Still on 8.0.319.0, what's different?

soulweeper

I'm still on version 8.0.319.0, and it's ok.....go ahead and laugh. Don't remember the version, but I remember you could no longer import your settings like the older version, so I've just kept blowing it off, haha.

Anyway, guess it's up to 11 now, yes? That said, is it best to upgrade through the program, or do a manual upgrade, like the old days? Also....any tips, as far as configuring, or is it good "out of the box". My only concern would be setting up my weekly scan, but I'm assuming that's just as easy as ever, yes?

Sorry if they seem like stupid questions, I've just been resisting the change for a while, and trying to get a heads up on the latest version. Had a couple weird things happen lately, and realized it's better to have the latest protection, as the crappy people in this world keep progressing. :)

Thanks, in advance!

41 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Simply install v11 over v8 which will also ensure that your current settings will be retained.

Would I do that right from the upgrade option, right in the program? The reason I ask that is, a long time ago, it was considered best to uninstall the current version first, then do a clean install. I often heard not to use the live installer too, just do the offline version. If that is still the best way, I can configure the new version, but if none of that matters like it used to, or seemed to, I'll do it through the program.

• Administrators

Couldn't it be that you are using Windows XP? V9 is the latest version that officially supports this OS.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Couldn't it be that you are using Windows XP? V9 is the latest version that officially supports this OS.

No.....Windows 7. Should it be jumping to 11, or will it simply do one at a time, maybe??

While you are waiting for a Mod to answer your question, here's a link to older ESET versions should you want to take it one step at a time.

https://support.eset.com/kb2885/

I would think your could just over lay them. Or you could do a clean install by Uninstalling them https://support.eset.com/kb6338/

or us the ESET Manual uninstaller tool https://support.eset.com/kb2289/

• Administrators

I've upgraded from 8.0.319 to v11.1.42. It takes 2 intermediary updates to v9.x, e.g. due to the change of certificates that occurred a longer time ago but you will finally update to the latest version. Or you can uninstall v8 and install v11.1.42 directly.

18 hours ago, Marcos said:

I've upgraded from 8.0.319 to v11.1.42. It takes 2 intermediary updates to v9.x, e.g. due to the change of certificates that occurred a longer time ago but you will finally update to the latest version. Or you can uninstall v8 and install v11.1.42 directly.

If I do it with the intermediary updates, I save my settings, yes? If IO do a clean install of version 11, then obviously I have to configure it. All I really care about is the weekly scan. Do most people use it "right out of the box"?

• Administrators

Yes, settings are saved whenever you install a newer version over an older one or if you perform in-product update. We are going to release a legacy product update for users with older versions to upgrade them smoothly to v11 without the intermediary updates.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Yes, settings are saved whenever you install a newer version over an older one or if you perform in-product update. We are going to release a legacy product update for users with older versions to upgrade them smoothly to v11 without the intermediary updates.

I know the live installer had a bad reputation a long time ago....is the in-product update any better, or am I better off installing 11 right over 8?

• ESET Insiders

I guess it does not really matter. You have already spent more time researching how to it, than just really doing it. Just jump in to it, you can't really go wrong either way :)