Cant activate Endpoint via ERA in local Network with configured Proxy

Hey,

i have problems with activating Endpoint Software (Windows 7 x64) - I configured the correct IP in the Agent Policy + Proxy Settings in Endpoint Policy ( 172.16.20.250 Port 3128 ) - If i click on "update" on one of my clients it connects to my proxy and is able to check if there is a newer version. i can also send reboot or "smart scan task" to the clients but i cant activate them. - im getting "eset error code ecp 4099" - i know its something with my connection through the proxy because my clients arent directly connected to the internet.

the ERA Software is running under VMWare Workstation with deactivated Firewall.

does anybody know what i could check? errorlog isnt showing any real error....funny thing is, sometimes it is able to activate some pc's....i have no idea what to do.

• ESET Staff

Hi @schuetzdentalCB,

You're right, is communication issue, try this kb, hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2434/

Checking if your network have access to activation servers to the listed ports.

When you install the Endpoints you add the license to the task?

• ESET Staff

What I would recommend, is to try to access https://edf.eset.com/edffrom a web-browser on a computer, which can not activate.

If it fails, then there is a proxy / communication issue

It might be also related to not updated root certification authorities on the systems.

Edited by MichalJ

I was able to activate some of my local Clients. - I forgot to add the proxy policy :( - not not all of them are able to activate. but they all grabbed my new policys. any ideas ? :)

Edited by schuetzdentalCB

• ESET Staff

Can you please send me your Public License ID via a private message? We had some issues with our activation servers, so we will try to check, whether failed activation attempts have reached our servers.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Agustín, i have the same problem here, cant activate from Windows 7 x86 and x64. I chek proxy setings, computers reach ok to https://edf.eset.com/edf
Some computers (with Windows 7) were activated well in the past , about 2 months ago.
Thx!

• ESET Staff

Hi, my name is Agustín, i have the same problem here, cant activate from Windows 7 x86 and x64. I chek proxy setings, computers reach ok to https://edf.eset.com/edf

Some computers (with Windows 7) were activated well in the past , about 2 months ago.

Thx!

Could you try to activate it directly (not using ERA)? It may give more failure details, especially error code. Once failure details are known, you may check KB2434 for most common activation failures and possible solutions.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Gonzalo and Martin , thanks for your answers and sorry for the delay.

Yes, I did activation task alone or with the installation of the Endpoint , fault equal .

If I try to activate directly with the serial number, error codes 4099 and 20003.

I was doing some testing with the Era proxy. In my network there is another proxy (Squid), computers automatically detect it in their browsers and requires authentication, If I manually configure the ERA proxy in browsers, computers running Windows 7 are OK activated by task and manually.

If I set Era proxy to use authentication , the activation fails.

I think the problem is the proxy authentication in Windows XP and 7 , but not in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 where the activation is always successful.

Thanks and regards.
Edited by garufa7x

• ESET Staff

Could you please specify what kind of authentication (NTLM? GSSAPI?) are you using on HTTP proxy? In case Windows computers in domain are using single-sign-one using their domain credentials, it will be most probably authentication method that is not supported by activation client used in ERA/EES products.

No Active Directory or domain controller, only workgroups. The authentication method is GSSAPI I think. Thx!

Edited by garufa7x