Info about eset smart security ?

I buy new pc 2016/ddr3 4gb windows 7 ultimate 32 biti

I test eset smart security 8 trial 30 days and firewall have 0 protection against hackers or ddos attacks

I play dota 1 and someone attacks my internet and eset firewall detect 0 block 0 my internet shut down

I want to know if ESET Smart Security 9 have protection against ddos attack when someone attacks to shut down your internet

We are 2016 and flood is nr 1 most dangerous dos attacks,ddos attacks etc

We need a firewall to automatically detect attacks and to block this hackers

I am waiting for an answer

Hi V3.Firewall,

Interesting thing you post.

Some questions arise...

You are using a Router? or connects directly to Internet (dial-up?)?

Routers nowadays include firewall so may I ask if you have configured?

Hi man Gonzalo Alvarez

Yes i buy this router TL-WR841N and have firewall  against flood

Screen Router Firewall

hxxp://i67.tinypic.com/555ly0.jpg

but eset smart security  does not have protection against ddos attack ?

Edited by V3.Firewall

Open up Eset's advanced settings -> Network -> Personal Firewall -> IDS and advanced options -> Packet Inspection. Then ensure "TCP protocol overload detection" is checked marked as shown below. Then re-test.

post-6784-0-26040700-1457793652_thumb.png

Edited by itman

Open up Eset's advanced settings -> Network -> Personal Firewall -> IDS and advanced options -> Packet Inspection. Then ensure "TCP protocol overload detection" is checked marked as shown below. Then re-test.

attachicon.gifEset_DDOS.png

ok thanks I'll try and come back with an answer

I check your settings and yes is online but 0 protection

The only way to protect my internet It was to buy this router

TL-WR841N and have firewall online protect against hackers or ddos attacks

Second protection I buy this Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 protect against hackers or ddos attacks

I check google new firewall is name  Anti DDoS Guardian 3.4
secure against Stop SYN flood, TCP flood, UDP flood, ICMP flood, bandwidth attacks etc

eset smart security 8 and 9 the firewall is to weak against this attack and 0 detect and  0 block sorry You must work seriously with this firewall

We are 2016 and flood is nr 1 most dangerous

Edited by V3.Firewall

"I play dota 1 and someone attacks my internet and eset firewall detect 0 block 0 my internet shut down"

Is that a fact (it happened) or only an example of what you are afraid of could happen ? If yes, how do you know that it was an attack from "someone" against you ?

IMO. You don't need to worry much about these types of attacks against your network, they are usually directed against websites, services, isp's and organization, not individual users. If large corporations can't protect their networks with enterprise-grade hardware (that cost loads of $$$) to stop or re-direct the traffic in a good way to keep their services going, how do you think a simple consumer router with "protection against X, Y and Z" will be able to handle that amount of traffic if a serious attack would be directed at you ?

As an individual you are much more likely to encounter malware and/or privacy issues - than getting hit with a network attack. Your ISP can get attacked so it can indirectly affect you and your internet connectivity for a short or long time, depending on how big the attack is and how well the ISP can stop or re-direct the traffic, but it is not aimed at you personally. My ISP was target for a huge ddos attack last year, they were quite good at re-directing the traffic - but it still affected internet connectivity for some customers plus the IP-TV service for those that had that too, but there's nothing you as a customer can do about that.

post-320-0-68085500-1457873253_thumb.jpg

My router has these settings, and it can surely help against this or that, but I am not going to get seriously attacked since I am not a target - if I were to be attacked for some reason, I would most likely not stand a chance anyway.

If I were you, then I would stop reading & comparing fancy words in product descriptions to stop scaring up myself for no good reason.

But you are of course free to buy whatever you want if it makes you feel any better. Just don't buy what they used to "protect" the Central Bank of Bangladesh. It failed big time.

We have had this firewall/attack discussion before and the situation has not changed since the last time: https://forum.eset.com/topic/6009-eset-smart-security-8windows-xp-sp3

(Well, the above thread turned into a discussion about some "King", though it seems like the old King (XP) has been replaced with a new King (Win 7) according to post 1 in this thread.)

P.S
Outpost is no more, and their customers have been offered licenses for another product.
Edited by SweX

"I play dota 1 and someone attacks my internet and eset firewall detect 0 block 0 my internet shut down"

Is that a fact (it happened) or only an example of what you are afraid of could happen ? If yes, how do you know that it was an attack from "someone" against you ?

IMO. You don't need to worry much about these types of attacks against your network, they are usually directed against websites, services, isp's and organization, not individual users. If large corporations can't protect their networks with enterprise-grade hardware (that cost loads of $$$) to stop or re-direct the traffic in a good way to keep their services going, how do you think a simple consumer router with "protection against X, Y and Z" will be able to handle that amount of traffic if a serious attack would be directed at you ?

As an individual you are much more likely to encounter malware and/or privacy issues - than getting hit with a network attack. Your ISP can get attacked so it can indirectly affect you and your internet connectivity for a short or long time, depending on how big the attack is and how well the ISP can stop or re-direct the traffic, but it is not aimed at you personally. My ISP was target for a huge ddos attack last year, they were quite good at re-directing the traffic - but it still affected internet connectivity for some customers plus the IP-TV service for those that had that too, but there's nothing you as a customer can do about that.

attachicon.giffw.JPG

My router has these settings, and it can surely help against this or that, but I am not going to get seriously attacked since I am not a target - if I were to be attacked for some reason, I would most likely not stand a chance anyway.

If I were you, then I would stop reading & comparing fancy words in product descriptions to stop scaring up myself for no good reason.

But you are of course free to buy whatever you want if it makes you feel any better. Just don't buy what they used to "protect" the Central Bank of Bangladesh. It failed big time.

We have had this firewall/attack discussion before and the situation has not changed since the last time: https://forum.eset.com/topic/6009-eset-smart-security-8windows-xp-sp3

(Well, the above thread turned into a discussion about some "King", though it seems like the old King (XP) has been replaced with a new King (Win 7) according to post 1 in this thread.)

P.S
Outpost is no more, and their customers have been offered licenses for another product.

thanks for info but when i play dota 1 and i win some noob shut down my internet

I have server muonline free with website where players come to play,and port 80/44405/55901 is open for players can access the page and the server

now my server is shut down because the strong attack ddos I hate hacker

now I buy this router [tp link wr841n and this Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3] to protect my internet

the problem is eset smart security why have firewall ? if it does not protect your internet ?,when someone attacks you ? I hate hacker I hate noobs I hate kids play with hack

but it seems that nothing has changed with eset smart security 8 or 9 same weak firewall It's so sad
Edited by V3.Firewall

• ESET Staff

Hi,

You have your own answer, you are not a normal user.

Sorry to say it but you will be a target of the "scriptkeedies" if you offer services.

Based on that, your security and hardware have to be above the normal ones.

So, don't use a Home product, move to Business one, Endpoint Security.

I know is hard to assimilate but don't get -off, just assume as a "normal" thing

when happen you been targeted and have a 2 step procedure to back to your

normal ways on the internet.

Hi,

You have your own answer, you are not a normal user.

Sorry to say it but you will be a target of the "scriptkeedies" if you offer services.

Based on that, your security and hardware have to be above the normal ones.

So, don't use a Home product, move to Business one, Endpoint Security.

I know is hard to assimilate but don't get ######-off, just assume as a "normal" thing

when happen you been targeted and have a 2 step procedure to back to your

normal ways on the internet.

thanks for info but to buy dedicated server with strong security It costs a lot of money

Second protection I buy this Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 protect against hackers or ddos attacks

secure against Stop SYN flood, TCP flood, UDP flood, ICMP flood, bandwidth attacks etc

eset smart security 8 and 9 the firewall is to weak against this attack and 0 detect and  0 block sorry You must work seriously with this firewall

If someone is launching a full scale DDoS attack against you, simply shutdown your network by selecting "Block Network" from the Eset lower toolbar icon as shown below:

post-6784-0-28088800-1457964920_thumb.png

Eset has its "warts and all" but the retail firewall is not one of them. It is one of the few that has full IDS protection - Comodo's firewall doesn't have like protection.

As far as the Google firewall settings you noted, the IDS and packet inspection configured as noted below equate to those:

post-6784-0-54378000-1457965852_thumb.png

Edited by itman

If someone is launching a full scale DDoS attack against you, simply shutdown your network by selecting "Block Network" from the Eset lower toolbar icon as shown below:

attachicon.gifEset_Block_Network.png

Eset has its "warts and all" but the retail firewall is not one of them. It is one of the few that has full IDS protection - Comodo's firewall doesn't have like protection.

As far as the Google firewall settings you noted, the IDS and packet inspection configured as noted below equate to those:

attachicon.gifEset_IDS_Packet_Settings.png

thanks again for help but if you have server online and you shut down your network,players no longer play

Now I secure my network with 2 firewall [router tp link wr841n and Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall 9.3]

Maybe to buy a third firewall Anti DDoS Guardian 3.4 who knows anyway I spoke with the company to make this firewall stronger and stop big attacks not only small and medium attacks

Maybe ESET Smart Security Company try to copy security has Anti DDoS Guardian 3.4 and add firewall eset smart security to detect flood attacks etc would be great

Edited by V3.Firewall

Now I secure my network with 2 firewall [router tp link wr841n and Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall 9.3]

I assume you know that Outpost is no longer a supported product since Agnitum was purchased by Sophos?

I assume you know that Outpost is no longer a supported product since Agnitum was purchased by Sophos?

It was Yandex that acquired Agnitum - the maker of the Outpost products.

Sophos acquired SurfRight - the maker of the HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert products.

But I am sure you just mixed them up ;)

It was Yandex that acquired Agnitum - the maker of the Outpost products.

Sophos acquired SurfRight - the maker of the HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert products.

But I am sure you just mixed them up ;)

Yep. To many software vendor acquisitions these days ....................

Edited by itman

Of course I know:

Agnitum will provide antivirus base updates, bug fixing and technical support until December 31, 2016.

Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 will never die the same with Windows XP It will still be used even if you do not receive updates
Edited by V3.Firewall

Of course I know:

Agnitum will provide antivirus base updates, bug fixing and technical support until December 31, 2016.

Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 will never die the same with Windows XP It will still be used even if you do not receive updates

But since you now run Win 7....

"I buy new pc 2016/ddr3 4gb windows 7 ultimate 32 biti"

....there's no need to bother with XP and softwares that will soon be discontinued.

Of course I know:

But since you now run Win 7....

"I buy new pc 2016/ddr3 4gb windows 7 ultimate 32 biti"

....there's no need to bother with XP and softwares that will soon be discontinued.

who told you that ? :)) windows xp sp3 will never die are still many who use it,yes i have new pc buy from 2016 ddr3 4gb and have windows 7 ultimate but I buy after 11 years this new pc

there are many who have no money to buy a new pc,because of that remain to Windows XP

Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall 9.3 never die even if you do not receive updates,this firewall is one of the best on the market why ? It is easy to configure and automatically detects flood and block for 60 minutes

Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall 9.3 have 3 levels of protection:

1.Low Security 2.Optimal Security 3.Maximum Security

I test ESET Smart Security trial 8 and 9 and firewall have 0 protection against hackers,if a hacker will attack your network firewall smart security It will not help at all,why put a firewall if you do not defend your network ?

Edited by V3.Firewall

• ESET Staff

I think you are missing some point here.

Everything we named on the past for a particular X thing is nowadays more than that

specific function.

You are mention 1 functionality and 2 protections (not going to discuss that), but

ESET Firewall has the function to control and analyze network traffic and if its

suspicious or bad block it (from inside to out or viceversa).

@V3.Firewall

You do as you like. I have nothing more to add. ESS and its firewall will protect the computer it is installed nicely. If you want to protect your whole network to which you connect your computer that you have ESS installed on + other computers and/or mobile devices. Then you might better try to do that in your hardware e.g router, hardware firewall...etc etc that all internet traffic runs through. Perhaps you should invest in a UTM solution or similar, even if they are not much of a firewall specifically. But that is OT for this thread. I think you should just settle down and use ESS and try to stop worry so much about what could happen or not. And instead think about if it is realistic or not.

Again, I doubt a hacker will try to hack you because you are not of any interest for them. They hack into stuff where they can get their hands on valuable databases, documents, files, confidential and secret stuff basically. And I don't think you sit on any information of that sort.

Edited by SweX

I think you are missing some point here.

Everything we named on the past for a particular X thing is nowadays more than that

specific function.

You are mention 1 functionality and 2 protections (not going to discuss that), but

ESET Firewall has the function to control and analyze network traffic and if its

suspicious or bad block it (from inside to out or viceversa).

@V3.Firewall

You do as you like. I have nothing more to add. ESS and its firewall will protect the computer it is installed nicely. If you want to protect your whole network to which you connect your computer that you have ESS installed on + other computers and/or mobile devices. Then you might better try to do that in your hardware e.g router, hardware firewall...etc etc that all internet traffic runs through. Perhaps you should invest in a UTM solution or similar, even if they are not much of a firewall specifically. But that is OT for this thread. I think you should just settle down and use ESS and try to stop worry so much about what could happen or not. And instead think about if it is realistic or not.

Again, I doubt a hacker will try to hack you because you are not of any interest for them. They hack into stuff where they can get their hands on valuable databases, documents, files, confidential and secret stuff basically. And I don't think you sit on any information of that sort.

Thanks for replay let's begin:

ESET Smart Security trial 8 and 9 have 0 protection against hacker or strong ddos attack

I have [server Games MuOnline/Free of course] test ESET Smart Security 9 trial

Very soon I am going to open a second server Cstrike 1.6 Online

ESET Smart Security 9 secure my network good,only 3 port is open

The player can have access page and the server:

Some noob,hacker,kid whatever you want to say attack my network with ddos,It was so strong my pc blocked

and [ESET Smart Security 9 trial 0 detect and 0 block] the firewall is to weak against this attack

The company must work seriously with this firewall to have have a very strong protection against ddos attack

A lot company add firewall with antivirus but have 0 protection same with [windows firewall] I do not understand why they did not take action and creat a strong firewall against hacker and ddos attack

In my experience: the firewall need to have strong protection against hacker and ddos attack when they try to attack your network but the firewall must be easily configured and It can automatically detect the attack and block it

DDoS attack has become very strong with each new years and many companies do not take action at all

Yes you can buy dedicated server with strong protection but cost a lot of money

I temporarily secure my network with 2 firewall to stop this ddos attack:

1:I buy a router TL-WR841N with firewall detect and stop flood

2:I buy a Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall 9.3 to secure my network against flood

3:Anti DDoS Guardian 3.4 I think about if I buy or not

4:ESET Smart Security trial 8 and 9 It did not help at all

Hope ESET Smart Security Version:10/11/12/13 etc will make serious improvements to the firewall

Edited by V3.Firewall

A couple of questions on this.

When you created an Eset firewall rule for your game app, did you only allow outbound connections to those ports?

Did you verify that the Eset firewall was installed properly? When installed properly, Eset disables the front-end components of the Win firewall but leaves enabled the Windows Filtering Platform components. This can be verified by accessing the Win firewall settings via Control Panel and verifying that the settings screen displayed looks similar to the screen shown below. That is, it is shown Eset is managing the Win firewall settings:

post-6784-0-17848400-1459262692_thumb.png

-EDIT- Also, Eset IDS has no UDP flood protection. So, if your DDoS attack was UDP based, you have a valid complaint.

Edited by itman

A couple of questions on this.

When you created an Eset firewall rule for your game app, did you only allow outbound connections to those ports?

Did you verify that the Eset firewall was installed properly? When installed properly, Eset disables the front-end components of the Win firewall but leaves enabled the Windows Filtering Platform components. This can be verified by accessing the Win firewall settings via Control Panel and verifying that the settings screen displayed looks similar to the screen shown below. That is, it is shown Eset is managing the Win firewall settings:

attachicon.gifWin_Firewall_Managed.png

-EDIT- Also, Eset IDS has no UDP flood protection. So, if your DDoS attack was UDP based, you have a valid complaint.

You have ever received strong attack ddos ? I do not believe

You checked the firewall settings ? It does not offer protection against flood

Now if someone wants to attack your network your ESET Smart Security 9 will give you 0 protection