ESET Apache HTTP Proxy slow download speed

Recently, we deployed ESET ERA Virtual Appliance 6.3 to replace previous ESET ERA 4 for Windows. For virus signature update, we found that there was poor performance on ERA 4 build-in web server (only  200KBps on Intranet). The problem had been solved after we changed to IIS for mirror update.

As we know mirror update is obsoleted since ERA 6 and we need to use Apache HTTP proxy. According to our test, the performance of Apache HTTP proxy on Virtual Appliance is as poor as previous ERA 4 build-in one. For new installed client, initial signature update is around 40MB and need near 4 minutes to complete. In previous ERA 4 with IIS, it only needs no more than 10 seconds. Any advise?

We try to put one ISO file in the htdocs of Apache HTTP proxy and download from client, the speed is as fast as LAN speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same bad performance on my network also. 

I installed ERA 6.3 with the Apache HTTP Proxy on a Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine.

I'm a bit disapointed by the performance of the Proxy.   From what I have seen it looks like it give only a 500kb/s speed to the clients ... 

On my old ERA 5 server, using the bulit-in mirror it was giving way faster updates.

I really like the new ERA 6.x but the only downside is the poor proxy performance.

Is there any settings we can change on the appache proxy to resolve this ? 

Thank you ! 

• ESET Staff

Could you please verify that files are actually server from cache and not downloaded from ESET download servers? This may happen especially for initially downloaded files due to their low max cache time. Nano updates should not be affected as they are updated few times a day.

Could you please verify that files are actually server from cache and not downloaded from ESET download servers? This may happen especially for initially downloaded files due to their low max cache time. Nano updates should not be affected as they are updated few times a day.

Yes absolutely. 

I even verified with a packet sniffer, each time the eset antivirus ask for an update it goes trough the ip of the proxy server...

• ESET Staff

Yes absolutely. 

I even verified with a packet sniffer, each time the eset antivirus ask for an update it goes trough the ip of the proxy server...

Even if client updates itself using proxy, it does not mean it is server cached file, and instead it may be downloaded from ESET servers -> in packet sniffer it would looks like HTTP Proxy is downloading this file. I would suggest you to measure traffic LAN<->Proxy and Proxy<->ESET. In case there will be extensive traffic to internet, slowdown may be caused by your connection to internet.

Even if client updates itself using proxy, it does not mean it is server cached file, and instead it may be downloaded from ESET servers -> in packet sniffer it would looks like HTTP Proxy is downloading this file. I would suggest you to measure traffic LAN<->Proxy and Proxy<->ESET. In case there will be extensive traffic to internet, slowdown may be caused by your connection to internet.

You are right, I found out that it's looking at the proxy server but in fact the proxy server is downloading it from eset servers ...  Why is it doing so ? 

I have multiple client downloading the same updates, why is not cached ?     

It seems to affect mostly my old clients Endpoint 5.0.2237 (still in the process of upgrading to v6). 

We have a 300mbps internet connection wich is fast with every internet service we use and should not be a problem, but I have noticed that every download I make from eset server (even like downloading a package directly from your website) never downloads any faster than 500-600 kb/s while downloading from every other website will run higher than 10 mb/s. 

So why are some update are not cached from the server ?  and do you guys throttle downloads speed ? 

Thank you

Edited by cssinfo

• ESET Staff

You are right, I found out that it's looking at the proxy server but in fact the proxy server is downloading it from eset servers ...  Why is it doing so ? 

It seems to affect mostly my old clients Endpoint 5.0.2237 (still in the process of upgrading to v6). 

We have a 300mbps internet connection wich is fast with every internet service we use and should not be a problem, but I have noticed that every download I make from eset server (even like downloading a package directly from your website) never downloads any faster than 500-600 kb/s while downloading from every other website will run higher than 10 mb/s. 

So why are some update are not cached from the server ?  and do you guys throttle downloads speed ? 

Thank you

Unfortunately caching won't work for older clients (older than v6). There is also issue with v6 that will be fixed soon - but it should not have high impact on traffic.

Regarding slow download from ESET servers -> I guess they are either limited or overloaded, as there many clients updating.

Thank you

Unfortunately caching won't work for older clients (older than v6). There is also issue with v6 that will be fixed soon - but it should not have high impact on traffic.

Well that explains a lot !