ESET Smart Security 8/Windows Xp SP3

Hi ESET cool also works on Windows XP love you guys :P

consume very little requirements :P

I wanted to ask how good is firewall against hackers and flood attacks ?

I tested ESET Smart Security 6 and it was weak against hackers and flood attacks

My internet It was shut down 3 seconds ,wait info about the new version

ESET should focus on firewall to provide protection against strong flood and ddos attack

And when someone gives you flood the internet will be detected and stopped automatically without you doing anything

Edited by V3.Firewall

I mean ESET Smart security 6,was weak against flood attack and ddos attack

My internet was shut down 3 seconds

I want to know how good  is firewall

ESET Smart Security 8

Edited by V3.Firewall

• Most Valued Members

just because you lost the internet conenction for 3 seconds, doesnt mean that you were flooded or a ddos attack was performed against you.

with every new major version the firewall is upgraded and made even more secure than the last. so as long as you stay updated in both the OS (in your case Win XP is no longer supported and you should consider upgrading to a newer OS), and you keep your AV updated you will be fine.

just because you lost the internet conenction for 3 seconds, doesnt mean that you were flooded or a ddos attack was performed against you.

with every new major version the firewall is upgraded and made even more secure than the last. so as long as you stay updated in both the OS (in your case Win XP is no longer supported and you should consider upgrading to a newer OS), and you keep your AV updated you will be fine.

never gonna change Windows XP SP3,I use it for over 10 years

It is one of the best windows,consume very little resources

Do not think that if you update Windows is protected against flood or ddos attack

You need to have a antivirus and firewall that provides protection against viruses, hackers and flood attack

Unfortunately not much good firewall that provides protection against flood

Well what you said when a new version appear increases the security of the firewall good to know

ESET should focus on firewall to provide protection against strong flood and ddos attack

And when someone gives you flood the internet will be detected and stopped automatically without you doing anything

that's why I opened this topic because use ESET Smart Security 8 for tests

Edited by V3.Firewall

• Most Valued Members

also be warned that eset wont support win xp for a long time, maybe in version 10 or 11 they will drop support.

having an OS without security updates leaves you EXTREMELY vulnerable and a AV won't help much if security holes are discovered by attackers in XP.

you should consider getting a new pc and upgrading to win 8 or 10

also be warned that eset wont support win xp for a long time, maybe in version 10 or 11 they will drop support.

having an OS without security updates leaves you EXTREMELY vulnerable and a AV won't help much if security holes are discovered by attackers in XP.

you should consider getting a new pc and upgrading to win 8 or 10

I do not think so [eset would not provide for xp] this is your opinion

we are in 2015 is still supported Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP SP3

there are many who are still using Windows XP,this windows will never die

not everyone has the money to buy a new pc
Edited by V3.Firewall

• Most Valued Members

you think that the company will support a retired OS forever?

no! 2-3 more versions and they might discontinue it.

think about it. when OS companies (linux, microsoft, apple, etc.) stop supporting their older products, it means that no new features and security updates are released for the retired products, which in turn mean that since no security updates are released, it is left vulnerable to whatever attack may rise in the future.

and if a vulnerability X won't be patched in the OS, the AV company will have to make huge efforts to try and lower the impact on the affected computers. that costs time, money and a lot of work from the developers.

but everyone can start saving money to buy one in the future ;)

you think that the company will support a retired OS forever?

no! 2-3 more versions and they might discontinue it.

think about it. when OS companies (linux, microsoft, apple, etc.) stop supporting their older products, it means that no new features and security updates are released for the retired products, which in turn mean that since no security updates are released, it is left vulnerable to whatever attack may rise in the future.

and if a vulnerability X won't be patched in the OS, the AV company will have to make huge efforts to try and lower the impact on the affected computers. that costs time, money and a lot of work from the developers.

but everyone can start saving money to buy one in the future ;)

again this is your opinion,take the example AVG,Avira,Avast Free or Full,Panda etc

still work on Windows XP As I said this windows will never die

It does not matter if not works update windows

what matters to have a good antivirus and a firewall
Edited by V3.Firewall

• Most Valued Members

(my email to uk support regarding xp. so stop thinking that xp will be supported indefinitely by everyone.)

Subject:  ESET Support
To:  Alexiosg…..
Date:  Friday, September 18, 2015 2:48 PM

Good afternoon

We are currently supporting XP for business until at least April 2017. Please bookmark this article hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3507so that you can refer to it as this may be confirmed for home use. It currently only refers to business products but the dates should apply to home products as well as the software is built on the same platform. ESET 6 and higher have currently no end of life date so these programs will receive definition updates until they reach their end of life. Please see hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678for information regarding to this. Version 5 is still supported until the end of 2015, which is the last version that supported Windows 2000 so you should be ok until 2017.

I hope this information helps

Many thanks

Edited by pavilion_alex

(my email to uk support regarding xp. so stop thinking that xp will be supported indefinitely by everyone.)

Subject:  ESET Support

To:  Alexiosg…..

Date:  Friday, September 18, 2015 2:48 PM

Good afternoon

We are currently supporting XP for business until at least April 2017. Please bookmark this article hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3507so that you can refer to it as this may be confirmed for home use. It currently only refers to business products but the dates should apply to home products as well as the software is built on the same platform. ESET 6 and higher have currently no end of life date so these programs will receive definition updates until they reach their end of life. Please see hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678for information regarding to this. Version 5 is still supported until the end of 2015, which is the last version that supported Windows 2000 so you should be ok until 2017.

I hope this information helps

Many thanks

very sad if it is true what you said but ESET will lose many customers who are still using Windows XP SP3

this is life Search another antivirus+firewall that supports xp

• ESET Moderators

Hi V3.Firewall

Windows XP is already 14 years old as we speak (and 7 years passed from the last service pack). By the year 2017, it will be 16 years old - which is, if you ask me, much more than not one, but several lifespans of an operating system. And still the year 2017 is not the final decision, see the wording says until "at least" April 2017, so it may be even later.

We are already supporting this OS beyond the official support period of Microsoft and will continue to do so while it has a significant market share, but keep in mind that with time, it gets more difficult to provide security software for an operating system that is not patched itself and many new features may require current technology, not present in operating systems from the previous decade.

When we decide to end support for Windows XP, we will announce it in advance so that users who still use this outdated OS have enough time to upgrade.

Regards,

T.

Hi V3.Firewall

Windows XP is already 14 years old as we speak (and 7 years passed from the last service pack). By the year 2017, it will be 16 years old - which is, if you ask me, much more than not one, but several lifespans of an operating system. And still the year 2017 is not the final decision, see the wording says until "at least" April 2017, so it may be even later.

We are already supporting this OS beyond the official support period of Microsoft and will continue to do so while it has a significant market share, but keep in mind that with time, it gets more difficult to provide security software for an operating system that is not patched itself and many new features may require current technology, not present in operating systems from the previous decade.

When we decide to end support for Windows XP, we will announce it in advance so that users who still use this outdated OS have enough time to upgrade.

Regards,

T.

Hi TomasP thanks for replay yes have 14 years this Windows XP SP3

but it will still be used 14 years again this windows will never die

It is one of the best windows ever created Windows XP SP3 is King

You will not see anytime soon to give up Windows XP SP3

Those who grew up with this windows will never give up

Windows XP SP3 King of Kings

• Most Valued Members

during it's era it have been a good OS, but dont forget that it will NEVER get another update from microsoft, so even if you get a AV from the future using a time machine it will still be a valnurable OS.

consider this scenario. in your country, let's say all health care companies run windowx xp. and they decide they wont get contracts from microsoft for extended win xp updates due to financial reasons, then attackers discover a security issue and since microsoft wont patch it, it is free for anyone to exploit it.

all computers running xp in the health care companies will "die" and with it the millions of data of the people registered with them.

you use win xp. (as stated before) when all av companies stop supporting xp and require at least win 7/8, what are you going to do? discconect from the internet forever?

be warned that even a very good and feature rich AV wont help you if your OS is not patched and not up to date.

if you dont want to understand that a almost 20 years old OS is considered garbage, there is nothing else we can do.

Edited by pavilion_alex

during it's era it have been a good OS, but dont forget that it will NEVER get another update from microsoft, so even if you get a AV from the future using a time machine it will still be a valnurable OS.

consider this scenario. in your country, let's say all health care companies run windowx xp. and they decide they wont get contracts from microsoft for extended win xp updates due to financial reasons, then attackers discover a security issue and since microsoft wont patch it, it is free for anyone to exploit it.

all computers running xp in the health care companies will "die" and with it the millions of data of the people registered with them.

you use win xp. (as stated before) when all av companies stop supporting xp and require at least win 7/8, what are you going to do? discconect from the internet forever?

be warned that even a very good and feature rich AV wont help you if your OS is not patched and not up to date.

if you dont want to understand that a almost 20 years old OS is considered garbage, there is nothing else we can do.

I searched the net and Windows XP SP3 still works update

How to Get NEW Updates for Windows XP until 2019!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-t691QlHfs

Windows XP UNOFFICIAL Service Pack 4 Installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZI2NsYxvns

HACK: How To Get Windows XP Updates Until 2016!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4yxqoRmDs

I found out that the Chinese took over Windows XP SP3 and still works update

As you can see this windows never dies

Edited by V3.Firewall

• Most Valued Members

1. the video with the rgistry hack talks about a completely different version of XP and updates might not work as expected on the home version.

2. there is no service pack 4. the pack states that it has  some other programs packed to mass update them. for example it has the latest to that date version of flash player, java. etc.

installing unofficial updates from unknown sources is as equal as giving me the password to your credit card along with the card.

3. not all updates are qualified for all versions of windows.

anyway it will die when in a few years noone will create programs with minimum version of XP.

and anyway it's your pc do whatever you want with it. but don't start blaming the AV companies that won't support XP or when a OS flaw is discovered and the AV won't be able to protect you from it.

have a nice day :)

I beta test V9 on XP SP3, as I figure someone has to do some beta testing on that OS as well since ESET still support it until 2017. But I won't say with XP forever, and neither will ESET and many other software companies/developers. It doesn't matter how great you or anyone else think XP still is, what fun is using an OS when less and less softwares stays compatible with it, let alone being developed for it. Not to mention the security issue, and what's already been said about that XP is not a young boy anymore but an 14yr old pensioner. I am happy I don't have the lifespan of a digital product - I would have been EOL:ed a long time ago.

If you want to use ESET and Windows after 2017 then upgrade to Win7 or later.

1. the video with the rgistry hack talks about a completely different version of XP and updates might not work as expected on the home version.

2. there is no service pack 4. the pack states that it has  some other programs packed to mass update them. for example it has the latest to that date version of flash player, java. etc.

installing unofficial updates from unknown sources is as equal as giving me the password to your credit card along with the card.

3. not all updates are qualified for all versions of windows.

anyway it will die when in a few years noone will create programs with minimum version of XP.

and anyway it's your pc do whatever you want with it. but don't start blaming the AV companies that won't support XP or when a OS flaw is discovered and the AV won't be able to protect you from it.

have a nice day :)

We will see in a few years if as you say :rolleyes:but I doubt

Windows Xp Sp3 is King and will remain so all his life

I beta test V9 on XP SP3, as I figure someone has to do some beta testing on that OS as well since ESET still support it until 2017. But I won't say with XP forever, and neither will ESET and many other software companies/developers. It doesn't matter how great you or anyone else think XP still is, what fun is using an OS when less and less softwares stays compatible with it, let alone being developed for it. Not to mention the security issue, and what's already been said about that XP is not a young boy anymore but an 14yr old pensioner. I am happy I don't have the lifespan of a digital product - I would have been EOL:ed a long time ago.

If you want to use ESET and Windows after 2017 then upgrade to Win7 or later.

Windows 7 is a joke 2014 Windows XP was the Nr. 1,and Nr 2 Windows 7

but when Microsoft stopped the update to Windows XP,Windows 7 became Nr. 1

AVG support for Windows XP
Instructions

AVG products continue to support Windows XP after the official end of support on April 8, 2014. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and there are no new Windows security updates released for the operating system or Internet Explorer running on Windows XP.

To keep your computer safe, we recommend to upgrade your Windows to a newer version (Windows 8 or 10). To prevent web-based attacks aimed at outdated versions of Internet Explorer, you can increase your on-line safety by installing an alternative Internet browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

However, AVG software continues to work and receive new program versions and antivirus updates. If you continue using Windows XP, please make sure that you have installed all updates including Service Pack 3.

AVAST will continue to support Windows XP for home and business users

800px-Microsoft_Windows_XP_logo_and_wordIn “internet years” Microsoft’s Windows XP has been around for eons. It was released in August 2001, and in less than one month, on April 8, 2014, Microsoft will cease to provide support and security updates. The security updates patch vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malware and help to keep users and their data safe. Because of the continued use of XP in homes, businesses, schools, hospitals, and ATMs around the world, this has the potential to create massive security issues.

AVAST will continue to support Windows XP users by creating protection modules and detections to cover vulnerabilities and other security problems for at least the next three years. Our latest version, avast! Free Antivirus 2014, works well with older machines running Windows XP because of its light footprint, speed, and negligible resource consumption, making it a perfect choice even for older machines running Windows XP. AVAST protects more XP users than anyone else. You can get it free now! Download avast! Free Antivirus.

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

System Requirements:

Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 / Windows 8 / Windows 10, 152 MB RAM / 400 MB space

Release Details:

April 2, 2014. Please see latest release notes

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php

System Requirements:

Windows XP S2 and higher

152 MB RAM / 400 MB hard disk space

Release Details:

Release Date: August 6, 2015. Please see latest release notes

April 2, 2014. Please see latest release notes

Panda Security will continue to support and provide protection for Windows XP

Panda Security, The Cloud Security Company, today announced that its 2014 consumer solutions (Panda Global Protection 2014, Panda Internet Security 2014 and Panda Antivirus Pro 2014), as well as Panda Gold Protection and Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro, will continue to provide the same level of service to Windows XP users, despite the fact that Microsoft support for the operating system officially ended on April 8.It is very important for us to keep our commitments to our customers. Therefore, users with a Panda Security product installed on their systems will continue to enjoy maximum protection for Windows XP”.

Even today, Windows XP holds around 20% of the operating system market share. And this is the global figure. In Africa, Windows XP still commands a market share of around 33%. In Asia its 27%! In India it is around 30%, whereas in China it is 51%! That’s like literally hundreds of millions of computers still running Windows XP!

Windows Xp Sp3 is King

Edited by V3.Firewall

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 9.2 2015

We’ll do our best to make this transition as smooth as possible and minimize any inconvenience to you:

Compatibility with older versions of Windows is not an issue; Outpost 9 solutions support all Windows platforms from XP onwards, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Windows Xp Sp3 is King

Edited by V3.Firewall

• ESET Moderators

I don't think further discussion will bring us any closer to a mutually accepted agreement. You know the stance of the security industry on outdated operating systems and it is now up to you how you will deal with the situation.

Regards,

T.

I don't think further discussion will bring us any closer to a mutually accepted agreement. You know the stance of the security industry on outdated operating systems and it is now up to you how you will deal with the situation.

Regards,

T.

Hi again TomasP

I showed that companies do not want to lose customers who are still using Windows XP SP3

I need your help with something I want to open port 80 The player can access website

create account and download the client etc if I open port 80 firewall will protect against flood attack ?

Edited by V3.Firewall

how many updates are made daily ?

hxxp://virusradar.com/en/update/info/

But we also get assistance from LiveGrid all the time.....

Previously unknown suspicious samples/objects are collected and automatically processed on our in-the-cloud backend systems (including sandboxing). If a sample proves to be malicious, automated signatures are generated and immediately pushed out to our customers. This mechanism allows for effective detection of emerging threats even before the regular signatures are delivered to users’ computer via our standard signature database update (which happens several times a day).