ESET stops working when I click on "Computer scan" button

Lol................I have been using Easeus for year. I have never seen any malware packed with it. It is one of the best FREE imaging programs put there. All I see in your videos is a gray wallpaper and the Eset GUI not showing properly. Do you know that Easeus does not run in real time? Therefore it will not interfere with anything uless you are currently using it. The current version is 8.2. Any proof of Easeus Todo being malicious? Also if you believe Easeus put malware on your pc where is the logs and detection from Eset?

All your first video shows is an unresponsive Eset GUI. That's it. I do not see Easeus Todo running or any other programs. Sure you show the system tray but where's the taskbar? Where is task manager showing Easeus Todo using 100% processor power? Where is the alert from Eset showing that there is  a malware infection inside the Easeus folder?

hxxp://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Edited by LabVIEW707

Your arguments sugest, that You didn't read carefully all my posts.

I said clearly. If You don't believe me check it yourself on virtual machine.

A VM is NOT real. Why don't  you do us all a favor and re install Easeus. Show us the warning from Eset that says there is malware inside Easeus. Please explain how a program that is not running can hang Eset GUI? Why would I use Windows 8.1 Enterprise? That is for businesses. You posted that Eaesus was causing the issue and that there is malware contained with Easeus. Well where is the proof of that? All your video shows its that Eset GUI is hanging. How does that relate to Easeus Todo Backup when Easeus Todo was not currently running. When Eset detects malware it produces a popup in the lower right hand corner and creates a log file. Where is that proof?

Edited by LabVIEW707

A VM is NOT real.

No, but nearly real. So you could simply try it out and if you can reproduce it then you know that you can reproduce it. If not then not.

And of course you can also test it on a real system. If you have installed the software anyway.

So am I right that this issues described by the TS currently doesn't happen on your system (ESS + EaseUS Todo Backup Free)?

Please explain how a program that is not running can hang Eset GUI?

There could be some drivers...

@josifusz

Just to make one thing clear could you answer this question with yes or no?

Did you see any alert from ESET about a malicious file/website/... related to EaseUS Todo Backup Free?

If not why do you think it's malicious? There could just be some incompatibilities or other problems. The problem could also be on ESETs site or it could be fully unrelated to EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

So if you install ESS and EaseUS Todo Backup Free this issue happens? And if you uninstall EaseUS Todo Backup Free after this it's okay again?

Edited by rugk

A driver is just there. It does not run in real time. A drive for Easeus Todo Backup will only be needed when running a backup. Easeus DOES NOT run in real time. When you install it you will get a tray icon and a service. That's it. Both can be disabled. Now what he can do is re-insta;; Easeus and terminate both those processes and see what happens. So far we have absolutely no evidence ?that Easues is the culprit. Also why is a home user using Windows 8.1 Enterprise and is ESS compatible with an enterprise version of Windows?

@josifusz

Just to make one thing clear could you answer this question with yes or no?

Did you see any alert from ESET about a malicious file/website/... related to EaseUS Todo Backup Free?

No

If not why do you think it's malicious?

I think, that EaseUS TB Free can contain some malware because

Every time, when I reinstalled Windows I also installed this program before I installed ESET, so I reinstalled Windows again without installing EaseUs - it helped; ESET is working great.

There could just be some incompatibilities or other problems. The problem could also be on ESETs site or it could be fully unrelated to EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

Yes, there could be some incompatibilities - that's why I wrote

At the beginning of this topic I said clearly, that I'm almost sure. It means that I can be wrong (but I don't think so).

I'm 99% sure. I will be 100% sure when developers say that this is true.

And if you uninstall EaseUS Todo Backup Free after this it's okay again?

Yes. I checked it on my second computer.

There is NO malware contained in Easeus Todo Backup. If there is please show us. There is no incompatibility either. I backup weekly using Easeus and Aoemi. I am also on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Where you running a backup when this happened? Did you try excluding Easeus's folder from Eset? How do you know there is an incompatibility when you were not running a backup? So basically you think that Easeus is malicious. Lol

If there was or is in fact malware contained inside the Easeus folder don't you think there would be other posts? When any av detects malware it gives off an alert. Where is that alert? Where is the log files? Just because Eset GUI became unresponsive does not mean that Easeus is to blame. Especially since it does not run in real time. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

Just for your information and not saying anything about Backup, but Partition Manager Free comes with Eye Candy for the last two or thre versions.

Been some time since I last updated it, I THINK IT WAS EYE CANDY.

Just for your information and not saying anything about Backup, but Partition Manager Free comes with Eye Candy for the last two or thre versions.

Been some time since I last updated it, I THINK IT WAS EYE CANDY.

Eye candy refers to something looking spectacular. Something with Bling. If you mean "Open Candy" I have never seen Easeus Partition manager packed with it. Then again we are not talking about Partition manager. Open Candy is detected upon downloading or installing. It produces an alert from Eset. There is NO alert therefore no problem. Open Candy is NOT malware. It's a PUP. If you watched the videos you would see the problem. He tries to open up the main GUI to Eset and it hangs. Therefore he is blaming Easeus Todo on this behavior. He did not get a pop up alert saying malware detected. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

• Administrators

Please try installing the latest version of ESS 8.0.312 that has been released today and should also address the issue with Computer scan window freezing.

Here more information about OpenCandy: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3701-block-pua-inside-installers-from-nero-burning-rom-orbit-downloader-imgburn-dvdvideosoft-install-them-without-opencandy

However I don't know what this (and Partition Manager Free and Eye Candy) have to do with this issue...

Open Candy is what I ment, couldn't remember the name. I don't know if it was in their installer for any other of their programs, but it was in the installer for Partition Manage Free the last two times I upgraded. I am also very sure there was no opt-out. That and CCleaner are the only programs I use all the time that come with crapware.

Yes usually there is an opt-out. However ESS detect such things as PUA as they might be unwanted. As for OpenCandy you will find much more information (including firewall rules you can use to block it, while still installing the software you want) in the topic I linked ealier.

However I still don't know how this is related to this topic.

So back to topic.

@josifusz

Well... your 99% sure, based on what? On your assumption. Although it's more a speculation.

As you maybe know you can submit files to ESET so they will check them, however I really don't think it is malware. Especially as this seems to be a often used product.

So you blame the developers for having a malicoius will, creating software which should deliberately damage computers or do other bad things. Such a thing shouldn't be said easily. Especially not if you have no real evidence.

As you're not a malware researcher (at least I think you aren't ;)) you may not be able to provide proves, but at least some significant evidences.

Okay if you think this blocking of the GUI is a evidence (now regardless whether it was really caused by the software or not) you at first have to "prove" that it is deliberately. Otherwise it could just be an incompatibility.

So just a counter question: Why is it in your opinion no incompatibility? (assuming it is really caused by the software)

Edited by rugk

True dat rugk!  :D

The only way Easeus Todo Backup could cause an issue with Eset is if you were currently running a backup and then trying to run a full scan with Eset. Again Easeus Todo Backup does not run in real time. Therefore it cannot cause an issue and make the GUI hang in Eset. On top of it any backup program when it runs uses a lot of resources. So any program will hang. If I am doing a backup with either Easeus or Aoemi and I try to open a browser it tales 15-20 seconds for that browser to open. I would be interested in knowing why he need to re-install his OS when Windows 8 gives you the option to restore the computer without messing with the OS. Isn't that why we image our pc's in the first place. So we don't have to re install your OS? I image my pc at least 2x week. That way any issues occur I can mount the stored image and be backup and running like nothing ever happened. 

Edited by LabVIEW707