download contained a virus and was deleted

Guest gerryb

Guest gerryb

when I try to Download and Install ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6  ,,, I get a message ... 'eset_nod32_antivirus_live_installer.exe contained a virus and was deleted' ... when I try to download a Norton uninstaller ... I get a message ... 'Norton_removal_tool.exe contained a virus and was deleted' ... what's up? ...my friend really likes ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 and I wanted to trial ... thanks, gerry

What software is it that shows you the message? Do you already have Norton installed? If so, then first uninstall Norton, and after that you can install ESET NOD32. They are not meant to be installed at the same time.

I don't know where from you are downloading the ESET installer, but this is the right place: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/2/?trl=ea

Also, you get a message ?

What kind of message ? Where is it located ? Can you provide a screen shot of your picture... a link to it will be fine  ? .

• ESET Insiders

gerryb,

This is a situation I've seen with combination of Internet Explorer + Windows Defender. If this is so in your case, too, you can try to disable Defender and download with another browser.

Tomo

My colleague reminds me that new Sirefef versions can cause this behaviour, too.

You can try to download ESET's cleaner (try to DL it to USB stick on another PC).

download.eset.com/special/ESETSirefefCleaner.exe

Tomo

@ Tomo

I agree with your friend.

@ gerryb

Read carefully the instructions and comments from this link. Good luck.

hxxp://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-contained-a-virus-and-was-deleted-removal/

• Former ESET Employees

Here are instructions and video on how to fix this issue using the ESETSirefefCleaner. You will need to rename C:\Program Files\Windows Defender before you can download the tool and also remember to rename it back to Windows Defender before you run the tool. The video will show you all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Sirefef standalone cleaner is nice in the fact it restores services dlls and registry keys.

Tried it out over the weekend on a clients machine.

Good stuff.

It had piggy backed on a google redirect virus.

:)