Remote Deployment to client workstations from Eset Azure vm not working

I would really like your help with one of my Azure virtual machines, specifically with Eset Remote Administrator vm in the Marketplace. 

We recently purchased licenses for this product and because we want it to be centralized and slowly add all our offices on it (without AD) things aren't working well with this product. 

I have resorted to manually installing the agent on clients but yet they don't show up on the web console even if they activated and virus signatures updated. All the types of remote install to the clients never works either, so what is the point of continuing with this product? Even Eset on the vm is showing an error that 'operating system not up to date' even though all Windows updates have been done.

If you can help or  please let me know to see if there is something I missing to find a solution to this.

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to check AGENT logs, especially status.html (see related documentation) which should show reason why AGENT is not connecting to ERA Server. There are multiple possibilities, including network configuration, certificate problems or maybe even wrong hostname used to install AGENTs.

6 hours ago, bbahes said:

Hi I had a feeling maybe I need ports open for ERA on my Cisco firewall which is in front of my network but I also tried to add a pc from home (no 3rd party firewall) and yes it shows in license administrator and not in ERA (not in lost and found, or rogue detections. 

You sure I have to open ports on Azure as I purchased Eset ERA from the marketplace, shouldn't ports and settings be automatically open and working?

4 hours ago, MartinK said:

I would recommend to check AGENT logs, especially status.html (see related documentation) which should show reason why AGENT is not connecting to ERA Server. There are multiple possibilities, including network configuration, certificate problems or maybe even wrong hostname used to install AGENTs.

Hi MartinK I have checked the path in the link and there is no file EraAgentApplicationData on the client. Where else would logs be?

• ESET Staff

You mentioned that you installed agent on client machines manually and that it is activated and updated -> are you sure both "ESET Remote Administrator Agent" and "ESET Endpoint Security/Antivirus" are installed on this client machine? They have separate installers in case they were not installed using all-in-one installer.

Hi Martin 

sinmachines I did the all in one installer and this home client machine both the agent and Eset endpoint standard. I have found logs. 

Unable to resolve any endpoints (0x2af9) No such host is known. 

CReplicationManager connection to host esetagc port 2222 failed 

Looks like it is a port and dns issue? 

• ESET Staff

When you were creating all-in-one installer (or any other, including remote deplyment task), it was possible to specific hostname of ERA Server where AGENT will be connecting. I think that pre-defined hostname "esetagc" is name of your appliance, but AGENT has to connect to external hostname, i.e. hostname of ERA Server available from internet.

16 minutes ago, MartinK said:

When you were creating all-in-one installer (or any other, including remote deplyment task), it was possible to specific hostname of ERA Server where AGENT will be connecting. I think that pre-defined hostname "esetagc" is name of your appliance, but AGENT has to connect to external hostname, i.e. hostname of ERA Server available from internet.

Hi Martink

Can you advise me quickly with regards to the procedures to add a client from an Azure ERA vm?

Do you first add the client by computername in the Parent All group and then create a package the live installer (yes in the servername esetgc) and then on the computer install both the ERA agent and the endpoint standard installer and when you add the licenses key to activate and update DB that computer should go online in ERA?

With the all in one installer i download it and I add it where to the 'software install on server tasks'? How will the computer in my network see the Azure ERA vm to deploy the software, am i missing something? All documentation shows how to deploy within your domain and not much from an Azure vm outside and not in a domain.

Your help is much appreciated Martin.

10 hours ago, CLaz said:

Hi I had a feeling maybe I need ports open for ERA on my Cisco firewall which is in front of my network but I also tried to add a pc from home (no 3rd party firewall) and yes it shows in license administrator and not in ERA (not in lost and found, or rogue detections. 

You sure I have to open ports on Azure as I purchased Eset ERA from the marketplace, shouldn't ports and settings be automatically open and working?

Not sure since I haven't used Azure yet. But from what you say I think it's network related.