Looking to Upgrade from 5.x..Opinions on upgrade path

Looking to upgrade my 5.x endpoint client and FIleserver 4.x client. Looking for feedback on most stable and problem free 6.x version i should upgrade to. I have been reading thru the forums and saw some issues mentioned here and there with Windows endpoint problems and also saw a mention of very slow file access on Windows servers from a year or so ago with no obvious solution form ESET.

After you get ESET REMOTE Admin version 6.x installed and agent pushed out to a Version 5.x endpoint you can "request configuration" and "convert to policy" to bring over policies for Version 5.x. If you were just using the defaults in ERA 5.x you can just use the default Version 6.x Endpoint for Windows policy. In ERA 6.5 console you will create a client uninstall task to remove V5 Endpoints and 4.5 File Security. I highly recommend unhooking self defense on 4.5 EFS before uninstall as some uninstalls have been known to hang and self defense was causing it. After you have push uninstall and rebooted (client install task of V6 product will fail if you don't reboot first) then do client install task and push 6.6 out to endpoints. I have not heard of any issue with current build causing slow file access. If all endpoints are protected you may want to turn off network scanning for real time file system protection.

• ESET Staff

@slarkins Advices given to you by @tmuster2k are correct.

1. Install ERA V6.5 server
  2. Deploy ERA V6 agents, to the machines, where older Endpoints are still running (if your network was managed by ERA V5, the moment agents gets there, it would overtake the old Endpoints). NOTE: Be careful with this step. If you were using update mirror in ERA V5 to update the clients, and clients did not have username & password in their configuration, you will have to activate them in order to get updates properly. Also, please carefully evaluate, whether you want to use caching of updates / installers using the HTTP Proxy. If the HTTP Proxy option is selected during installation of ERA V6, it will automatically create policies for the most commonly used products, to update via proxy. This will replace the update server settings to "AUTOSELECT".
  3. After ERA V6 agent is deployed, you should proceed the way suggested above:
    1. Uninstall the older product & subsequent reboot (this is unfortunately essential in case of older 4.5 windows server product, as their uninstall routine has hardcoded reboot, which will happen in the middle of the "upgrade" and the task from ERA would fail).
    2. Install the new product, and activate for working properly.

Some additional guidance:

Thanks for the info so far...I am really interested in feedback from users currently on 6.x (that came from 5.x)with regards to stability and /or issues with the current endpoint and file server agents.. I know when 6.x first came out it had some major bugs...curious if the 6.x product has matured enough to have all those previous glitches taken care of..

When i upgraded from 4.x to 5.x, i stood up separate admin servers...then did the upgrade process for the endpoints at each pc...I am really not one to push installs to endpoints...and the number of endpoints i support  i can easily manage at each pc...

• ESET Staff

@slarkins Although I am a bit biased, from the point of view of being the PM responsible for ERA, I would like to assure you, that ERA version 6.5 is a stable, reliable product, that we are getting a lot of positive feedback for. But of course, I encourage other users, to provide feedback to you.

Also, if you are not a big company, I would maybe recommend you to wait for a couple of months, as in September we will globally release ESET Cloud Administrator, which is cloud-based version of ERA, focused on the needs of smaller companies (up to 250 managed computers). You will not have to take care of the server, its maintenance, and the entire operation would be much simpler.

• ESET Insiders

Hi @slarkins

I was previously running both Era 4 and 5,and are now on v6. 

Version 5 was a much more simple product, and at first sight v6 will seem a bit complex. Once you have spent some time with it, you will learn of how works, and you will appreciate all the extra features and possibilities of era 6.

For small business, the main reason for upgrading is the new endpoint and file security products, as these are much better than the old (and provide much better security) . For larger companies the new manager gives you way more possibilities than the old, and is worth the upgrade on its own.