Eset not at full capacity.

MelloPuff

Been with Eset for over 6 years. Last year I had to reinstall eset. I did this through eset themselves. Eset sent my the link to download the programme and all was well. About 2 months into using eset I got a virus. Unable to use my desktop computer so used my laptop and downloaded the same link from eset. As I had anti virus I thought ok, not sure whats going on here. 

So using my laptop today, something weird happened. Ran a scan with my paid version and it found nothing. So I rang the online free scanner and 46% of the way through it found 4 viruses.

I rang eset and told them what happened as to why a free version is finding virus and not the paid version. Walking me through a few things, then asks me what version I was using.

I said version 1.....he goes, .... thats not right we are on version 9.

Yeah I still have the email and the link.

Now I'm stuck with a infected computer, managed to save this one, but the other has to go to a technician. Eset sent me the proper download link and I now have version 9. But I can't get onto my infected computer.

Version I had was 1.0.0.6421

Now I did tell eset that I thought it came from my isp provider who has added eset with my broadband package. So yes, had this over 6 years. The the link I got from est was on july 2015.

Have to ring them when they open and ask that they pay for removal of the virus and send them a reply email so they can see the link that was sent to me from eset.

Not impressed. :angry:

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

That is most probably a misunderstanding with the version number. Version 1.x has not been available to download from our website for more than 10 years (it was discontinued in 2005, it was way too old already back then). I think you would not even be able to install it on today's operating systems.

Anyway, malware removal should be free of charge for any ESET customer with a valid license.

• ESET Staff

Hi @MelloPuff,

Your case seems to be one of those of users with old versions who only

change the credentials when renewal and always keep the version they

have installed, never upgraded to nowadays version.

Added to that, old versions doesn't have the new detection systems like

"ESET Live Grid" (which many users not turn On because some weird

misunderstanding when read the about it), and those old versions

can't catch new viruses.

Also, if happens your old version is not able to detect the "unwanted

applications" which ESET Online Scanner can, you will see some

red flags.

Which lead me to clarify the definition of "virus" you mention. Those

red things detected by ESET Online Scanner can be Adware not

actually deadly virus (nowadays is called "malware", and subcategory's).

Furthermore, if you download version 1, perhaps you not in contact

with real ESET servers so, perhaps you are downloading from a local

vendor who still have that installer available.

As my Country distributor says, "when you download from our links is

always the latest version".

Can you provide us with the link you mention for version 1?

Yes, trying to do prntscn, but the prntscn feature wont work. Need to highlight esets email address to show that eset sent me the email hang on.

esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe

hxxp://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe

well it wont let me upload images from the email I got from eset. Unless mods give me an email address so I can just forward the email to them.

Edited by MelloPuff

• ESET Staff

@MelloPuff,

1.0.0.6421 is the version of the "ESET Online Scanner" not actual product

installed in your PC. :)

To check what you have installed just put the pointer of the mouse on

the icon near the clock on the right-down corner of the screen.

Let us know what say there.

Those 2 links are the ESET Smart Installer, is an application

who downloads and install the latest version of the software.

If you running now they install the version 9.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

Got the latest install now. Got an email from Eset who gave me the latest version. There were 2 I dealt with. Matt and Christian. It was Matt who told my to hoover over eset icon, and I  read out what I had, He was confused I had version 1. Sent me the updated link but my provider was having issues with their email and account so I had to get it sent to gmail email.

Can't get into my desktop  only my laptop

Thats one email, I have more for downloads, just got to find them. I have quite a few emails with links to eset.

If you need to download the software again, click here  this was for the 32 desktop, that one comes off my ISP providers site with my licence.

Going to send eset all the emails I got for the licence this year. Got their email. Will send the link my isp is providing. 

Edited by MelloPuff

• ESET Staff

Hi,

The link is correct, is the never-changed link for that product and you always download the

latest one.

I started to get a bit lost on topic, can you please remind me what is the problem. 

1. Your Desktop computer got infected and you send to the technician for repairs, right?
  2. You have your Laptop with ESET NOD32 Antivirus v9 working ok, right?

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

I started to get a bit lost on topic, can you please remind me what is the problem.

Make that two. I also wonder if they indeed are "4 viruses" and not pup/pua detectons of some kind, if that option was checked before the online scanner was runned.

I don't know what to say or suggest as a next step because it's quite confusing, but I hope we will understand each other soon enough. :)

• Administrators

So using my laptop today, something weird happened. Ran a scan with my paid version and it found nothing. So I rang the online free scanner and 46% of the way through it found 4 viruses.

Maybe they were not "viruses" but some kind of not malicious applications, such as potentially unwanted or unsafe application which you had previously disabled as both are optional detections.

I said version 1.....he goes, .... thats not right we are on version 9.

It's very unlikely that you had version 1 installed. That was the one with AMON's beating heart and a stand-alone POP3 scanner proxy from more than 15 years ago for which we stopped updates about the year 2004 if I recall correctly.

Now I'm stuck with a infected computer, managed to save this one, but the other has to go to a technician. Eset sent me the proper download link and I now have version 9. But I can't get onto my infected computer.

How do you know that your computer is infected? What exactly was detected by the ESET Online Scanner? It's not clear to me what you mean by that you "cannot get onto the infected computer".