Protocol Filtering Problem causing FF addon downloads to fail

Super_Spartan

First of all, when will ESET fix this major bug whereas when you disable NOD32, it doesn't really get fully disabled?

Just as a current example and I won't bother going with the many other examples I had in the past, I was trying to download the XMARKS add-on on Firefox, at the end of the download, I would get the error message which I will show you in the screenshot below. disabling NOD32 didn't fix the problem, so I then uninstalled NOD32 and the download and installation worked right away.

This has part to do with the Protocol Filtering bug I get upon every startup of Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 10240 (official)

NOD32 is very buggy and I don't think it was ready for a public released, heck even the BETA never gave me such problems.

I have uninstalled it now and will let my 5 year license for 7 PCs collect dust. I cannot deal with these issues.

NOD32 was the only AV for me that didn't conflict with anything but it's a big mess right now. Very disappointed.

post-1272-0-69940000-1445501580_thumb.png

• Administrators

We will look into it, however, it's a matter of fact that we have never encountered an issue installing a Firefox add-on nor has it been reported by customers so far. If it was a major bug, we would have definitely had it reported by many users.

We will look into it, however, it's a matter of fact that we have never encountered an issue installing a Firefox add-on nor has it been reported by customers so far. If it was a major bug, we would have definitely had it reported by many users.

Well I guess I'm a first but this is a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro x64 and Windows Defender and all its startup entries disabled with no other security software installed.

this issue only started when I started getting the protocol filtering bug upon every restart. But another problem is why doesn't disabling NOD32 fix this? Same thing happened to me last year as I said in an earlier post where MS Outlook 2013 would fail to sync my emails, even if I disabled NOD32, after uninstalling it, the syncing worked. Now syncing Outlook is no longer an issue but what I am trying to say here is, disabling NOD32 does nothing, only the icon says that it is disabled but it seems like the core components like HTTP scanning is still active despite me choosing to disable protection. This hasn't changed with v9 as well.

• Most Valued Members

i also tried to download the app from the website shown in the pic, but it failed.

i stopped all the shields and it still couldn't download because of a connection issue.

after disabling ssl scanning it installed successfully. perhaps the connection isn't secure enough or something else is going on and it fails when all modules are active on ESET.

i also tried to download the app from the website shown in the pic, but it failed.

i stopped all the shields and it still couldn't download because of a connection issue.

after disabling ssl scanning it installed successfully. perhaps the connection isn't secure enough or something else is going on and it fails when all modules are active on ESET.

yup this is what I mean thank you for that. Disabling NOD32 is as good as nothing, that setting never really worked.

I have to buy another security solution for now. Maybe I'll try NOD32 next year and use my 5 year license, but for now, the issues, be it performance issues or such drastic issues that prevent me from using my computer the way I do is something I cannot tolerate.

• Most Valued Members

this isn't a reason to change your security program. even if you get another program you might face the same issue.

after all since it's an addon file, you can right-click on the download button and select "save link/ as", save it to your desktop and then go to the addons settings and select to install addons from file.

it will install fine.

• Administrators

I have a suspicion that the error occurs due to ESET's root certificate which is not trusted by Xmarks. The same error occurs with ESS 5.2 and updates from 2012. I was able to install the add-on via the Firefox setup -> Add-ons without issue.

If you want to download it from Xmarks website, do the following:

1, Switch SSL scanning to interactive mode

2, Install the add-on

3, When prompted whether to scan the communication, select "Remember action for this certificate" and click Ignore.

4, Switch SSL scanning to automatic mode if you don't won't to be prompted for an action on https websites.