ESET stops working when I click on "Computer scan" button

Everything works great until I click on "Computer scan" button. Then the program stops working (it behaves like stipid). I thought, that it is because of kind of rootkit, so I reinstalled Windows (8.1 x64), I updated BIOS, but the problem is not solved. I installed ESET(smart security and NOD32 - same problem) on VERY clean Windows 8.1 after all updates. What can be wrong? What can I do? I attached a film with this problem.

Than you for any respond.

• Administrators

Isn't it that it just take longer for the program to respond when selecting "Computer scan" in gui? There's such known issue which is going to be addressed in the upcoming v8 service build soon.

I just solved the problem. I'm almost sure that it is because of malware contained in EaseUS Todo Backup Free. Every time, when I reinstalled Windows I also installed this program before I installed ESET, so I reinstalled Windows again without installing EaseUs - it helped; ESET is working great. What's more I wrote an e-mail message to ESET developers about this. When they will respond I will let you know what they are thinking about it.

There is no malware contained in Easeus Todo Backup. I use that program myself. It's a false positive on Eset part. Just exclude the Easeus folder from being scanned. Problem solved. There was nothing to email about. Excluding the folder solves the issue. Why did you need to reinstall Windows?

Edited by LabVIEW707

There is no malware contained in Easeus Todo Backup. I use that program myself. It's a false positive on Eset part.

ESET (respectively ESS) has never said it would contain malware. The one who said this is, @josifusz. And he could solve the problem by not installing it. His assumption was it contains malware. However I would rather think it's a incompatibility between ESS and EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

Maybe report this to EaseUS Todo Backup Free if this should be the case.

The issue @Marcos was referring to was this one which had not many to do with another software, but with devices plugged in which were sometimes causing the issue.

• Administrators

I'm almost sure that it is because of malware contained in EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

I assume it was rather a potentially unwanted application detected than actual malware, wasn't it?

:wacko:

I think it was not detected by ESET at all...

If it would have been detected by ESET he would known it and wouldn't be "almost sure" that there is malware...

I just solved the problem. I'm almost sure that it is because of malware contained in EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

Also keep in mind that he installed this software before he installed ESS, so ESS couldn't detect the installer (e.g.) he used.

Could you clarify this, @josifusz? And if it was detected by ESS could you please post a screenshot of the detection message?

No both of you are incorrect. There is no incompatibility nor is there an unwanted detection. When you run a full scan with Eset it detects 2 files in the Easeus folder. I ignore those findings and simply exclude the folder from being scanned. It's that easy. There is NOTHING wrong with Easeus Todo Backup. I have ran into this problem several times. It's a false positive so I just exclude  the folder from being scanned. Just download Easeus Todo Backup yourself. I think it was some .dll file but I maybe wrong. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

No the TS didn't run a scan. He just clicked on "computer scan".

But I think we should stop speculating what the cause could be until the TS clarified this a bit.

@josifusz

Also a screenshot of the "stupid behaviour" would be very helpful.

Computer scan means scan computer. Same thing as a full scan. I know exactly what he is talking about cause I ran into the same issue. I use Easues Todo weekly. Also he would have to reinstall Easues Todo to post a screen shot. It;s no big deal. Just like Webroot detects System Explorer. You just add it to the trusted list. Most likely Josifusz does not know what a false positive is nor does he know how to exclude folders and files. I never bothered reporting it cause I know how to deal with it. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

Okay, if you're experiencing the same issue then you can follow the things I said to @josifusz.

However I'd like to say again that he didn't mention that he started a computer scan, but...

I click on "Computer scan" button.

It's not really a button (it's rather a kind of tab), but there is no other button in ESS which has the same label. The buttons to start a scan are either "smart scan", "userdefined scan" or "restart last scan". Other buttons are "Scan" or "Scan as administrator".

I tell you what. When I get home I will show you.

Okay, great. :)

Could you clarify this, @josifusz? And if it was detected by ESS could you please post a screenshot of the detection message?

I had installed EaseUS Todo Backup Free before I installed ESET. Then ESET did't find anything.

Strange behavior od ESET:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMCNEFiXfk&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guse2nc_DSc&feature=youtu.be

Do you have Easeus installed now? If so run a full scan and check the results. 

Of course not. That's why I can say:

I just solved the problem. I'm almost sure that it is because of malware contained in EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

@josifusz

The links to the videos you posted are private.

Now should be OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guse2nc_DSc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMCNEFiXfk&feature=youtu.be

Okay, so it seems stuck. And you're sure this has to do with EaseUS Todo Backup Free?

BTW did you noticed that (in your first video) the disk usage of the Disk 0 was 100%?

Edited by rugk

You do know that Easeus does not run in real time by default. Unless you were running a backup at that time. Also is that in a VM? There is no wallpaper or icons or anything. Like your entire pc screen is blank. VM's are not real VM's can cause lot's of issues. 

Okay, so it seems stuck. And you're sure this has to do with EaseUS Todo Backup Free?

BTW did you noticed that (in your first video) the disk usage of the Disk 0 was 100%?

I'm 99% sure. I will be 100% sure when developers say that this is true.

High disk usage may be caused by a program that was recording those videos.

You do know that Easeus does not run in real time by default.

If there is malware then it is not default.

Also is that in a VM? There is no wallpaper or icons or anything. Like your entire pc screen is blank. VM's are not real VM's can cause lot's of issues. 

It is not a VM. It is a real machine. I changed wallpaper to make those films clear (those films has been recorded for ESET developers month ago, but they weren't able to help me.).

I am not arguing with you but I find it hard to believe that Easeus Todo Backup Free is the issue. You can easily verify it by re installing it and getting the problem to come back. Then if it does try excluding the Easeus folder. When you install Easeus Todo Backup it installs a tray icon and a service. Both can be disabled. But the program itself does not run in real time. Therefore i find it hard to believe that its your issue. Now if you were running a backup and this happened I could understand that. But I use both Easues and Aoemi and never once have I had an issue. When you are backing up it takes a lot of resources. So even opening up something like the control panel takes awhile. There is NO malware related issues with Easeus. If there was then you would have seen an alert from Eset. Did you? Do you have logs? 

Edited by LabVIEW707

I am not arguing with you but I find it hard to believe that Easeus Todo Backup Free is the issue. You can easily verify it by re installing it and getting the problem to come back. Then if it does try excluding the Easeus folder. When you install Easeus Todo Backup it installs a tray icon and a service. Both can be disabled. But the program itself does not run in real time. Therefore i find it hard to believe that its your issue. Now if you were running a backup and this happened I could understand that. But I use both Easues and Aoemi and never once have I had an issue. When you are backing up it takes a lot of resources. So even opening up something like the control panel takes awhile. There is NO malware related issues with Easeus. If there was then you would have seen an alert from Eset. Did you? Do you have logs? 

In one of my films you can see, that rest of programs work and open very fast.

At the beginning of this topic I said clearly, that I'm almost sure. It means that I can be wrong (but I don't think so). Anyway let's wait for developers respond. If you are impatient - Download Windows 8.1 Enterprise (90 days) from Microsoft TechNet website, install it on VirtualBox, install ESET on it - check out how does it work, next install EaseUS TB Free and check out ESET again.

But I use both Easues and Aoemi and never once have I had an issue.

Which version of EaseUS TB Free do you have? I'm asking, because there was no problem (and malware) in the older versions. My problem appeared at the end of the 2014.