AV-Comparatives: Malware Removal Test 2016

Super_Spartan

I can't believe Microsoft got higher points than Eset. Microsoft just game 1 point short of the Advanced+ certification. 

I can't believe Microsoft got higher points than Eset. Microsoft just game 1 point short of the Advanced+ certification. 

They are all in the same level though wihch is 2 stars. Don't forget that ESET has a lot of other components that prevent infection in the first place such as PUP detections and HTTP scanning that blocks any malicious connections so the chances of being infected are much better than the  competition. In all the 12+ years I've been using NOD32, I never got infected and got 0 false positives.

They are all in the same level though wihch is 2 stars. Don't forget that ESET has a lot of other components that prevent infection in the first place such as PUP detections and HTTP scanning that blocks any malicious connections so the chances of being infected are much better than the  competition. In all the 12+ years I've been using NOD32, I never got infected and got 0 false positives.

I understand. I've been an Eset user for over 10 years and just yesterday I renew my family's license to 2 more years. No complains on our side. 

I just got surprised (pleased tbh) that Microsoft is finally upping its game. If Windows gets safer as a whole, we all benefit from it (less chance of propagation). And I'm a Windows guy.

I understand. I've been an Eset user for over 10 years and just yesterday I renew my family's license to 2 more years. No complains on our side. 

I just got surprised (pleased tbh) that Microsoft is finally upping its game. If Windows gets safer as a whole, we all benefit from it (less chance of propagation). And I'm a Windows guy.

Windows Defender has been greatly improved since the old days, you can now enable PUP detection in it too:

Enable PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) Detection in Windows Defender

While Windows Defender file detection rates have gone up from 0 out of 6 in AV-Test to a respectable 4.5/6, you can further enhance its security by enabling PUP detection. While this feature is currently available to Windows 10 Enterprise users out of the box, you can still enable it on your Windows 10 Home or Pro installation and it works just fine.

If you prefer not to do this manually through regedit, then I have created a regfile that enables PUP Detection in Windows Defender. Simply double click on the file to import it into the Windows registry then reboot your computer.

Enable Windows Defender PUP Detection

Example of a PUP detection caught while trying to install Shark 007 Codecs. While Windows Defender doesn't go all the way of actually blocking the installer of the PUPs like NOD32 does, at least it detected the PUP so one would take extra care not to blindly hit the NEXT button and install everything but rather, carefully read what you are installing, after that I simply canceled out the bundled search garbage that it was trying to install and proceeded with the installation normally albeit without the PUPs:

post-1272-0-40544600-1476892785_thumb.png

I don't use it because it's much heavier than NOD32 on my system, I can immediately feel the difference even with something as simple as opening a folder that contains a lot of images or folders with custom icons. Second long time issue is if I am using my VPN and it tries to update, the update would fail for some odd reason and then WD would be disabled until I restart.

I have been a user of ESET products for ten years, and has been sad to see how has dropped the product from the release of version 9, it is worrying as in most comparative antivirus products free license are above in scores.

And instead of trying to correct this decline, assume second place, when once they were always in the pit. Pathetic.

I have been a user of ESET products for ten years, and has been sad to see how has dropped the product from the release of version 9, it is worrying as in most comparative antivirus products free license are above in scores.

And instead of trying to correct this decline, assume second place, when once they were always in the pit. Pathetic.

You should calm down a little bit. Eset is still one of the best AVs and nothing has changed since version 9. Also, I suggest you to take these tests with a grain of salt. In fact, Eset is pretty good when it comes to removing of threats. You can type in Youtube "Eset removal test" and watch few videos