I just downloaded trial version of ESET smart security 10.  Downloaded OK but now notice pop up messages indicating error in updating database.

When I run update I get message saying 'virus database update ended with error' This message appears in automatic and manual update, however, when I click off message check update on menu it says " database up to date'.

Any way to rectify please ?

• Administrators

In the advanced setup, Tools -> Diagnostics enable advanced update engine logging. Then run manual update. Finally collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated zip file via pm.

OK found more comprehensive menu in F5 . I clicked 'on demand computer scan' same error result -no  log files to see. I notice that no update has been effective since installation approx 8 hours ago.  Network connections are OK.

Edited by tuanton

• Administrators

Not sure why you ran on-demand scan because I wrote " In the advanced setup, Tools -> Diagnostics enable advanced update engine logging. Then run manual update."

OK I am doing best I can with my limited knowledge but since you seems to be losing a bit of patience forget it and I uninstall it and take another option.

This morning after overnight PC shutdown, it seems to have updated on start up. I will see what happens as the day goes.

• Most Valued Members
26 minutes ago, tuanton said:

This morning after overnight PC shutdown, it seems to have updated on start up. I will see what happens as the day goes.

I'm sure that if it has updated once then you wont experience any more problems. You can make sure by checking the database here against the definitions you have currently installed.

hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info

Cyberhash - thanks for that. Still seems to be all ok and I have checked the database with the link and my copy is latest, so presume just leave alone to update automatically as and when the system dictates ?

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, tuanton said:

Cyberhash - thanks for that. Still seems to be all ok and I have checked the database with the link and my copy is latest, so presume just leave alone to update automatically as and when the system dictates ?

Yeah the update process is automatic, previous versions displayed a pop up message when updates were performed by default and can be nice to amend this manually for newer versions so that it shows when updates are completed :)

Just the matter of changing 1 setting , by opening GUI , then pressing F5 , and going to the update tab and , moving the slider shown below to an X (so that it does not block messages) :)

updateenable.jpg

Thanks again. My limited I/T is improving !!!  I managed to check out the update process and found I already have the tick in place. I have previously been using Kaspersky and got used to having to click on the update button to do update every time I booted up,  it never seemed to do it automatically.