Got the Blues

Guest Guest

Hi there, 

We have about 20 DELL workstations at our office. They are exactly the same specs (Dell T1600) and each workstation is running the same Windows 7 (updated via WSUS)....however we have one machine that constantly has the Blues. 

Basically eamon.sys is causing BSOD's on such basic things as renaming filenames. We all run version 5.0.2122.1. I upgraded this problem machine to the latest version - the BSOD's disappeared but a new issue arose so that ESET was using 100% of the CPU. So opening things like Windows explorer took about a minute and same with opening PDF's. 

I'm not sure how to proceed? 

I've already performed a clean install of Windows but the problem of BSOD's still appears on a clean version of Windows. I've contacted ESET support but have not heard a response yet. I've got a few minidumps to send in if it helps - I have already contacted DELL about the issue and they maintain it's an ESET fault - not any hardware problems. 

Specifically eamonm.sys. 

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I would suggest you start by opening a ticket with your local ESET office or distributor.  In additional the mini-dumps, please have a copy of the XML configuration data being pushed out to the workstations, as well as an ESET SysInspector log from the computer in question

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Administrators

Please check if the issue with CPU spiking goes away after disabling real-time protection. If so, capture all file operations using Process Monitor while reproducing the issue. When done, compress the log along with a current SysInspector log into an archive, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

Hello,

I would suggest you start by opening a ticket with your local ESET office or distributor.  In additional the mini-dumps, please have a copy of the XML configuration data being pushed out to the workstations, as well as an ESET SysInspector log from the computer in question

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks will do - In the meantime I reverted back to eset 4.2.71.2 which runs without issue (so far). 

Please check if the issue with CPU spiking goes away after disabling real-time protection. If so, capture all file operations using Process Monitor while reproducing the issue. When done, compress the log along with a current SysInspector log into an archive, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

To be honest I'm too afraid to put the latest Endpoint to test this as it also caused BSOD halfway through the install and ended up corrupting the install and uninstall package. :(

You may want to try the install after running msconfig and disabling all 3rd party software applications from starting. You may also have a software conflict that's causing the issue instead of something hardware wise. Sounds like this computer might have a different setup compared to the other 19 drives.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, and it may be a mute point, but we were experiencing BSODs as well with ESET Endpoint AV - particularly on Windows XP Pro machines, but also at least two Win7 Pro computers that I was made aware of.  When ESET released a version update in the middle of July, I released that the installers we were using did not include this patch (they had been created the month before) - also ESET Endpoint AV by itself wasn't downloading this product update by itself.  So I obtained new installer (for us, using our EMU) and built new installation .msi's using the ERAC and went to work removing ESET from the machines that had experienced Blue Screens, and re-installing with the new installers.  To date, they have not Blue Screened again.

The version we're running now is 5.0.2126.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Administrators

Whenever you experience issues with BSOD, please provide the memory dump created during the crash and compressed in an archive to ESET for analysis. Feel free to drop me a personal message with a download link to speed up the analysis.