a Google search for Acronis.

Eset's NOD32 v7.0.302.26 installation file of only 71,072kb, or Eset's Smart Security installation file of about 80,000kb, would be swamped by adding into it a full backup images program.  Backup image software is much larger than Eset's software.

For a new 64-bit Windows7 Sp1 Dell laptop, for more than a year I have been making backup images of my partitions C: and D: onto an external USB 3.0 Western Digital "My Passport" disk, using WesternDigital's Edition of Acronis True Image Backup (which came with the WesternDigital disk at no extra cost).  My WDEdition Acronis software is from 2012, version 14192;  its installation file is 151,529kb.  But the latest version became available sometime in 2013; its installation file is 265,729kb, and it probably is necessary for Windows8.

Western Digital Edition Acronis software works only if the backup location is a Western Digital disk.  But standard Acronis itself (which has more features that are unnecessary for me) of course doesn't have that requirement.

I am very happy with the backups I have made using WDEdition Acronis 14192 onto the Western digital "My Passport," including numerous restorations when I had installed experimental software that I decided I didn't want, and I had restored a Partition C: backup.  And I appreciate Acronis ability to check the validity of a backup, either after making the backup or before restoring it.

After reviewing the documentation for the WDEdition Acronis 2013, I didn't see any reason for me to adopt the new version.

Whether the 14192 version is still available, I know not.  But based on a search for Acronis 14192, with result

hxxp://www.wdc.com/wdsearch/Search.aspx?sc=&sl=en-US&sq=acronis&x=0&y=0,

I think that it probably still is available for download.

And there is a large collection of other Western Digital Acronis versions, about which I know nothing, at

hxxp://www.wdc.com/wdsearch/?sc=&sl=en-US&sq=acronis&x=0&y=0

To get to either of the two Western Digital locations above, first go to the Western Digital Community, at

hxxp://community.wd.com/

and register to set up an account.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Edited by RNFolsom