v8- How to get programs "Fully" Trusted, and...?

I would like to know if there is an easier way to get complex (i.e.- CCleaner, browsers, Outlook, sandboxie, ...) Fully trusted, than what method I am currently doing?-

I am now spending Huge amounts of time opening/closing Every program module on install/updates..., and then again after restart!  :unsure:

Then the next day it is necessary again, after a cold startup (especially after Windows updates!).  :ph34r:

I am spending sooo much time keeping ESS firewall trusted on my 2 computers, that I don't have time to keep up with my email...  :wacko:

-Maybe I would be better off with regular ESET NOD32, and quit messing with pesky Internet Security firewalls (KIS 2014 was Much worse than ESS!)? 

Edited by scottls59901

• Administrators

If I understand it correctly, you are using firewall in policy-based mode and have created rules for the applications you use. However, if some of these applications update, the path to the executable changes which causes the firewall to block the communication. Is that the case? Or you are using firewall in automatic mode (default), do not have any custom rules created and disabling firewall temporarily resolves the issue?

If I understand it correctly, you are using firewall in policy-based mode and have created rules for the applications you use. However, if some of these applications update, the path to the executable changes which causes the firewall to block the communication. Is that the case? Or you are using firewall in automatic mode (default), do not have any custom rules created and disabling firewall temporarily resolves the issue?

I first tried using  Learning-mode for initial-setup (after an over-the-top upgrade to .312), then back to automatic, as firewall/program... Trust rules weren't created in Learning-mode.

I had also tried policy-based mode in old .304, and have Never created separate profiles. 

I do sometimes get ESS pop-ups saying rules have changed, and I Allow/always.

Appears this is the problem? Appears to be activated when anything other than the default mode of allowing all outbound traffic is selected? In any case, any updates that are signed should not be triggering an alert. I would check your settings in this area.

post-6784-0-03653600-1434641602_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Appears this is the problem? Appears to be activated when anything other than the default mode of allowing all outbound traffic is selected? In any case, any updates that are signed should not be triggering an alert. I would check your settings in this area.

attachicon.gifEset App Mod Detection.png

I checked App Mod Detection, and found this-

post-4132-0-91840400-1435612227_thumb.jpg

1. Should I Remove the 3 Programs in the box, and OK..., as ESS is still Slow getting browsers... Trusted (open/close 4 times)?

2. Maybe I'm not Trusting properly..., as after the next days cold startup. I have to Trust all over again...?- Especially after Win7 manual updates/Java/Adobe Flash Player/sandboxie/...!?

Is it necessary to open Every module of updated programs (CCleaner/MS Word 2003/...?

• Administrators

I am now spending Huge amounts of time opening/closing Every program module on install/updates

It's not clear what you mean. Please post a screen shot for better understanding of what issue you're having.

I am now spending Huge amounts of time opening/closing Every program module on install/updates

It's not clear what you mean. Please post a screen shot for better understanding of what issue you're having.

I think he believe that ESS will "trust" = scan the software when he opens/execute it (which it will), and once he manage to get it "trusted" (meaning what ?) ESS should not scan it the next time he opens that software, and there should be no execution delay when he opens the software in question the second, third, fourth time.

But I don't understand what he means, or what he thinks that ESS actually does, making a software "trusted" = ?

Maybe he refer to the cache, smart signatures or ?

"I am spending sooo much time keeping ESS firewall trusted on my 2 computers, that I don't have time to keep up with my email..."

But where/how does the firewall come into the picture ? Is it about Learning Mode and apps ? Or keeping the ESS firewall "trusted" in some other 3'rd party software ?

Not sure   :unsure:

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

I can't quite figure out what the OP means either. But just maybe they have Eset in Interactive mode with rules and each application is asking for permissions. He may be granting permission but failing to create a rule so the next time he starts the program is asks for permission again.

Then again it could be something completely different.

attachicon.gifApplicatiomMidify.JPG

1. Should I Remove the 3 Programs in the box, and OK..., as ESS is still Slow getting browsers... Trusted (open/close 4 times)?

2. Maybe I'm not Trusting properly..., as after the next days cold startup. I have to Trust all over again...?- Especially after Win7 manual updates/Java/Adobe Flash Player/sandboxie/...!?

Is it necessary to open Every module of updated programs (CCleaner/MS Word 2003/...?

Something definitely is not right with your Eset installation. I have never received any alert from Eset SS 8 about trusting anything. Win Updates install without issue and so do other app updates. You definitely should not be getting trust alerts about IE at every startup after boot. That is unless something is indeed modifying IE and your other apps?

I see you are running Zemana's Antilogger - free version. You running any other security software? Thought I saw a ref. to Sandboxie? You should exclude any other security software from Eset's real-time scanning at the minimum. 

Also post a screen shot of the alert from Eset you are receiving when you receive this "trust" alert. Also have you checked your logs to see if anything is recorded there? If so, please post a screen shot of the entries there.

Do you have Eset's firewall set to "automatic" filtering mode and selected profile to "no profile?"

Finally, you should uninstall any other security like software before installing Eset. If worse comes to worse, you will have to do that and then reinstall Eset.

I have also seen mixed reviews on VIT Registry Fix. If you have run it after installing Eset, it may have very well "borked" part of your Eset installation settings in the registry.

-EDIT- You keep referring to "Trust" alerts and your browser. Are these alerts in ref. to the trusted zone? Again screen shots of the alerts are a must.

Edited by itman

Something definitely is not right with your Eset installation. I have never received any alert from Eset SS 8 about trusting anything. Win Updates install without issue and so do other app updates. You definitely should not be getting trust alerts about IE at every startup after boot. That is unless something is indeed modifying IE and your other apps?

I see you are running Zemana's Antilogger - free version. You running any other security software? Thought I saw a ref. to Sandboxie? You should exclude any other security software from Eset's real-time scanning at the minimum. 

Also post a screen shot of the alert from Eset you are receiving when you receive this "trust" alert. Also have you checked your logs to see if anything is recorded there? If so, please post a screen shot of the entries there.

Do you have Eset's firewall set to "automatic" filtering mode and selected profile to "no profile?"

Finally, you should uninstall any other security like software before installing Eset. If worse comes to worse, you will have to do that and then reinstall Eset.

I have also seen mixed reviews on VIT Registry Fix. If you have run it after installing Eset, it may have very well "borked" part of your Eset installation settings in the registry.

I have since uninstalled Zemana Antilogger as it played havoc with Windows Update changes..., but it was active when ESS was installed/online updated (both computers)- I will reinstall ESS later...- Any Special uninstall/install instructions?

I have Never run VIT Registry Fix on Win7, as I'm scared by Any Reg cleaner (except CCleaner), and will stay away from it....

I have since uninstalled Zemana Antilogger as it played havoc with Windows Update changes..., but it was active when ESS was installed/online updated (both computers)- I will reinstall ESS later...- Any Special uninstall/install instructions?

I have Never run VIT Registry Fix on Win7, as I'm scared by Any Reg cleaner (except CCleaner), and will stay away from it....

If you are using the "full" paid ver. of Zemana anti-logger, it does do real-time monitoring of app. changes. The free ver. does not do that.

I stop using it because I don't trust Zemana.

Windows uninstaller is usually adequate for Eset. Just install and leave default settings alone until there are no further "trust" issue that you spoke of.

Edited by itman

If you are using the "full" paid ver. of Zemana anti-logger, it does do real-time monitoring of app. changes. The free ver. does not do that.

Windows uninstaller is usually adequate for Eset. Just install and leave default settings alone until there are no further "trust" issue that you spoke of.

-Sounds good on the uninstall/reinstall, I won't import old settings..., and leave Default settings.

-BTW?- I also had/have LastPass free Password Manager installed (security software of sorts...), and ESS is Slow to allow changes/updates- Should I also uninstall this, Before ESS reinstall?

-Sounds good on the uninstall/reinstall, I won't import old settings..., and leave Default settings.

-BTW?- I also had/have LastPass free Password Manager installed (security software of sorts...), and ESS is Slow to allow changes/updates- Should I also uninstall this, Before ESS reinstall?

LastPass shouldn't affect Eset install as far as I am aware of. 

Note: The fact you were also having WIN update issues with Zemana AL leads me to believe you might have file permissions of some type of Group Policy issues. Did you ever set up Group Policy rules in WIN for file access, updating, or the like? 

You should have never received errors from Zemana AL about WIN updates; especially using the free version.

Leads me to believe your issues might lie at the OS level.

LastPass shouldn't affect Eset install as far as I am aware of. 

Note: The fact you were also having WIN update issues with Zemana AL leads me to believe you might have file permissions of some type of Group Policy issues. Did you ever set up Group Policy rules in WIN for file access, updating, or the like? 

You should have never received errors from Zemana AL about WIN updates; especially using the free version.

Leads me to believe your issues might lie at the OS level.

- I never set any rules in WIN update, other than notify me before download- Should I set rules?

- Zemana AL blocks changes to some Win files..., and I feel that this was the problem?- I never received any ZAL errors, but had to keep reinstalling the same Win updates over-and-over until I uninstalled it.

- I feel that you are correct about my OS maybe being corrupted?- Being that I have to uninstall ESS, that would be a good time to do a system Repair Install (A Much Faster Upgrade Reinstall..., from Seven forums).

hxxp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Edited by scottls59901