Hi. I have windows 7 64 bit ESET Smart Security 7 V 7.0.302.26..and i have some  a strange issue. When I  was trying start smart scan..then i've got  messages about error opening HDD C;/D: and more stuff  (in safe mode have this  same message) How can I fix it ? 

post-2629-0-24611200-1388371481_thumb.png

Edited by Piotr

• Administrators

The errors are mainly because you ran the scan in the account of the logged user who doesn't have permissions to read the objects.

It's strange... Cuz I'm the administrator. When I rebooted my computer and I'm waiting for connection to  internet..I don't know why I never had this before.ESET shows me, that HDD C:\D:\  and more stuff is clean and scanning is proceeding more quickly than always. 

Marcos, I too have noticed a sudden increase (since version 7 I think) in the number of files that cannot be opened for one reason or another (they are not Crypto folders as far as I can tell). I always had 4 files that could not be opened. I am the administrator.

• Administrators

You should get those errors only if you click "Scan". If you click "Scan as Administrator", the folder with be scanned with elevated administrator rights so the errors shouldn't appear.

There is a difference between user in admin group rights and elevated admin rights.
Having an account within the administrators group is not the same as 'THE' actual local admin account.
Just wanted to add that for the early learners.

Edited by Arakasi

Keep in mind that once ESET scans an object, the hash and signatures are captured and ESET won't rescan the same files again unless changed or altered.

This is the basics of why the first scan will significantly increase future scan times.

ESET’s ThreatSense® scanning engine uses several types of detection signatures for detecting malicious objects (files, processes, URLs, etc.). The signature types range from very specific hashes (useful, for example, in targeting specific malicious binaries, specific versions of malware, statistical purposes, or simply giving a more precise detection name to a malware that we have been detecting generically) to so-called DNA-based generic signatures, which are rather complex definitions of malicious behavior and malware characteristics. These generic signatures also rely on heuristics and emulation to evaluate the scanned sample.

In the generic signatures lies the strength of ESET’s proactive detection. This means that the detection is effective, as well as efficient – a single well-crafted generic signature can detect thousands of related malware variants and that our antivirus software can detect not only malware that we know of, or have seen before, but also new, previously unknown variants.

Related products: ESET LiveGrid® Technology is used in all ESET products:

ESET's own text and description.

Please familiarize yourself with this link : hxxp://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/technology/

Edited by Arakasi

You should get those errors only if you click "Scan". If you click "Scan as Administrator", the folder with be scanned with elevated administrator rights so the errors shouldn't appear.

Don't want to sound dumb, but I have a daily in-depth scan scheduled. I looked at the set up (profile) and I do not see a section to select "scan as administrator". Did I miss it? :unsure:

Update 10.11AM EST-just did a manual scan as administrator-still getting many of the following (just one example) and other errors:

C:\Users\Valued Customer\Downloads\install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aaa_aih.exe » ZIP » images/bgheadererror.gif - error - password-protected file

Is this important? Something I can fix?

Edited by TomFace

TomFace open ESET> go to computer scan >>>custom scan>>>and then you have it "scan as Administrator" and tell me how quickly it scans...;) 

TomFace open ESET> go to computer scan >>>custom scan>>>and then you have it "scan as Administrator" and tell me how quickly it scans... ;)

That I just did: 1hr 3min-did it as an administrator (still getting errors)-what I am referring to is my daily scheduled scan-cannot find "scan as administrator" option when setting that up.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

Don't want to sound dumb, but I have a daily in-depth scan scheduled. I looked at the set up (profile) and I do not see a section to select "scan as administrator". Did I miss it?  :unsure:

Unlike on-demand scans run from gui, scheduled scans are run in the local system account so basically all files should be scanned except those exclusively being open or used by the operating system or applications.

Don't want to sound dumb, but I have a daily in-depth scan scheduled. I looked at the set up (profile) and I do not see a section to select "scan as administrator". Did I miss it?  :unsure:

Unlike on-demand scans run from gui, scheduled scans are run in the local system account so basically all files should be scanned except those exclusively being open or used by the operating system or applications.

OK, whatever.

I was just hoping to better understand what I am seeing, errors when scanning as an administrator or not . I'll open a case with Support.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators
OK, whatever.

I was just hoping to better understand what I am seeing, errors when scanning as an administrator or not . I'll open a case with Support.

I think there's nothing more to add and everything was explained above unless you receive other errors during scans.

• Administrators

I have the same problems as before...."scan as Administrator" doesn't work ;'(

DO you mean that you get the error opening file when scanning the very same files in the Crypto folder as shown in the first screen shot above?

Now..I have problem with opening...AppData\Roaming,AppData\Local\microsoft....AppData\local\google and more.... I think it is virus ;'( 

• Administrators

There will always be some files that are exclusively used by the operating system or applications and access for other applications is denied. You can check if you can access files in that folder with elevated admin rights but I assume you won't be able to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Yes...and i have more....i think it's biggest problem then i thought...maybe it's virus or bug ? 

What folders / files do you mean? Please always post a screen shot or copy & paste the appropriate scan log records here so that we can comment on it.