Reproducible BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD after installing Eset on Dell Precision 5520 on Autumn Edition

I've installed the latest ESet on my laptop 10 last week and 11 today. Both cause the machine to bugcheck regularly. The machine is rock stable after uninstalling and switching back to Windows Defender. I can share a dump file.

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Crash Address Stack Address 1 Stack Address 2 Stack Address 3 Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time
MEMORY.DMP 30/10/2017 21:47:39 BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x000000c2 00000000`00000004 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 ffffc787`c176cdb8             x64           C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP 8 15 16299 2.698.196.132 30/10/2017 21:49:16

• Most Valued Members

Bad pool caller errors are generally caused by bad or out of date drivers. Might be worth checking to see if you have all the latest ones installed on your laptop. Best to check the website of your laptop manufacturer as the ones windows installs by default can often be problematic.

16 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Bad pool caller errors are generally caused by bad or out of date drivers. Might be worth checking to see if you have all the latest ones installed on your laptop. Best to check the website of your laptop manufacturer as the ones windows installs by default can often be problematic.

Yeah, I know. I'm pretty obsessive about staying updated. And unfortunately, Dell itself isn't pretty good so far in shipping drivers that work well together, so it's been a bit of a bumpy right the first few months using this otherwise wonderful machine. in a couple of months, I suspect they'll be releasing all the Dell vetted Autumn Edition drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

More debugging is pointing to Free Download Manager Pro, specifically by a drive it uses to intercept downloads from the browser called WinDivert. Currently testing with Hyper-V and Docker enabled again after uninstalling Free Download Manager.

Looks like WinDivert has recently closed an issue that could be the cause for this blue screen.

Edited by Jesse Houwing

It's interesting to see that Avast/AVG are detecting the corrupt buffer and work around it. I suspect that either detecting the presence of the broken driver or working around its corruption may be required. 

• Most Valued Members
17 minutes ago, Jesse Houwing said:

It's interesting to see that Avast/AVG are detecting the corrupt buffer and work around it. I suspect that either detecting the presence of the broken driver or working around its corruption may be required. 

You should email the developer as they are the best people to speak to about fixing the issue

On 11/15/2017 at 10:35 PM, peteyt said:

You should email the developer as they are the best people to speak to about fixing the issue

Agreed. But I was surprised by the length taken by Avast/AVG to evade the bluescreen. I suspect there are more tools using WinDivert and I hope they're trying harder to keep up. 

• 2 weeks later...