Help for removing ask search toolbar

georgebush

Ask search toolbar takes over my chrome homepage somehow. I did not install anything recently, but i saw ask Search toolbar is listed in my laptop program center. it is difficult to get rid of it, i also ask this for help, someone give me a removal guide link, here  But it requires to download sth, so can someone know whether it is reliable? , and my OS is windows 7, Please help!

• Administrators

Basically it should be enough to uninstall a potentially unwanted application via the Control panel -> Programs and features / Add or remove programs.

If traditional methods cause an error, similar to uninstaller cannot be ran, found, or is corrupted and the process gets rolled back.

Post back here and ill assist, which would be out of scope for traditional antivirus and more of a pc maintainance issue.

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome - the ESET Team should assist in this removal, cleaning process.

I see no reason why users warrant an exchange of private messages. Let's keep this on the Forum.

The Ask Toolbar cannot be removed by conventional methods.

The ESET Team would have to assist you in doing this. 

Thanks for the link Siljaline !

You're welcome - the ESET Team should assist in this removal, cleaning process.

I see no reason why users warrant an exchange of private messages. Let's keep this on the Forum.

The Ask Toolbar cannot be removed by conventional methods.

The ESET Team would have to assist you in doing this. 

Thanks for the link Siljaline !

Yes-keep it on the forum-that way we can all learn. B)

Please use this tool AdwCleaner

AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer.  By using AdwCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.

The types of programs that AdwCleaner targets are typically bundled with free programs that you download from the web.  In many cases when you download and install a program, the install will state that these programs will be installed along with the program you downloaded.  Unless you perform a Custom install, these unwanted programs will automatically be installed on your computer leaving you with extra browser toolbars, adware, and other unwanted programs.  AdwCleaner is designed to search for and remove these types of programs.

Just to chime in here , i would have nothing against posting cleaning steps and results in the forum here.

I'm all about teaching and learning, and no better place then the hands on, experienced, results from live scenarios.

Also, this to me, falls outside of the traditional scope of what these forums are intended for, +/- a few topics and things relevant to products by ESET.

Issues with ESET products, virus cleaning, general questions, general ESET support are among a few i could name. If ESET removes and cleans ASK Toolbar, it would already be off this customers system.

It is my belief that ESET blocks PUPs and prevents them from being installed, and it also has a few main ones that it will clean up and repair ( I Think ). However this certain scenario with ASK, i am not sure if the products fully remove the deep residual keys and files stored in the system. ( maybe it should ? :) )

The main point i wanted to state is, if you have to clean things that are this impacting to a system, it takes a lot of steps, and a lot of registry analyzing. It also has to be done right, and cleanup has to be spot on.

Something this detailed and impacting would have possibilities of users having different registry keys altered, different versions of ASK toolbar, major system damage could occur if the registry is broken or keys and hives are not altered correctly. It would not be something i would want to bare on my shoulders publicly if peoples systems began to stop booting or corrupted because they did not follow a step correctly etc.

I am not sure about the above posted program, but its another program to install on your system, when Ask can be manually cleaned up with 0/no programs.

- I do trust BleepingComputer 100% Their programs are usually very helpful and accurate.

Does this program come with a help or howto within the package? I may take a look at it, for curiosity reasons.

It still could be done manually, without more software.

I could post steps for removal on 1 isolated version of windows, with the 1 isolated ASK toolbar version, with the system in 1 specified state, and that it should not be attempted on your own machine but merely used as a guideline. However it would and should not be used as a "Do exactly like this to fix" Everyone's computer is different. I need a live system corrupted by ASK though.

Edited by Arakasi

That Program looks fairly decent though, with the registry section and keys to check , that you would like to keep or not keep....

This also looks that you should only use if you are an experienced PC tech with intermediate or above registry knowledge.

I may try it out on a clients computer Monday and give my review. Thanks for helping Siljaline.