USB SysRescue Question

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3509

I used SOLN3509 (Oct 22, '14) to Dnload the USB SysRescue creator and it said SysRescue Successfully Created . This approach does NOT use the huge MS WAIK Dnload --

(2) Files ( autorun.inf & eset-favicon.ico) show on the (16 GB) SysR USB totalling ONLY 533 KB ( I saved the 336 MB ISO created in the process to the desktop hard drive) BUT when I insert a 1 GB USB and Clk on the SysR creator, it shows ..... 0.1 GB Too Small (where did 800+ MB of space go unless my Formatting is wrong?).

(Win 7 Hm Prem 64) In Elevated Cmd Prompt  I previously had Cleaned the 1 GB USB / create par Primary/ Active/ format FS=fat32 QUICK / ....

Should the 1 GB USB work with this SysRescue Create Approach so i can use the 16 GB elsewhere?

Edited by COStark26

As about WAIK - yes the article you linked is about ESET SysRescue Live, which is a newer (and completely different) version than ESET SysRescue which is included in the ESET products. Only ESET SysRescue required WAIK.

However you can of course still create both version, so you can choose whether you want to use ESET SysRescue (Windows-based) or ESET SysRescue Live (Linux-based).

So as for the files you see (Icon and autorun.inf) - these are just on one FAT32 partition. The important thing for ESET SysRescue is the ext3 partition, which Linux uses. As Windows doesn't support ext3 it isn't displayed.

However the FAT32 partition is displayed and it's only purpose is that the USB stick or the CD/DVD looks nice in Windows.

Okay, there is also another thing you can do with the FAT32 partition. As this partition uses nearly all remaining space of the USB you can use it like you use any USB - store files on it. You can read them on Windows and also on Linux, even if you're booting from the USB. :)

Edit: In fact ESET SysRescue boots from another FAT32 partition as well, but this one isn't shown - it's around 600 MB large). Only the VSD updates are stored on an ext3 partition.

BTW AFAIK ESET SysRescue should fit on a 1 GB USB (if it fits on a CD then any USB should be more than enough).

BTW I think this topic should be moved to ESET Standalone Malware Removal Tools.

Edit: Changed some information as the partitions are different than I thought...

Edited by rugk

Thanks for the Reply.

I got this Live strategy from another Thread, but it appears I need a bigger USB even for this approach. No big deal.