Windows 10 Mail (Gmail) error 0x80048830 Won't sync

Alith J

Gmail worked fine yesterday. Today I am getting this error and my Gmail won't sync. Is this a known issue with the antivirus? I'm using the 9.0.349.14 build.

I also getting error 0x80048830 when sync. from Gmail to "Windows Mail", as well have received imap error in another application "eM Client".
Everything working well, when I make off "Email client protection". But, in this way I do not have protection for incoming mails.

Was working fine yesterday too. Today I find this issue and I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had already deleted and re-entered my email account twice. Please Fix it.

• Administrators

Please post information about installed modules. I can use Mail application and sync it with my Gmail account alright with v9 installed.

The Outlook account (Hotmail) I'm using with the Mail app works just fine. It's the Gmail account that's not syncing. 

Here are the details of NOD32. 

Virus signature database: 12910 (20160122)
Rapid Response module: 7374 (20160122)
Update module: 1060 (20150617)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1474.1 (20160104)
Advanced heuristics module: 1165 (20160104)
Archive support module: 1243 (20151221)
Cleaner module: 1114 (20151004)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1093 (20151216)
ESET SysInspector module: 1257 (20151113)
Real-time file system protection module: 1010 (20150806)
Translation support module: 1448 (20160112)
HIPS support module: 1210 (20160111)
Internet protection module: 1242 (20160114)
Database module: 1072 (20150831)
Configuration module (33): 1213.9 (20151211)
LiveGrid communication module: 1020 (20150807)
Specialized cleaner module: 1010 (20141118)

I have to inform that with the latest modules update (right now) my Gmail account is finally syncing again. Thank you for the quick fix. 

• 1 month later...

Okay this exact problem is happening to me starting yesterday afternoon it looks like. Gmail will not synch with in Windows 10 Mail. It brings up a that error after trying to synch for a while.

I have disabled the IMAP and IMAPS checker and it does fix this (or was it disabling checking for WIndows Mail I should check my settings again).

Not the best solution with no email protection. How do I fix this for real?

Please post your information about the installed modules:

- open ESET

- click Help and Support in the menu

- click About ESET...

- click Copy

- paste here in this forum post

Thank you.

Virus signature database: 13183 (20160315)
Rapid Response module: 7667 (20160315)
Update module: 1062 (20151228)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1480 (20160225)
Advanced heuristics module: 1168 (20160304)
Archive support module: 1246 (20160229)
Cleaner module: 1118 (20160205)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1094 (20160119)
ESET SysInspector module: 1257 (20151113)
Real-time file system protection module: 1010 (20150806)
Translation support module: 1456 (20160222)
HIPS support module: 1218 (20160310)
Internet protection module: 1226.14 (20160314)
Database module: 1078 (20160301)
Configuration module (33): 1240.3 (20160215)
LiveGrid communication module: 1020 (20150807)
Specialized cleaner module: 1010 (20141118)
Rootkit detection and cleaning module: 1000 (20151228)

• Administrators

While previous versions didn't have SSL scanning enabled by default, v9 has. So the question is if the issue occurs with v8 when SSL scanning is enabled.

If the issue goes away after disabling IMAP scanning or protocol filtering, enable advanced protocol filtering logging in the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics and reproduce the issue. When done, compress the two pcapng files in the Diagnostics folder and drop me a pm with the archive attached. Also include the output from ESET Log Collector (hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3466/).

I had the same problem, I solved it by reverting back to v8. Would definitely love to see this issue fixed in v9.

That's not a solution. You're running a security risk by using an older version. You should try to solve this problem in v9.

While previous versions didn't have SSL scanning enabled by default, v9 has. So the question is if the issue occurs with v8 when SSL scanning is enabled.

If the issue goes away after disabling IMAP scanning or protocol filtering, enable advanced protocol filtering logging in the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics and reproduce the issue. When done, compress the two pcapng files in the Diagnostics folder and drop me a pm with the archive attached. Also include the output from ESET Log Collector (hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3466/).

Yes, exactly. So to sum it up:

1. Open ESET > Setup > Advanced setup > Tools > Diagnostics > Enable Protocol filetering advanced logging. Make sure it's enabled.

If the option is missing please try: Setup > Advanced setup > Web and mail > Protocol Filtering > Enable Protocol filetering advanced logging.

2. Reproduce the error (i.e. check your email, send a quick test, read an email, whatever).

3. Disable Protocol filetering advanced logging.

4. The logs were written to two files: EsetProxyInner.pcapng and EsetProxyOuter.pcapng. Those files are located in the target directory. You can see the target directory in Setup > Advanced setup > Tools > Diagnostics. Examples:

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Diagnostics

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Endpoint Security\Diagnostics

It depends which product you use (ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Smart Security, etc.).

Please note ProgramData is a hidden folder. You might need to show hidden files and folders:

hxxp://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Use Internet Explorer to find those files. Compress them (right click > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder. PM those files to Marcos.

5. Create a an ESET Log Collector log and PM that to Marcos:

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3466/

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply and all the problem solving information RvW. I went to test it today and the mails are coming thru on Windows 10 mail today! I have printed your directions and will forward to Marcos the next time this issue comes up. (It's resolved itself before and then the problem started again a few weeks later).

Interestingly enough, ESET didn't load when I started my computer this AM and so the Windows 10 mail came thru. Then when I rebooted and ESET loaded, the WIndows 10 mail still worked.

I had the same problem, I solved it by reverting back to v8. Would definitely love to see this issue fixed in v9.

That's not a solution. You're running a security risk by using an older version. You should try to solve this problem in v9.

Thanks for the advise, already upgraded back to v9.

I've disabled Protocol Filtering and Windows Mail (Gmail) syncing works. Already PM Marcos with those log files.

4.2.3 Protocol filtering

Antivirus protection for application protocols is provided by the ThreatSense scanning engine, which seamlessly integrates all advanced malware scanning techniques. Protocol filtering works automatically, regardless of the Internet browser or email client used. To edit encrypted (SSL/TLS) settings, go to Web and email > SSL/TLS.

Enable application protocol content filtering – Can be used to disable protocol filtering. Note that many ESET NOD32 Antivirus components (Web access protection, Email protocols protection, Anti-Phishing, Web control) depend on this and will be non-functional without it.

Excluded applications – Allows you to exclude specific applications from protocol filtering. Useful when protocol filtering causes compatibility issues.

Excluded IP addresses – Allows you to exclude specific remote addresses from protocol filtering. Useful when protocol filtering causes compatibility issues.

Web and email clients – Used only on Windows XP operating systems, allows you to select applications for which all traffic is filtered by protocol filtering, regardless of ports used.

Source: hxxp://download.eset.com/manuals/eset_eav_9_userguide_enu.pdf

Edited by RvW

Thanks for the advise, already upgraded back to v9.

I've disabled Protocol Filtering and Windows Mail (Gmail) syncing works. Already PM Marcos with those log files.

I wouldn't disable Protocol Filtering. Instead you can activate SSL in Interactive mode:

Setup > Advanced Setup > Web and Mail > SSL/TLS > Enable SSL/TLS protocol filtering > SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode: Interactive mode.

Interactive mode will ask you if you want to allow or block a website. You can allow the websites that are safe and Ignore the websites that are safe but cause problems.

This part of the manual provides further information on adding certificates:

hxxp://help.eset.com/ess/9/nl-NL/index.html?idh_config_epfw_ssl.htm

There is a link List of known certificates that you can use to add the URL of the website for which you want to add the certificate.

Hope this helps.