Latest update broke Win 7 x64 Pro

IshR

Hi,

I accepted an update notification from Nod32 on both my computers.

The Win10 Pro-x64 version seems to have gone ok, but the update to Win7 Pro-x64 broke Windows.

I had to perform a System Restore to the restore point associated with the Nod32 update.

I'm curious if anyone has had this issue because I had the same problem on a recent Windows update a few weeks ago. I had installed a few updates and the system got into the same state after a reboot: No network coinnectivity and multiple "Server execution failed" messages in explorer.exe. I went back to an earlier restore point there - but it was hard to identify exactly which windows update broke it as I'd installed a few at the same time.

This time around it failed right after the Nod32 10.1.219 update (from 10.0.390) - so it was clear that I needed to go back. Rolling back to 10.0.390 seemed to resolve it.

Anyone encountered the same problem?

Cheers

You could say that ... We use NOD32 on our customer's computers. Until recently, this was out primary antivirus solution. (we are talking a few thousand PC's, here). Since the 10.1.219, just about every PC running windows 7 X64 has been in with this issue. (windows unresponsive), unworkably slow. Solution is simple: boot in safe mode with networking, remove Nod32 using the start menu - eset -uninstall  (in control panel, it won't uninstall), download the NOD32 manual uninstaller and clean up the residual file(s). Reboot, reinstall, and porblem sorted...

Good luck,

Bruno.

chiming in with the same issue.
 Computer is unworkable, 95% of my RAM is in use and not a single program works.
windows 7 Home Premium running 10.1.219.1

EDIT: BRUBA's solution seems to work. start in safe mode, uninstall, reinstall.

Edited by Prae255
reinstalling seems to fix this

I have seen this exact thing on 7 PC's so far in the last 2 weeks after updating to 10.1.219, each time having to uninstall and reinstall. Any ideas why this happens.

the symptoms are high CPU usage, non responsiveness, out of memory errors...at first i thought it was virus's or hardware, but the above solution has worked 100% of the time over the last 2 weeks

• ESET Insiders
On 9/15/2017 at 6:07 PM, Marcos said:

Anyone having issues with web access and email protection, download and install the latest not yet released version 10.1.230 from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tsiifvxzviym8z/AAB4VjY71XE9pzq6woz7Ch1ua?dl=0.

What's with the command window that flashes on the screen when logging on?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, stackz said:

Please provide more details as I have no clue what kind of logon you mean.

• ESET Insiders
19 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please provide more details as I have no clue what kind of logon you mean.

Win7x64 using v 10.1.230.0

When I boot the computer and log into my account, a command window flashes on the monitor seemingly as EGUI loads.

Rolled back to 10.1.219.0 and no more cmd window at logon.

Also received this exact issue.

Contacted ESET support and received no response :angry:

I rolled back to version 10.1.219.0 and have not updated since.

I won't update till I get confirmation from ESET that the new update won't cause the same issue.

• Administrators
On 9/17/2017 at 7:45 AM, stackz said:

This is by design. We had to change the way egui starts in order to comply with Microsoft certification.

• Administrators

For those having issues, try upgrading to the latest v10.1.230 as instructed above. Should the problem persist, please provide as detailed description of the issue as possible. If it's an issue with system responsiveness and you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, make sure that you have the following hotfix installed: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2664888/computer-stops-responding-when-you-run-an-application-that-uses-the-wi.

• 2 weeks later...

Ey!! What happen to the new version of Eset 10.1.231.1????less  than 10 seconds to boot up  my windows 10 pc and when i´m on the desktop, it takes 30 seconds to load the new eset not to mention the annoying command window...............common eset, are you serious?

If that´s your way I will have to move to Windows Defender Security Center wich is free and it´s not disturbing nor causing troubles.

Edited by jlmcr87

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, jlmcr87 said:

Ey!! What happen to the new version of Eset 10.1.231.1????less  than 10 seconds to boot up  my windows 10 pc and when i´m on the desktop, it takes 30 seconds to load the new eset not to mention the annoying command window...............common eset, are you serious?

As of v11, egui is loaded by the operating system when the resource load is lower. We had to change the behavior in order to acquire Microsoft certification. It's just the gui that loads with a small delay, not the kernel which is the component responsible for protecting the system.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

As of v11, egui is loaded by the operating system when the resource load is lower. We had to change the behavior in order to acquire Microsoft certification. It's just the gui that loads with a small delay, not the kernel which is the component responsible for protecting the system.

Ok, so if my pc loads the desktop inmediatly after entering the password, why the hell i have to wait 30 seconds for the eset icon to appear in the system tray? This is not a small delay, this is a BIG one.

Also the eset splash screen is disturbing because in 30 seconds my pc open all i want and i´m already working.

And what about the command window?It´s also a Microsoft requeriment? Very bad Eset.....don´t play with us. We are your customers.

We want fast and not disturbing software. You have time to fix that before the final release. I´m sure you can find a workaround.

Edited by jlmcr87

• 2 weeks later...

Still seeing the problems with 10.1.219  update, as soon as the customer reboots machine after the update windows just goes haywire. Booting into safemode and using removal tool , then reinstalling 10.1.219  from scratch works fine, but why is the update still out there if it known to be happening. Today is number 5 for the last fortnight. Customers are beginning to question ESET's reliability ( yes i see the irony because Nortons/McAfee...are so much more stable NOT)